FAA Special Rule for Model Aircraft Extension

Yesterday the AMA emailed a letter to members stating that the House and Senate agreed on language for a short term funding extension...

Splash

Another Year of Status Quo

Yesterday the AMA emailed a letter to members stating that the House and Senate have agreed on language for a short term funding extension. It may not sound like much, but the extension allows the current Special Rule for Model Aircraft to remain in effect for at least another year. The House and Senate should vote on the extension this week and once the president signs it into law, then the Special Rule will be preserved until September 2017. If you are not familiar with the rule, it allows us to fly freely with a community based safety program and protects us from further government regulations. Yes this is only a short time period, but it allows more time to work with Congress on a new bill to protect our hobby long term.

FAA Reauthorization (1 min 42 sec)

Jul 12, 2016, 10:07 AM
A man with too many toys
Does anyone know if any of the two presidential candidates has an opinion on this subject?

Jul 12, 2016, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
presidential candidates .
gotta be kidding [will sign the new law tho']
Jul 12, 2016, 10:42 AM
Because it was getting impossible to get any useful info on the subject from any of the RC forums I just quit even trying to read through all the uninformed and completely worthless B.S. that everybody and their brother was posting on the subject. This is the first time that I've looked in this FAA forum in about two months.

So what does THIS special rule mean in a nutshell? Are we back to normal for NON multirotor or do we still have the "drone" gun to our heads? Is there a CLEAR and non convoluted 1 page explanation of where we are now for the fixed wing/heli part of the hobby? Not an 83 page FAA list of rules that takes a lawyer to interpret.

Joe
Jul 12, 2016, 10:50 AM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
So what does THIS special rule mean in a nutshell?
It means that nothing has changed and the status quo has been maintained. Section 336 of P.L. 112-95 signed into law in February 2012 remains in effect. The Congress kicked the FAA Reauthorization Bill down the road until September 2017. As a result the current Section 336 stays in effect. In addition, on August 29th, 2016 Part 101.41 in the FARs takes effect. That codifies Section 336 into the Federal Aviation Regulations.

So now the AMA has until September 2017 to lobby Congress, and especially the Senate, to get as many of the onerous provisions removed from what will be the final FAA Reauthorization Bill. That one will be in effect for another 4 years past the day it is signed into law.

Here is Section 336. Sorry, it is longer than 1 page.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/HR658_020112.pdf

Oh, and yes, we are still required by Part 48 to register to fly hobby sUAS.
Jul 12, 2016, 11:38 AM
So this really is good news then. We are effectively no longer lumped in with the multirotors and the specific restrictions that need to be placed on them? No longer the shotgun approach that the FAA tried to impose on the entire hobby? Maybe I'll actually go ahead and register with the FAA now.

Youtube is blocked here at work so I couldn't watch the video. I'm guessing it covered this.

Joe
Jul 12, 2016, 11:48 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
There is no difference between a model airplane and a quad copter in the rules or laws.
Jul 12, 2016, 11:57 AM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
There is no difference between a model airplane and a quad copter in the rules or laws.
Exactly right and I should have made that more clear in my response. The big question now is if the AMA's interpretation that one must be a member in order to be operating "within the programming" is valid. I happen to think it is, but many do not.

Thus there are many people operating gyroscopically stabilized, GPS navigated multirotors while pretending to be operating under the AMA Safety Code and yet are not members of the AMA and in fact have nothing but disdain for the AMA.

This is from the document I linked above:

Quote:
In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean a membership based association that represents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground; develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions, government entities and other aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members.
Jul 12, 2016, 12:06 PM
This just means that there will be NO licensing requirement. So, fly the multi-rotors as usual. Just stay away from forest fires and you're set. No biggie.
Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; Jul 12, 2016 at 12:46 PM.
Jul 12, 2016, 01:36 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R

Thus there are many people operating gyroscopically stabilized, GPS navigated multirotors while pretending to be operating under the AMA Safety Code and yet are not members of the AMA and in fact have nothing but disdain for the AMA.

:
Not this Multirotor owner...FAA Registered , an AMA member, and a Licensed Amateur Radio Operator ....who Clearly operates under the Safety Guidelines...

I have both Gyro and GPS Multicopters ,and NON- Gyro and NON - GPS Multicopters....

They are many, many like me in this hobby.

I have noticed there are many non - Mulicopter flyers who have disdain for the AMA also.

I will keep supporting the AMA and this hobby.
Jul 12, 2016, 03:15 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinly
Not this Multirotor owner...
Which is why I said "many" and not "most" or "all".
Jul 12, 2016, 03:24 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Thanks...We appreciate it..We hate being "rolled" into that group of "Irresponsible Idiots."

Jul 12, 2016, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
We are effectively no longer lumped in with the multirotors and the specific restrictions that need to be placed on them? No longer the shotgun approach that the FAA tried to impose on the entire hobby? Maybe I'll actually go ahead and register with the FAA now.
You still have to register with the FAA if you fly anything over 8.8 ounces - even stick and tissue rubber-powered free flight! I'd call that still being lumped in with "drones". And you have to afix your AMA number and personal info to the aircraft in a prescribed manner.

And, you still have to notify the tower if you are flying anything within 5 miles of an airport. Implied in that is they could deny you permission to fly, and you have no recourse - the airport authority's word is law.

Here is an excellent interactive map of US airports. Click the checkbox "Recreational - 5 Mile Radius" on the right, to overlay the circles around airports.

https://app.airmap.io/

-
Jul 12, 2016, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Is there any documented proof of the "many" rebels?
Jul 12, 2016, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malitape
Is there any documented proof of the "many" rebels?
How could there be? But why? Do you doubt they're out there?
Last edited by brians356; Jul 12, 2016 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply