Mar 10, 2018, 05:40 AM
Dethroned Knight of HD FPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
We know what it is commercially, the subject was "nobody knows how they achieve that technically".
Ehm... It's not black magic.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2018, 06:00 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Of course not, but they did do something that allows their system to outperform everything else. Since there isn't anything like it yet others obviously haven't figured it out.
Mar 10, 2018, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
That is inconsequential. The reason might simply be a business decision. Maybe people know what they are doing and how to replicate/improve on it, it's just a guaranteed economic loss to do so.
Mar 10, 2018, 06:33 AM
Happy FPV flyer
They would be very ill-advised then.

The Mavic Pro has become the benchmark in that regard and one of the major complaints you'll see on any system that's come out after it is that the transmission system is subpar compared to it...

Insufficient performance of digital FPV systems has been what's hampered their adoption until now, and their system solves that too..
Mar 10, 2018, 07:37 AM
Thread OP
Maybe the FPV market is too small to support that kind of development for its own sake. Maybe the best prospects of someone trying to do that is not to lose money after throwing half a million or so at the problem. Maybe DJI can subsidise the video link development cost because of outside investors and how it's not how they make money anyway. And maybe looking at a DJI Ocusync air unit transmitter and the price it's sold at would make anyone realise they are not making any money on that product and competing with someone practically doing market dumping would be mad.

That being said, this doesn't mean you can't just go a different route.
Mar 10, 2018, 07:46 AM
Happy FPV flyer
I do not think the market is too small at all. BUT you're not going to touch it until the product is good enough, so if it isn't it will seem like no-one's interested. They are, but you've got to give them something that suits them which people like Amimon did not do.

Nobody said you had to only aim for the hobby FPV market. There are lots of pros with deeper pockets that would like a good system too.

DJI ocusync is awesome technically but too limited for purposes other than FPV due to it's proprietary cam. Make something with more flexibility and similar performance and you can sell it to pros for $1000 or more. Will however be hard to sell something with lower performance since people now know what's possible so they'll pass and just wait for that.
Mar 16, 2018, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdrifters
I see you are struggling with the FPV Blue system. May I offer a little advise. I have flown 1.3 video systems since I have been flying, 6 years. These systems work well, but are all sensitive to interference. When mounting items on a plane, distance is you friend. Mounting a video transmitter on the outer tip of a wing is not uncommon to get separation. An idea to eliminate interference is to extend the antenna/transmitter/camera away from all other electronics, even if temporary, to sort out the issue. It would be a worth while experiment to temporarily mount the transmitter/camera/antenna on temporary pole (fiberglass or wood preferred) to get it away from the inference of the quad. A quick test would be worthwhile. Remember, distance is your friend.

For example, tape or ty-rap items to a rod, 12 to 18 inches away from the quad. Make a temporary installation to the quad, then test fly. It would be interesting to see the results.

Good luck.

Hector
Hector, thanks for the tips, but this is not due to interference with other electronics. I tried powering only the VTx and the issue still persists with the antenna being just feet away from the plane. Watch the video:
fpvblue_nosignal (0 min 46 sec)
Last edited by yurpet; Mar 16, 2018 at 12:49 AM.
Mar 16, 2018, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
^
DJI Mavic PRO Platinum and GoggleRE does not use "lightbridge", it uses "Occusync".
Both are HD transmission, and both are different....

I use Occusync, and I'm like you, a Fixed-Wing at heart!.

Even though its a quad copter, there is a "fixed wing" mode so it acts like a airplane.
Its kind of fake, but it gives you the feeling of ~VTOL-ish~
Thats why I bought it.

Carrying that analog 1.2 tripod killed the hobby for me,,,,
the DJI occuSync antenna's is ALL in the GogglesRE itself, and
getting to 4miles is easy with the DJI Mavic PRO Platinum.

there is a newer MavicPRO v2 coming out, and who knows, maybe 10miles in HD is coming.

p.s.
the only thing that sucks about DJI is that, you are at the mercy of whatever they put out.
Its not like our FPV hobby area where, we tinker, solder, and test and test and test.
You get what you buy, and you have no input.
ie....their batteries are different connectors each time they come out with a new model.
nothing is interchangeable....nothing!
Would it work with Vector FC? It's not mentioned in their specs.
Mar 16, 2018, 03:31 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
It will control the Vector but no telemetry or osd. When vector adds Mavlink support then you will get some telem.
Latest blog entry: HDZero Micro V3 - 1080P Is Here
Mar 16, 2018, 09:41 AM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
I've been following this thread with extreme interest from the beginning (from the FPVRed days...heh), because 1.3Ghz works very well for 99% of my FPV projects and applications and environments.

I'm especially interested in it's performance for a ground FPV vehicle, as issues with latency and strange video behavior when there is signal obstruction are not as critical in that application.

I used to be heavily in the Traxxas Emaxx and bought one of the first very high powered brushless motors and ESCs for ground use for it, on a group buy from Rumrunner hobbies, through an old, disbanded forum called MaxxTraxx. That motor and ESC combo (Lehner motors and ESC) cost almost $500. Nowadays, the price for a similar performing motor and ESC would be less than half that.

My point with all this is that people are interested, and early adopters are willing to pay for a new, niche product. Are there enough of us, wiling to pay enough, to recover the development costs? I have no idea. And that's the business risk FPVBlue, or anyone developing a brand new, advanced product for FPV, faces.

I sincerely hope there are enough of us...heh!
Mar 16, 2018, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
It will control the Vector but no telemetry or osd. When vector adds Mavlink support then you will get some telem.
Also, it looks like the only telemetry that DJI shows at the moment is the battery voltage
Mar 17, 2018, 05:48 AM
No. It shows battery voltage, battery current, speed horizontal/vertical, artificial horizon.
Mar 17, 2018, 06:03 AM
Please discuss DJI somewhere else...!! Too much off topic lately! I’m here to read about FPV.blue..
Mar 17, 2018, 07:15 AM
Off topic can be a problem, but there's not a lot of other news, to be sure, and as the DJI kit is a competing product, it's useful to see what opinions on the good and bad aspects are.
Mar 17, 2018, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
I sincerely hope there are enough of us...heh!
Me too. The entertainment that wireless, high definition, and low latency video feeds will provide us is very exciting. We need competition for lower prices and we need further development for better performance. The only way we get either is the market is large enough to support development and multiple manufacturers. Therefore, the community needs to promote our hobbies and that is also why we should be very grateful to forums like this as well as YouTube channels like UAVFutures, FliteTest, and others.

Promoting stuff like ground FPV is another way for whole to benefit the whole and I thank those at the Tonka Summit forum and website for their work. There is another amazing forum for FPV car and other ground projects that is excellent as well. There isn’t enough product support IMO but without any seriou buzz behind the ground FPV, the products are unlikely to be developed. Henry the RC car helps.

Quick Reply