This thread is privately moderated by rinoki71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 12, 2016, 08:06 PM
RD's Drone Reviews
Thread OP
New Product

JJRC H31 Waterproof Drone text review w/pics

This quadcopter was provided to me by Gearbest.com for a comprehensive unbiased review.

Descriptions and Features:

Extraordinary waterproof ability enables 50cm depth underwater, while built-in LEDs are perfect for flying in the dark

Features from GearBest website:
*Waterproof: Enjoy the fun near a pool, lake, river, even drop into the water. Quadcopter's circuit board supports waterproof function, although quadcopter is submerged in the water, it can work well after picking it up from water

*2.4GHz control system: Ensures the stronger anti-interference performance and powerful signal

*Headless intelligent orientation control: This feature means that the direction of the drone depends on the user rather than the drone itself

*6 axis gyro: Providing the awesome stability during indoor and outdoor flight

*LCD display: It shows more details for your convenience to control this quadcopter

*360 degrees rotation: Professional cool and excellent flight action (3D Flips)

*Experience level: For beginner player

*Cool: It can flight with deformed propeller

*Changeable battery: Easy to charge and replace, enjoy your long flight experience without the worry of battery power shortage

*Colorful LED light: Suitable for flying in the dark at night

Packages includes:
1x JJRC H31 Quadcopter
1x USB battery charger
1x Transmitter
4x Extra propellers
4x Prop guards
1x 400mah 1s Lipo battery
1x phillips screwdriver
bag of extra screws
1 pair of SUNGLASSES

Name: 0712161853.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 574.4 KB
Description:

Battery:
1s 400mah Lipo
Name: 0712161849.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 394.5 KB
Description:

Design:
The JJRC H31 features a sleek futuristic design that is very appealing. The prop guards actually work well and aren't a useless add-on like seen on many toy quads. The landing gear snaps on and does the job though it can come loose so it's possible they could fall off in a crash. It's available in Green and White. It has a bracket on the bottom for attaching a camera. (MINE DID NOT INCLUDE A CAMERA). JJRC offers a 0.2MP, 2MP and 5MP camera that can be used. There is a connector on the bottom next to the ON/OFF switch for connecting the camera. The TX uses the throttle trim button to remotely take photos and video when a camera is attached. The props are very easy to bend and seems flimsy but that is by design. They actually work very well and can take a lot of abuse just as the quad as a whole can.

Name: 0712161824.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 616.9 KB
Description:

Name: 0712161825.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 367.7 KB
Description:

Name: 0712161825a.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 686.1 KB
Description:

Waterproof Claim?
Is it really waterproof? Well yes and no. It can definitely fly through water such as rain and can be submerged in water then flown again with no issues BUT it's not waterproof in the sense that water can't get inside the body. Nothing is watertight except the Flight Controller. The motors and battery compartment are not watertight. Water won't hurt the motors though I'm not sure it's particularly good for the battery. So I'd not recommend submerging it in water for long periods but it is safe to fly it over a lake or pond assuming you can easily retrieve if it falls in and it can definitely be flown in rain or even snow.

Transmitter:
The Transmitter is a nice size and well built and is comfortable to hold and fits an adults hands well but would also be fine for a youth. It's not exactly hobby grade but you can't expect it to be at this price point. It features an LCD screen which is handy for monitoring the Tx's batteries and the signal strength. The LCD also shows the % for each mode (50, 75 and 100 which corresponds to BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE and EXPERT flight levels. The PITCH and ROLLS trims are functional but the yaw is for entering headless mode (one press Right) and One Key Return (One press Right). You can set the compass heading for Headless mode by holding by sticks down and to the right. The instructions are very poorly translated if you speak English so it is difficult to tell what they are saying the sticks do when you hold down both sticks to the bottom right. In my video review I said it calibrated the Gyros which appears to be incorrect. I've yet to be able to find a combination for Gyro calibration. The knobs at the top turn but aren't functional as far as I can tell and there's no information on them in the instructions. The top right button is for doing 3D flips. Press it once and then press the right stick the direction you want the quad to flip. The top left button is for changing rate modes as discussed earlier. One press it will be twice which is Intermediate Mode (75%). A second press and it will beep three times and enter Expert Mode (100%). A third press and it will beep once which brings it back to Beginner Mode (50%) throttle.

Name: 0712161931.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 416.1 KB
Description:

Lighting:
The H31 features ORANGE LED's on the front arms, GREEN LED's on the rear arms and a RED LED on the front nose cone. The lights looks good in the dark but they are difficult to see during the day though sometimes you can see the red light on the nose. The LED's are located on the bottom of the arms but because the LED's aren't exceptionally bright that makes it harder to see them. Oddly the LED's flash slowly the entire flight which at first makes one think it's an LVC warning which confused me when I made my video review. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of this feature.

Name: 0712161850.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 507.5 KB
Description:

Name: 0712161850a.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 366.3 KB
Description:

Flight Overview:
The JJRC H31 is a smooth flyer. Very easy to fly in beginner mode but best in Intermediate if you are an experienced pilot. The yaw rate increases with each mode and is very fast in Expert mode. In fact, it's so fast in Expert mode that it becomes difficult to fly for even the best pilots because it's so easy to lose orientation. I highly recommend flying in Intermediate mode (75%) unless you wish to do funnels which is does very well even in Intermediate mode. It does 3D flips well and recovers nicely. The range though is not very good but perfectly fine flying in your yard. The flight time is roughly 6.5 mins with a 30 sec LVC warning. It's hard to confirm the exact LVC length due to difficulty seeing the LED's during the day. The LVC is a rapid flashing of the LED's. As mentioned earlier it can be easy to think you are running on low battery because the LED's flash slowly the entire flight so you have to look closely and when you see they are flashing rapidly then it's time to land. I'd advise a timer so you don't have to rely on the LED's and just bring it down after 6 mins. It's also a fairly fast quad but not too much so that it makes it difficult to fly. It has sufficient pitch to help fight some wind but as with any small lightweight drone it can't fight a lot of wind. The quad is very durable and can easily withstand hard crashes with damage.

PROS:
-smooth flyer, very stable and durable
-does 3D flips well
-sufficiently waterproof
-nice yaw rate that increases with modes
-nice sleek design
-props are easy to bend but work well to prevent breaking them
-prop guards work well
-One Key Return
-(comes with a pair of cool sunglasses)
-price ($28)

CONS:
-range is not very good.
-LED's are not easy to see in the daylight
-difficult to see LVC due to the dim LED's and their placement
-motors/props are noisy
-landing gear only snap on and come loose easily so they could fall off in a crash.
-yaw rate may be too fast for some in Expert Mode.
-Instructions are not well translated into English but this is not uncommon so no big deal there.

Overall Impressions:
This is a GREAT quad that I'd highly recommend to anyone from beginners to experts. It's a blast to fly, can handle being flown in water and is very agile and smooth flying!

GearBest PURCHASE LINK only $26.50 when you use coupon Code JRJ31 at checkout. Code good through 8/31/16.
Last edited by rinoki71; Jul 13, 2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: fix broken image links
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2016, 10:22 AM
Flyin' Ryan
Nice review!
Jul 13, 2016, 10:13 PM
RD's Drone Reviews
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman
Nice review!
WOW! That means a lot coming from THE RC GOD!!

Quick Reply