Nov 04, 2016, 04:11 PM

Tailfeather Progress

Replacement vertical and horizontal tailfeather cores with Kevlar/glass edging, Kevlar skins and T300 uni-carbon spar caps and waxed and painted mylars.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2017, 04:26 PM
Is there any more reviews on this plane thanks don.
May 08, 2017, 07:19 PM
I can fix that ...
Donald, and the group.

Looks like this subject fell-off the radar in November. I bought one of these from HobbyKing a few weeks ago and built it using the comments from Paul and the others that were contributing earlier last year. I took it out for its maiden this morning and the the plane flies great. I needed to do some tweaking that I have found to be best done at home, but I am completely happy with his build - more to come as I get it dialed-in

John
May 12, 2017, 10:45 PM
rip
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdalejohn
Donald, and the group.

Looks like this subject fell-off the radar in November. I bought one of these from HobbyKing a few weeks ago and built it using the comments from Paul and the others that were contributing earlier last year. I took it out for its maiden this morning and the the plane flies great. I needed to do some tweaking that I have found to be best done at home, but I am completely happy with his build - more to come as I get it dialed-in

John
I been happy with the plane... as far as flying for fun... let us know ur results
May 13, 2017, 12:04 PM
Need to get back to work on mine. Been distracted with planning and procuring bits and tooling for an F3RES ship.
May 17, 2017, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Donald, and the group.

John
Thank you John any info will be helpful I'm still considering this sailplane thanks. If you have any pictures that be great thanks
May 22, 2017, 11:01 PM
I can fix that ...
Sorry to be late responding, still recovering from a unexpected trip out of town. Here is an update on my Sigma Build:

This is a nice model out of the box there is minimal building/completing to do and it only takes an hour or so of actual time spread over a day to two. Most everything has already been covered in the earlier posts so here are my changes:
* used new control wires and sleeves - I used some .032 wire and Teflon sleeve I had on hand rather than the 1mm wire included in the kit. I attached the
control wire sleeves to the outside of the tube- personnel preference as I can see that they are secure and not flexing
* replaced the plywood motor mount with one that I made out of PC board that was left over from another project. I started with the plywood one but it became more unmanageable as I went along and eventually I chucked it into the garbage can.
* paint is Design Mater floral paint which is light weight and is intended for painting foam so there is no danger to the if finds its way through the glass/Kevlar disser cloth

The first day out was great and I had a list of tweaks to do when I got home. I saw a "rant" on one of these lists about the constant wind where he was living ... I think that I was in the same situation as it was very windy for days after my first flights. Then I got up one morning and no wind, so off to the field I went. I was having a grand time with the glider - I would launch to about 200 feet and then catch a thermal that would take it to 800 feet or so and then I would dive down to about 200 feet and start again - did this a few times while the wind started to pick up. I managed to get back to the field but a sudden gust of wind (much easier to blame the wind than a lack of visual awareness) came-up and I caught the wing tip on a safety fence on the edge of the field - short version - broke the boom in two but everything else survived with some minor compression creases and scratches. The boom was split as well as broke. I had a few booms that I purchased for an Allegro build several years ago (Goodwinds.com) and with a bit of effort one worked as a suitable replacement (the supplied boom fits nicely on the outside of the pod but the replacement was smaller and fit nicely on the inside of the pod) Here are some photo I took after the repairs.

Someone posted earlier that it looks like a enlarged HLG and it does ... I'm thinking that here is too much dihedral (it is very responsive to ailerons but not so much with the rudder) and the vertical fin looks large to me . After flying it a bit more I may reduce the amount of dihedral but in the interim I'm going to have fun flying it. In comparison to other 2 meter offerings, the Sigma appears to me to be good value for the money.
Last edited by scottsdalejohn; Aug 12, 2018 at 10:04 AM.
May 25, 2017, 04:13 PM
rip
Can you consistently fly 7 mins or 10 mins after running the motor for 30 seconds? I'm having a hard time doing so.

