Sep 05, 2004, 04:11 PM
The RC Geek
Thread OP
Hi guys,

Finished up the dorsal yesterday. Just need to final sand one spot on the back bone transition to the dorsal. I also started doing some work on the fuselage. Here are some descriptions of the pics:

1) Tip block glued in place prior to sanding. Tip is a two piece lamination glued together.
2) Tip block sanded to shape.
3) Backbone to dorsal transition (filler). Prior to glassing, I wanted to achieve a nice transition. USed a bit of model magic balsa filler to build it up and then sanded a nice transition. I traced the backbone crossection onto the dorsal piece and sanded to match. Final saded it while held to the fuselage.
4) Backbone to dorsal transition complete. Just need to final sand one spot on the opposite side and the dorsal is ready for glass.
5) Dorsal overall. Final touchup will be done once the dorsal is glassed and installed onto the fuse. The main fan hatch ends at this point on the fuselage (you'll see soon. ).

Chris
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2004, 04:24 PM
The RC Geek
Thread OP

Fuselage

Now on to the fuselage. The rear most bulkhead was installed and the wing spar slot was cut into the fuselage. Also, I started cleaning up the fuse. This being the first part, there are usually some spots that require a bit of filling...hence the red glazing putty in the pics. Here are some pic descriptions.

1) Rear most bulkhead. Some alteration was required to get a nice fit...will be updated in the laser cut parts.
2) Installed in the fuselage. Set it in place as I liked and glued it in place using medium CA.
3) Wing spar notch cut. This will be handy in the next steps. Prior to cutting the elevons out on the wing, I want to do similar as I did on the dorsal and get a nice wing to fuselage match. To do this, I will cut the main fan hatch, and install the fan bulkhead(s) and glue the wing spar in place (wing spar glues to main fan bulkhead). Then with the wings held in place with the spar and some tape, I'll fill with model magic and sand a nice transition one side at a time. To setup for that, the wing spar notch was cut.
4) Overall. As you can see, I started cleaning up some of the fuse. First parts always need a little extra TLC before paint.
5) Another overall shot. She's getting there.

From here, the next steps are to start cutting the hatches out of the fuse. I hope to start that today or tomorrow...gotta do some baby preperation stuff today, so likely tomorrow.

Chris
Sep 05, 2004, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMang

From here, the next steps are to start cutting the hatches out of the fuse. I hope to start that today or tomorrow...gotta do some baby preperation stuff today, so likely tomorrow.

Chris
Chris,

She looks like a really sweet design, that is pretty easy to get together. I'm sure it must feel good to see it come together.

Congratulations on the forthcoming birth! Is this your first baby? When's the due date?

Regards!

Paul
Sep 07, 2004, 10:11 AM
The RC Geek
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest
Chris,

She looks like a really sweet design, that is pretty easy to get together. I'm sure it must feel good to see it come together.

Congratulations on the forthcoming birth! Is this your first baby? When's the due date?

Regards!

Paul
Thanks Paul! It's been a fun project so far...and surprisingly, I haven't had any major mess ups on the parts. I guess all those late evenings paid off. But, she ain't finished yet.

The baby is due the beginning of October...rapidly approaching!

Chris
Sep 07, 2004, 11:15 AM
The RC Geek
Thread OP

Main Fan Hatch

Ok guys, here's the next installment. It was a busy weekend, but I did get the main fan hatch all setup. Came out pretty nice...just needs a little clean up on the seperation line and it will be sweet. I'll show how I do that when I get to it. So, here goes. I've got 12 pics of the process , so please bare with me.

1) Mark the hatch with a pencil. It's scribed into the fuse and is along some panel lines.
2) Using a sharp razor saw cut out the hatch. I used masking tape as an alignment tool to make sure I didn't wander. The lines are scribed and are just a bit too shallow to free-hand the cut using the groove for alignment.
3) This is the fan mount bulkhead assembly. Fan mounts are installed prior to installing into the airplane.
4) Fan shroud placed in the blukhead. This gives an idea of how the fan is intended to sit. The mounts are such that the fan can be moved back and forth to accomadate the cg if necessary. Can be moved up to an inch or back or forward.
5) Install bulkhead in place.

more pics coming...

Chris
Sep 07, 2004, 11:31 AM
The RC Geek
Thread OP
Next steps...

1) Next is the forward bulkhead. This supports the inlets as they come to the fan. The opening may be widened once I finalize the inlet design.
2) Install 3/16"x1/8" balsa strips on the sides of the hatch opening with aprroximately 1/16" exposed in the opening. Helps stiffen the opening and leaving the 1/16" exposed acts as a ledge for the hatch to set on.
3) Now the forward hatch former installed with 1/16" exposed in the opening. Two 1/8" dowel pins key the hatch into place at the front. I installed the former into the fuse first. I then placed the hatch former in place in the hatch opening using the dowel pins leaving a 1/16" gap between the two. Put a bit of glue on the former and then set the hatch down where I liked it. Picked it up and final glued the former into the hatch. This gets you the correct alignment and avoids any miss-matched keying.
4) Install the rear hatch former. This goes on the fuselage side only. Again, 1/16" is left exposed in the opening to act as a ledge for the hatch to set on.
5) All formers installed and ready to go. Next up is hatch attachment.

two more pics coming...

