Aug 31, 2004, 08:35 AM
Thread OP

Where is the GWS Flying Wizard/Witch?

It is now only two months until Halloween and still no Merlin/ Flying Wizard on the market. Last year I flew the "Great Pumpkin" by painting a GWS Lady Bug to look like a great flying pumpkin as made famous by Linus in the Peanut's comic strip. This year I have been hoping to fly an electric witch on a broomstick by painting a GWS 300 powered "Merlin" or what ever name is given to the flying wizard on a broom. I had hoped to have this "flying device" to fly for all of October but it is looking more and more doubtful that it will be available for this year as the "Name that Warlock battle" has delayed the release of this plane.
Can anyone from GWS give an update on this flying novelty? Moderator Mike
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2004, 11:47 AM
OV-102 Columbia
give it up, just make your own!

I can't believe its not out yet as simple as it is, and considering how long ago it was introduced...
Aug 31, 2004, 02:16 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
Mike - Just snag a slow stick fuse, grab some depron or FFF and cut it out. Should be simple enough

Make sure to post pics if you do it though!

Cam
Sep 01, 2004, 12:45 AM
Closed Account
The Flying Wizard was delayed by religious groups who claimed it represented Pagan idolatry and witchcraft. It was protested by the same organizations that took offense to the Proctor and Gamble logo, and the recent Harry Potter books and movies. Also several far left and hippie liberal groups complained about it, saying seeing one fly past you could cause acid-trip flashbacks from their Gratefull Deadhead days. Mr. Lin is actually a practicing warlock devil-worshiper and has been recently seen hanging around with Ozzy Osbourne and former Led Zeppelin band members. It's a little know fact that the company name "GWS" is an acronym nickname given to Mr. Lin by Jimmy Page, and actually stands for "Great White Satan" !. Rumour has it that if you spin an A-10's EDF fan backwards you can hear the lyrics to Stairway To Heaven.
Sep 01, 2004, 03:20 AM
"Merlin" --- copyright of this product name is one of the issue.

Need to change the style and the name also. --to Mr. Lin Magician

I did remind RD about Halloween season too.

I also want another model for Santa. for Xmas!!!-- need to light it up and fly it during the Xmas night.

Or may be we should make a MYO kit -- make your own.
with all the parts you will need and make your own....whatever you like to
Sep 01, 2004, 05:13 AM
Some good ideas Ray - after all, Mr Lin is quite a 'WIZARD' in his own right

Like the idea of some MYO kit, but I thought that was what a 'kit' was - not an ARF.

Maybe offer a kit with a few alternative printed fuselage panels - builders choice of which to use, or make interchangeable - like 'Halloween' this week, Xmas next etc.

BTW Are you just visiting USA or staying on staff? altur
Sep 01, 2004, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
I don't know Ray, Santa on a broomstick just doesn't do anything for me. Now if you need some Beta testing with the changed style let me know. I was hoping to fly a witch at my club's Fun Fly on October 24. Possibly have a friend fly it while I video tape it at the start of the Slow Stick combat event. A non-copyrighted generic witch is what seems to me to be most appropriate on a broom, but Mr. Lin would be cool also.
Sep 01, 2004, 08:03 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY GWS
"Merlin" --- copyright of this product name is one of the issue.

Need to change the style and the name also. --to Mr. Lin Magician

I did remind RD about Halloween season too.

I also want another model for Santa. for Xmas!!!-- need to light it up and fly it during the Xmas night.

Or may be we should make a MYO kit -- make your own. with all the parts you will need and make your own....whatever you like to
LOL, come on the name has been a problem going back MANY MANY months, how many corporate meetings does GWS have to hold to decide on a name for a flat foamie!? or is everyone so busy with all the other planes in R&D that they still haven't even called the "merlin" meeting yet? You already have silly names like "gold angel, easybug, flying pizza" so whats wrong with some lame name like "Flying Wizard or Flying Witch"

The good news for GWS is that R&D now has 12 more months to get it to market... I won't be holding my breath for next years Halloween.

R&D blew it as far as selling any of these things in the USA, this is going to end up being a seasonal product and about 90% of them will be sold in September and early October, they will be briefly flown and beat up on for 1-2 months showing off for the kids and childish adults, Halloween (Oct. 31) will come and go and they will all have there radio gear ripped out and get tossed onto garage shelves to rot and grow dusty.

So forget the damned name Merlin, Mr'Lin or whatever, make it look like a witch, not some goofy wizard, and get it on shelves before September. Harry Potter is old, old news already, and the kids that read that crap aren't the kind of kids you meet flying R/C planes anyway. The only way you would ever cash in on Harry Potter with this thing is if you LICENSED Harry Potter rights and we all know GWS isnt going to waste money licensing rights to use a name.

As for making it the "Mr.Lin Magician" that will sell even worse then GWS's worst selling plane (take your pick, funny park, gold angel?) 99% of people have no idea who Mr. Lin is, why he's a magician, and what the hell is with him flying around on a broom!? whos ever seen / heard of a broom flying magician? A wizard on a broom was bad enough and didn't make a lot of sense, a magician on a broom makes no sense. Only Witches and Mother In Laws fly around on brooms.
Last edited by indybudd; Sep 01, 2004 at 08:12 AM.
Sep 01, 2004, 08:44 AM
WAA pilot #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indybudd
.... Only Witches and Mother In Laws fly around on brooms.
Theres the name for you. Plain as day.
Leave the face area blank and include some self-adhesive inkjet paper with instructions on printing your own personalized GWS Mother-In-Law!

That would quickly outsell the slowstick!
Sep 01, 2004, 08:59 AM
OV-102 Columbia
the new bestselling "GWS Mother of all Witches"
Sep 01, 2004, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
As one sometimes childish adult I say bring it on.
Oh and I want a flying doghouse with a generic beagle on the roof as well.
Sep 01, 2004, 11:16 PM
Closed Account
I will make a Yosemite Sam German WWI fighter plane armed with squirting guns filled with lacquer thinner and melt your flying doghouse out of the sky.
Sep 02, 2004, 06:53 AM
Thread OP
Dear Esso Bee; An interesting proposal! I suggest you have your squirt guns positioned to fire backwards so you have some chance of getting a real spray that might hit something other then your own plane. I hope you at least make your plane a red triplane for traditions sake. Have your second get in touch with my second.
Last edited by Michael Heer; Sep 02, 2004 at 08:36 PM.
Sep 02, 2004, 09:13 AM
Houng-wen Lin
I will let this kit catch the time!

Sorry to keep you guys wait so long.
Sep 08, 2004, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
Dear Cam:
If I were going to go to the trouble to make one on my own I think it would be more like this one in an electric version. Mike

Quick Reply