Jul 13, 2016, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Question

Super sportster or Escapade?

I'm just recently bought my first glow plane ever. It was a 2200mm tower trainer from the early 2000's and had a evo .61nx in it. Long story short I was tired of doing lazy laps and brought it up 2 mistakes high to try a simple loop. It didnt pull out of it.( I think I stalled out the 15 year old Hitec HS-322 on the elevator) So now im stuck with a glow engine and I want to see it in a plane again.

So my question is can can I use a Evolution .61nx in either a supersportser .40 or escapade 40. I want something thats over powered and under 1400mm. My main concern is will it fit and if the evo which for its displacement weighs alot more than others (25oz)vs will turn my plane into a brick.

Also for servo selection. I plan on using one of the HS-322s for the rudder since i dont plan on doing knife edges. and maybe one for the throttle or just a 9g servo I have laying around if i need to save on weight. But Should I trust it with my ailerons? Or should I scrap them all and pick up some HS-311s?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2016, 05:20 PM
I just want to go fly!
I think both would work just great. Of course I'm biased to the sportster my kit built 60 size.
Last edited by walter3rd; Jul 17, 2016 at 06:01 PM.
Aug 03, 2016, 09:37 AM
Arrowhead
Must say I like the look of the Sportster, but haven't owned or flown one. I have owned the Escapade, best $100 I ever spent on RC. Tough as heck, quick & agile.

I suspect either will make you happy. The landing gear on the Escapade are more robust I think. Solid aluminum versus wire on the Sportster.
Aug 03, 2016, 07:48 PM
I just want to go fly!
Or do as I did and go aluminum fuse mount instead of wing mount wire gear.
Jun 27, 2018, 07:29 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
Or do as I did and go aluminum fuse mount instead of wing mount wire gear.
Wow, that's the prettiest SS I've ever seen! I did the same LG mod to mine and ground handling is great. What is the hatch in the nose? Is yours electric?

Tony
Jun 27, 2018, 06:28 PM
A man with too many toys
I like the Super Sportster better, especially the larger ones. The Super Sportster 60 is one of my all time favorite airplanes. I would like to get another one but I think they are out of production. Anyone know where I can get a kit?

Jun 28, 2018, 05:43 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I like the Super Sportster better, especially the larger ones. The Super Sportster 60 is one of my all time favorite airplanes. I would like to get another one but I think they are out of production. Anyone know where I can get a kit?

I built a 60 sized Sportster from the plans. All the info is there, so you if you can't find a kit, you can still build one.
Jul 03, 2018, 04:51 PM
I just want to go fly!
Yes mine is electric
Jul 03, 2018, 05:08 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
Yes mine is electric
Interesting, I may do one electric as well. Will a Power 60 on a 6s fly it? What do you have in yours?

Thanks,
Tony
Jul 04, 2018, 05:36 PM
I just want to go fly!
That’s plenty. I fly mine on s power 46 on .5s . I just got some 6s batts to Try as well. That tiny hatch in front is just to gain some motor access. From that back to canopy front is a large battery hatch.
Jul 19, 2021, 04:50 AM

azdg

thanks to all for the info.

as "fate" would have it, i've got access to both.

as for the money, not to good.

but heh, it's only money
Aug 01, 2021, 10:38 PM
Loved my .60 ss
So much so I'm looking for a new wing kit..

Quick Reply