Sigma 2 Meter Electric Sailplane ALES (ARF) - RC Groups

Sigma 2 Meter Electric Sailplane ALES (ARF)

Available through Hobbyking, the Sigma is an overgrown DLG.

Splash

Available Through Hobbyking

Hobbyking has just announced the Sigma 2 Meter Electric Sailplane ALES (ARF). This electric thermal soarer featured full-house controls and a Mark Drela designed AG series airfoil. Hobbyking states the Sigma as suitable for the popular 200W/kg and ALES class of soaring as well as the internationally accredited F5J class.

CLICK HERE for more info on the Sigma 2 Meter Electric Sailplane ALES (ARF)

Features:

• Lightweight construction
  • Fully composite construction
  • Vacuum bagged wings
  • Drela airfoils
  • Quick to build

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 2000mm
  • Length: 1130mm
  • Wing area: 30.5dm sq
  • Wing section: AG 35-36-37
  • Flying weight: 600~620g
  • Wing loading: 19.7g/dm sq
  • Suggested motor: 2212 1000kv

Required Items:

• 4 x 9g Metal Servos (Aileron cut-out L24xW11xH33) (Rud-Ele W24xL12)
  • 2212 1000kv outrunner motor
  • 34mm spinner
  • Folding prop (size to match chosen motor - 9~12")
  • 25A ESC w/BEC
  • 800~1200 2/3s LiPoly battery
  • Transmitter/receiver
  • Adhesives

Jul 18, 2016, 08:09 PM
Looks do-able.. I am not a fan of the tail arrangement though. I admit that I have be looking at something that closely fits this bill.
Jul 19, 2016, 02:24 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Wake me up when there's a price quoted, and after a few have flown.

Most F5J's in my area are towards the 3.5~4meter wingspan.
Jul 19, 2016, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by up&away
wake me up when there's a price quoted, and after a few have flown.

Most f5j's in my area are towards the 3.5~4meter wingspan.
$292-
Jul 19, 2016, 09:20 AM

Sigma 2 Meter Electric Sailplane ALES (ARF)

What's with the plastic centre piece? Looks heavy and draggy - can wings be joined simply with resin & cf cloth instead? Also does it come with ailerons (and servo pockets) pre cut or does that have to done by owner - pic looks like they are not cut...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 19, 2016, 09:28 AM
Rohacell sweet....thats some aerospace grade core!
Jul 19, 2016, 10:13 AM
Closed Account
Looks interesting but won't be competitive in ALES or F5J against 3 and 4 meter molded sailplanes. The wings are bagged foam, no rohacell.
Jul 19, 2016, 10:48 AM
That is one ugly glider.
Jul 20, 2016, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 7
What's with the plastic centre piece? Looks heavy and draggy - can wings be joined simply with resin & cf cloth instead? Also does it come with ailerons (and servo pockets) pre cut or does that have to done by owner - pic looks like they are not cut...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice!... styrofoam wings and rohacell tail no less!
The centre piece looks like it might be some kind of jig for joining/drilling the wings to be removed once they're joined.
Last edited by union1; Jul 20, 2016 at 02:49 AM.
Jul 20, 2016, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDARR
That is one ugly glider.
There's a few out there! Lol

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder in most cases (it's a pretty standard looking glider as far as I can see)
You can't deny that it looks fit for purpose though!
Jul 20, 2016, 08:50 AM
Cumulus Altimus
I don't think this is to compete in the F5J class but it is for 400 class F5J. And it looks just fine once the prop and spinner is installed, I think also the ail and servo pockets has to be cut there are dimension that is posted to cut the ail.I have been flying a Versus for over a year that I converted to E version with a 22g motor spinner and boy it's a hoot.
Ben
Last edited by FASTBEN; Jul 20, 2016 at 09:01 AM.
Jul 20, 2016, 04:16 PM
Balsa Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1
Nice!... styrofoam wings and rohacell tail no less!
The centre piece looks like it might be some kind of jig for joining/drilling the wings to be removed once they're joined.
It is a jig for gluing. I am flying one of these currently. I am importing this model and selling through my website as the Dos E. I started a blog post the other day.

I run a 3S 1300 and 1550. Power use like a Park 400 or similar.
Jul 20, 2016, 05:33 PM
Cumulus Altimus
I see that your price is $30 more than HK, I know you are an individual dealer, is that including shipping?
Jul 20, 2016, 05:56 PM
Balsa Builder
Orders over $50 get free US shipping. Since everything I have listed right now is over $50, well, its free within the US.

I am receiving these models bulk packed by the factory and then I personally do the final QC of the model before shipping. Additionally, my understanding is that HK will only have this one time since the factory no longer sells to HK. So if you ever needed spare parts, or another model, I will continue to support it. This was actually one of the last items I ordered for HK when I was with them.

The factory has a UK supplier(Services EU and UK) who will probably be selling this model as well. (I'll post their link once I get it from the factory as I can't remember who it is)

Also, to answer your queries about the aileron servo cutouts. They are pre-cut, at least on the stock I've been getting. I used HS-45's in my last one and they drop right in without any real trimming. (after you trim the servo mount tabs off that is)
Last edited by Paul Susbauer; Jul 20, 2016 at 06:02 PM.
Jul 20, 2016, 07:06 PM
Not just ugly , butt ugly .