Quote:
Sorry to be late responding, still recovering from a unexpected trip out of town. Here is an update on my Sigma Build:

This is a nice model out of the box there is minimal building/completing to do and it only takes an hour or so of actual time spread over a day to two. Most everything has already been covered in the earlier posts so here are my changes:
* used new control wires and sleeves - I used some .032 wire and Teflon sleeve I had on hand rather than the 1mm wire included in the kit. I attached the
control wire sleeves to the outside of the tube- personnel preference as I can see that they are secure and not flexing
* replaced the plywood motor mount with one that I made out of PC board that was left over from another project. I started with the plywood one but it became more unmanageable as I went along and eventually I chucked it into the garbage can.
* paint is Design Mater floral paint which is light weight and is intended for painting foam so there is no danger to the if finds its way through the glass/Kevlar disser cloth

The first day out was great and I had a list of tweaks to do when I got home. I saw a "rant" on one of these lists about the constant wind where he was living ... I think that I was in the same situation as it was very windy for days after my first flights. Then I got up one morning and no wind, so off to the field I went. I was having a grand time with the glider - I would launch to about 200 feet and then catch a thermal that would take it to 800 feet or so and then I would dive down to about 200 feet and start again - did this a few times while the wind started to pick up. I managed to get back to the field but a sudden gust of wind (much easier to blame the wind than a lack of visual awareness) came-up and I caught the wing tip on a safety fence on the edge of the field - short version - broke the boom in two but everything else survived with some minor compression creases and scratches. The boom was split as well as broke. I had a few booms that I purchased for an Allegro build several years ago (Goodwinds.com) and with a bit of effort one worked as a suitable replacement (the supplied boom fits nicely on the outside of the pod but the replacement was smaller and fit nicely on the inside of the pod) Here are some photo I took after the repairs.

Someone posted earlier that it looks like a enlarged HLG and it does ... I'm thinking that here is too much dihedral (it is very responsive to ailerons but not so much with the rudder) and the vertical fin looks large to me . After flying it a bit more I may reduce the amount of dihedral but in the interim I'm going to have fun flying it. In comparison to other 2 meter offerings, the Sigma appears to me to be good value for the money.
May 25, 2017, 10:40 PM
I can fix that ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco
Can you consistently fly 7 mins or 10 mins after running the motor for 30 seconds? I'm having a hard time doing so.
I have not flown the Sigma enough to answer that question, but I will try to remember get back to you with an answer. My initial response (after not that many flights) is it's as good, if not better than the majority of 2 meter motor gliders I have owned. I tend to build everything I fly, so it was nice to take something out of the box rather than starting with a blank stack of balsa,foam and/or composite materials for a change.

BTW, I don't think that I could see it if I ran the motor for 30 seconds, perhaps I need to rethink my power set-up
May 26, 2017, 10:24 AM
I'll chime in on flight times.

I usually run my motor for about 15s, which takes me up to 400' (based on my frsky variometer). On a sunny, light-wind day, I can then enjoy about 30 minutes of thermal flying. It depends on my flying style and how sore my neck is getting.

Now, remember - I'm a newbie pilot. I'm self-taught when it comes to thermal chasing. I just fly at the same location and tend to know where the thermals like to hang out. Also, I fly at a field that has lots of hawks. I go where they are, while maintaining a respectful distance.

I run a very small, cheap 1100kv, gold-can outrunner from HK. I have a 25a speed controller and an 1000mah battery. If I ran the motor full-time, I'd get about 3 minutes of runtime.

I have a 3 position switch programed to provide about 5mm of camber or 5mm of reflex. Camber for when I'm in the lift. Reflex when I'm on the move.

I hope you all are enjoying this plane as much as I am!
Jun 06, 2017, 08:29 PM
Hobby King is now selling this 2 meter for $229 plus shipping. Mine arrived this morning. This sure looks like a bargain. The wings are beautifully done.
Jun 08, 2017, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by efastslow
Hobby King is now selling this 2 meter for $229 plus shipping. Mine arrived this morning. This sure looks like a bargain. The wings are beautifully done.
That is a great deal. A buddy from the local club just ordered one as well.

Finally got around to completing my version (A Dos E from North Planes. Interesting that HK must have flexed its purchasing muscle and driven out North Planes and Hobby Club, who were also importing the identical ship.) with a homebrewed tail group based on the mini-Supra.

AUW right at 600 gm with a 3s 1000mah pack.

I'll maiden it as soon as it stops raining. Ahh, summer in the Pacific Northwest.
Jul 07, 2017, 12:58 PM

CG Location

Can someone comment on the correct CG location? Is 50 to 55 mm from the LE as stated in the manual correct? My bird needs as lot of ballast in the nose to achieve that.
Jul 07, 2017, 08:15 PM
I can fix that ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave
Can someone comment on the correct CG location? Is 50 to 55 mm from the LE as stated in the manual correct? My bird needs as lot of ballast in the nose to achieve that.
Mine is in the back of the range at 55-56 mm from LE ... I have found it's safe to start at the the front of the manufactures range and work backwards as I get familiar with the model.
John
Jul 08, 2017, 11:35 AM
Thanks John.

Quick Reply