Jul 15, 2016, 03:36 PM
Thread OP

Inflated / Swollen Lipo Battery Pack - Dangerous????

I recently found my Turnigy 1000mAh 3 Cell 11.1V Li-Po battery is inflated / swollen, as the picture attached shown.

Left: normal battery
Right: swollen battery

They are the same kind!

By touching the surface, it feels resilient...It might be some gas trapped in there, might be something else. I noticed it after I took it off from my quad, so it was actually discharging normally. And the voltmeter reads normal value. Is this a normal phenomenon or a dangerous indication?

If you have any clue or know any old discussion over this, please instruct/direct me! Thank you a lot!
Last edited by grantjerry; Jul 15, 2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: capitalize the title
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2016, 03:48 PM
This is usually caused by discharging at too high a rate and it is evidence of battery damage. If you keep using it, keep an eye on the performance. This condition is not reversible.
Jul 15, 2016, 04:58 PM
Space Coast USA
Watch it especially during charging. Don't go away and leave it charging.
Jul 15, 2016, 07:31 PM
That advice goes for ALL Lipos. Never charge unattended - and invest in a fire resistant container.
Jul 15, 2016, 11:07 PM
Swelling is sometimes called puffing. A Search for puffing in this Forum gives about 600 threads. Very common and something you should become educated on. A good read on Lipo battery care is here: http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
Jul 17, 2016, 12:22 PM
As has been said, it's reasonably common. Puffing indicates that the battery has sustained some damage but does not necessarily mean you shouldn't keep using it. I know guys who have kept flying mildly puffed packs for years.
Jul 18, 2016, 12:07 AM
jofro
Even I do so, tho, in lower current draw models to make most of them. I still use few slightly puffed up packs which are 6-7 years old, still serving the purpose.
I also know someone who got his way of treating it, "tho I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone doing it!!!!" He said to me that he punched a little hole in the swollen pack and put it in the vice to squize it out! Oughch!!!!
Jul 18, 2016, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Even I do so, tho, in lower current draw models to make most of them. I still use few slightly puffed up packs which are 6-7 years old, still serving the purpose.
I also know someone who got his way of treating it, "tho I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone doing it!!!!" He said to me that he punched a little hole in the swollen pack and put it in the vice to squize it out! Oughch!!!!
Sounds like a recipie for disaster, risks shorting internally i would think.
Jul 19, 2016, 03:15 AM
jofro
I agree, most of local people I know using them even keep them inside their houses and garages thinking they are just little toys.

Quick Reply