Chris
Sep 07, 2004, 11:37 AM
The RC Geek
Thread OP
Ok, last up is the hatch attachment. Using 3 sets of rare earth magnets (available at Radio Shack), the back of the hatch is held in place. Used a bit of scrap balsa for bases for the magnets to attach to in the fuse. Works great.

1) magnets in place.
2) Completed hatch ready for business.

Updates may be a bit slow this coming week as my entire week seems to be filled in the evenings. But of course I'll be making time to get some work done...even if I'm out there at midnight.

Chris
Sep 14, 2004, 10:40 AM
The RC Geek
Thread OP

After a week of no progress... :o

Ok guys, I am finally able to get back on the Skyray. Last week was a dud as every night during the week and each day of the weekend, I had something going on. Well, that has subsided for the moment so back to work! First item of business was to clean up the main hatch. Here's a process on how I do that.

1) Only covering sections at a time, I mix up a bit of Split Second (lt weight bondo) and cover the hatch seem with it.
2) When the bondo gets to what I call "B" stage I cut the seem of the hatch with a sharp razor blade. "B" stage refers to the point at which the bondo begins to harden, but remains rubbery. It's solid enough to hold it's shape, but is really easy to cut with a sharp razor blade. Also, as I cut, I use the hatch itself as the guide (no rulers or anything) so it's important to have a reference of where the hatch seem is...hence only doing this in sections until the whole hatch is complete. Oh, and no I'm not left handed.
3) The whole hatch has now been treated with the "Bondo trick" and is ready for sanding.
4) Hatch sanded and primed. It's kind of difficult to really see the difference from the pictures, but the seem has now been reduced to something that would resemble more of a panel line than an open seem. (I know, I'm anal. )
5) To help hold the shape of the hatch itself, I opted to glue 1/8" balsa to the inside of the hatch...ensuring there is no interference with the ledge.

Next up is the wing prep for cutting the elevons.

Chris
Sep 14, 2004, 10:49 AM
The RC Geek
Thread OP
As I described earlier, I want to get a nice wing to fuse transition before cutting the elevons out. Well I glued the wing spar in place and using some tape held the wing in place and filled in any gaps with Model Magic. In truth, at this point I am only concerned with the transition at the elevon itself as once the wing is glued in place I can clean the rest of that up (is glued before glassing). It's just a little easier to do this before the elevons are hinged.

1) Wing spar epoxied in place. Bottom right corner shows the fit inside the fuse. The spar glues directly to the fan mount bulkhead.
2) Wing in place and filler applied. Elevon area has been sanded. The rest I will take care of after the wings are glued.

Next is the elevons process...

Chris
Last edited by JetMang; Sep 14, 2004 at 10:51 AM. Reason: oops! forgot the pictures.
Sep 14, 2004, 11:00 AM
The RC Geek
Thread OP
Now on to the elevons. They are intended to be cut out and then cap spars applied to each surface. With that in mind, I proceeded on to cutting the elevons:

1) Elevon cut out. I cut it 1/4" back from the hinge line so is now ready for the 1/4" cap spar on the surface.
2) Measuring a total of 1/2" from the hinde line (1/4" cap spar on surface, 1/4" cap spar on wing), I cut the remainder off of the wing.
3) I then installed balsa blocks to accept the robart hinge points in the wing. The surface isn't as much an issue for this. 4 hinge points are intended, but only three blocks are needed in the open structure. The fourth hinge is located in the tip block.
4) Cap spars glued in place and ready for sanding.

This was as far as I got last night...so will continue tonight. I did also begin glassing the dorsal. Once it's done, the intention is to post the process I employed to do that. That's something that seems to be asked a lot.

Chris
Last edited by JetMang; Sep 14, 2004 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Doh! Forgot the pictures again!
Sep 14, 2004, 11:06 AM
Col.Hooligan Air Force

looks Good

Hi Chris
Will the"Ford" be ready for Mesa? It should fly Like a "Ray out of hell" as belly flopper

from the "darkside"
Semper Fi
Joe
Sep 14, 2004, 11:23 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Are concerned that as belly flopper that the balance tab might be broken off during landings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMang
Now on to the elevons. They are intended to be cut out and then cap spars applied to each surface. With that in mind, I proceeded on to cutting the elevons:
Sep 14, 2004, 12:21 PM
The RC Geek
Thread OP
@Joe, yep, the Ford will be flying and ready to go for Mesa...at least, that's the plan!

@augusta, As I'm installing retracts on this one, it's not an issue. But if someone was to build it as a belly flopper, I guess it would be up to the builder. On a grass surface it's more likely to catch than on tarmac or cement. Plus, not knowing yet the amount of travel required, it's tough to say. I'll have a better idea once it's flying. Something to think about. I'll be sure to make a note on the plans regarding that. Thanks!

Chris
Sep 14, 2004, 03:18 PM
Dieselized User
The mass/aero balances were left off the RBC Skyrays for that very reason.

Greg
Sep 14, 2004, 06:47 PM
Nice Chris...getting some good pointers here!

Quick Reply