Aug 31, 2004, 11:47 AM
The RC Geek

JHH Skyray (F4D-1) Build Thread

Hi Guys,

Well, here she is at last, our EDF F4D Skyray production prototype is ready for the first build. We pulled the first fuselage from our new molds this past weekend. The fuse is pre-primered with molded panel lines and details, etc. I spent lots of time detailing the plug. Anyways, for those of you not familiar with the airplane, this will be our second (and production representative) prototype of this bird. Specs are as follows:

Fan Unit: Minifan 480
Scale: 1/14
Length: 37 inches
Wingspan: 28.5 inches
Landing Gear: Mini JHH Retracts/Bungee Launch

The build is a composite fuse with built up wings and stab with all parts, formers, etc. being laser cut. I've designed up all the laser cut parts necessary (at least I hope so ) and will be making changes and additions as I go as they are necessary. Also, I'll be installing retracts as well in this build.

I've attached a couple pictures: a shot of the plug to show the detail, the fuse and molds, the fuse, a shot showing "scale" to the airplane (sorry I couldn't get a better "model" to hold the fuse ), and one of the beta kit contents.

So starts the build. I hope you guys will find this thread useful. There is a previous thread about the airplane here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=200740&page=3

Chris
www.jethangar.com
Last edited by JetMang; Aug 31, 2004 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added pic of "beta" kit
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2004, 11:51 AM
Looks like it is going to be a fun build, please add the retracts too

Tom - Milwaukee
Aug 31, 2004, 11:56 AM
The RC Geek

The Wing

First up is the wing construction. I had the wing together and sheeted in no time. Series of pics as follows:

1 Parts layout
2 construction finished
3 sheeting made
4 top of wing sheeted
5 wing ready for leading edge, trailing edge and wing tip.

I started removing the parts at about 6:30 or so last night. Got the wing to this point by about 9. So, in a couple hours, I had the left wing essentially together and sheeted. There was one small thing noted as the surface spar notch was 1/16" too deep. It was right, but the laser cut surface spar I had cut out of 1/16" sheet instead of 1/8" sheet. I put it on the wrong sheet...doh!
Aug 31, 2004, 11:57 AM
The RC Geek
Already practicing my low flybys!
Aug 31, 2004, 12:00 PM
The RC Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCParkflyer
Looks like it is going to be a fun build, please add the retracts too

Tom - Milwaukee

Yep, that is the plan. The kits will actually come with the parts for retracts...including different mounts for rotating and non-rotating main gear. The builder can then choose which direction they want to go.

Chris
Aug 31, 2004, 12:15 PM
2018 EDF Jet Jam June 14-17

Nice Model

Chris,
The "Ford" looks great. What sort of power setup are you planning for it.
Is there room for a 4-5S2P lipoly setup with retracts?
Bob
Aug 31, 2004, 12:16 PM
Is this kit for sale now? I couldn't find it on your site.
Aug 31, 2004, 12:19 PM

Ford

Looks GREAT Chris, can't wait to see this one fly!
(Hopefully more than the video I got of the F-14 flying!!!!)
Last edited by S3NFO; Aug 31, 2004 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add
Aug 31, 2004, 01:06 PM
The RC Geek
Thanks guys!

@ Tom, the kit is not yet available...this is the first production prototype. A pre-production kit is listed on our site, but is from the old molds that the first prototype was built from.

@ Bob, I'm not sure about the 5s, but I'm sure a 4s would probably fit. I haven't made the ducting mold yet, so I'll be making provisions for getting batteries in there. The setup I'm looking at is a 3s4p pack, mf480 with kontronik fun480-42 with 70amp ESC. I'm looking for something other than, but comparable to the Hacker B40-7L that will give about 600 watts with the 3s pack.

@ S3NFO, Thanks! You're welcome to come to El Toro any time. Besides, in many ways the video is better anyways. LOL.

Chris
Last edited by JetMang; Aug 31, 2004 at 01:09 PM.
Aug 31, 2004, 02:12 PM
Chris!

With each picture I'm getting more and more excited. This one is defintely on my "to be acquired" list.

It looks great! I love the detail on the fuselage plug.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Paul
Sep 01, 2004, 11:12 AM
The RC Geek

more wing stuff

Well, did a little more last night. The left wing is done and ready to cut out the elevon. Right wing is about 80% finished only things remaining there are to sand the LE and TE and the wing tip block. Here are some pics of the left wing. Pics are as follows:

well, just uploaded and the pics are out of order...so, sorry about the strange description order below...

5) leading edge and trailing edge glued in place
4) TE and LE sanded to shape with the exception of the LE radius...that is done after the wing tip block is on and sanded.
3) Wing tip blocks. Two 1/4" thick parts laminated together.
1) Tip block installed and sanded and wing final sanding done
2) This one shows (kind of) the scale upward swoop (that's the technical term ) out at the wing tip. The profile is shown on the plans. I'll try to get a better picture of it tonight.

Chris
Last edited by JetMang; Sep 01, 2004 at 11:18 AM. Reason: apparently, pics upload in no particular order...
Sep 01, 2004, 11:24 AM
The RC Geek

now for the Right Wing

Here are some pics of the right wing construction now. Obviously, builds the same. Wing is built, sheeted and the LE and TE are glued in place. Just need to sand them and install the wing tip blocks. Pics are as follows:

1) Wing structure finished
2) Top sheeted
3) Wing fully sheeted and TE and LE glued in place
4)
5)

Chris
Sep 01, 2004, 03:36 PM
looks REALLY Nice Great job so far!!
Sep 01, 2004, 04:07 PM
Excellent Chris. Great work.

Steve
Sep 01, 2004, 05:36 PM