This thread is privately moderated by Edge767, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 18, 2016, 03:08 PM
AMA 52726
Thread OP
Discussion

Took Out the Mustangs (and Formation Flying, too!)

This past Saturday morning, I took out my two E-Flite Mustangs: the 1.1m and 1.2m versions.

Both are great flyers but in different ways. While the 1.1m Mustang is a great, solid flyer, it is the faster of the two with its two-blade prop. It does a good job of flying through the wind, but its small size still allows it to buffet noticeably. Landings are nice if you keep the speed up, even with full flaps. I now only aim for two-point landings and this ensures that the plane doesn't bounce. Three-point landings invite bounciness due to the springy landing gear struts.

The 1.2m Mustang is amazing, albeit a little slower. Its scale details are very nice, and the extra 4" of wingspan really do a lot to make this plane a more stable flyer. Landing characteristics are a lot better than the 1.1m version and with fully deployed flaps, acts just like a full-size plane: adjust approach speed with nose attitude (pitch axis) while regulating rate of descent with throttle. I have had some of the most pleasurable landings with this new Mustang.

After some flying, a club member asked me to do some formation flying with him and his P-38. We did some formation flying last week, and it was a lot of fun, so we went out for a sortie together. It ended up being a lot of fun. A few close calls that probably looked a lot closer than they really were, but the passes and circuits with the two warbirds flying together was quite spectacular. We put on our own airshow!

All in all, I had five flights on each Mustang for a combined 1 hour of total flying time. Weather was beautiful and I couldn't have asked for a better flying day.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply