Jul 11, 2016, 08:02 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
Thread OP
Build Log

Dubai 210mm Racing Quadcopter! Check it out!

Hey everyone! I usually stick around in helis section since that's what I fly the most, but I got a "drone" now I know some folks get a little excited when they hear the "d-word", so we'll switch to multirotor(bee hive) from now on. Anyways, I do a build log whenever I build a heli, which is not often by the way, so I decided to do a write up on how everything goes together on this one as well. So, let's just start..

I won't be typing out all the specs, because it's just going to clutter up the build log Here's the link where you can read everything in detail if you're interested...it's on "gearbest.com" website.

http://bit.ly/Dubai210

but to be honest, by the time you see all the pix, you'll be quite familiar with everything that's included

Package came pretty neatly packed in an envelope, but I'm a little surprised it wasnt in a box. Not sure if it would survive a crunch in this configuration, but one might argue that a box wouldn't save it either...

Attachment 9165240

here's the contents:

Attachment 9165241

4 emax motors, you can see the specs on the package and you get quite an assortment of bolts. BTW, you'll have so much left-overs, you can build a separate kit with all the extras

Attachment 9165242

wires are all prepped and ready to solder, aah, if only i could solder it the way it is. Unfortunately, its a pretty small bird, so you'll have to cut them off, like all the way because you don't have much "real estate" on the frame...and then you'll just solder them to the esc directly. That's all ahead...

Attachment 9165243

Here's the power hub, and look!! we have a manual, which is excellent by the way! Everything in color and you also have a neat looking diagram where everything should go! Very helpful!!

Attachment 9165244

Now let's go to the ESC. These come in a bag with a paper manual on how to program them. Also, as you can see, no red wire on the plug, because it's an OPTO esc. No BEC, that's why you have a power hub which will provide the power for electronics. The ESC doesn't come with a heatsink, so we'll assume sitting 1 inch from the prop spinning 20,000 rpm will provide enough breeze to keep her cool.

Attachment 9165245

Now let's go to the heart of the operation...the flight controller! What we have here is a cleanflight sp3 deluxe(clone?). You get a set of straight pins and a set of L-shaped pins. You're free to choose which one you like and you can solder them yourself, which is a pain in the butt, by the way, but it's only done this way to make most of us happy, and the rest of us cranky

Attachment 9165246

Attachment 9165248

you also get an assortment of plugs and wires for the controller. Wires are very skinny and quite stiff by the way. Not sure if it's a good idea to have them that stiff in this application. I prefer soft ones.

Attachment 9165249

and now the frame! Not much of a frame really. you get the main piece, top plate and 3 pieces for the camera. In a bag, you get a bunch of bolts and crossbars to mount the top plate. No manual! at least a simple diagram for the folks who can get a little lost in 4 carbon plates. Took me a while to figure it out. Must be old age

Attachment 9165251

I also included the thickness measurements of the carbon pieces. With a marvelous tool which is older than some folks around here..
main piece 3mm
top plate 1.5mm
camera plates 1mm

Attachment 9165252

Attachment 9165253

Attachment 9165254

this is a little strange to me the way front camera plate mounts. It's slanted, but the cut for it in the main frame is straight(would probably be a little cooler to have slanted cut in the main frame too).. i'd probably guess it's to cut costs. It all feels very flimsy when you're assembling it together, but does stiffen up when everything is in place.

Attachment 9165255

You can also see the multiple laminated layers when viewing frame from the edge. BTW, at 3mm, i expected it to be a lot stiffer when trying to bend. My RJX helicopter frame feels just as stiff being 2mm.

Attachment 9165256

Attachment 9165257

Here's the assembled frame, 3 pix...btw, frame edges are sharp. if you have wire rubbing against it, it'll make contact sooner or later. Vibrations might help accelerate process

Attachment 9165258

Attachment 9165259

Attachment 9165260

Alright, mounting the motors. Remember I told you we have plenty of bolts? Well, you want to choose the shortest ones for this operation to make sure you won't butt into the internal wires. It's a fairly simple thing, but it may be very easily overlooked and you may end up with a broken motor... keep an eye on it before installing

Attachment 9165261

ok, motor in and props in place just to see clearance and boi is it close

Attachment 9165262

one thing that isn't very attractive is the "landing gear" bolt, if one can call it a landing gear it's just a crossbar that gets bolted on the frame leg. Not very fancy, but I guess it'll do a trick Anyways, see where the bolt cap is? It protrudes right into the motor wires. I don't think it's the best solution why not do countersink, it would have made such a cleaner look.

Attachment 9165263

anyways, moving on. Remember the wires I showed you previously? Well, off they go! You don't have much room and as painful as it is to cut perfectly good wires, it has to be done to make room for ESC. You just solder motor wires to the ESC directly. No room for plugs and to be honest, this is fine because, unlike on a helicopter, where you have a big rotor a foot from your head to worry about, this little baby can't kill you if it decides to leap off the table during bench work i wouldn't make a habit of it though. tie her down somehow if you decide to work on a powered multirotor, or remove the props.

Attachment 9165264

all four ESC's soldered and power hub also soldered. Pretty neat, huh? man, i hate working on these tiny machines.

Attachment 9165278

On the other hand, working with a 700class helicopter, you have to worry about running miles of wiring to reach your receiver or flight controller

Attachment 9165280

to be continued stay tuned!
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Nov 27, 2017 at 09:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2016, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Video

Dubai 210 performance (2 min 6 sec)
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Jul 30, 2016 at 08:23 PM.
Jul 11, 2016, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
another one just in case
Jul 11, 2016, 08:31 PM
Well done!
Jul 12, 2016, 06:51 AM
Jul 12, 2016, 07:49 PM
Thread OP
Wow , looks like I don't have much flyers checking in..

Anyways, wasn't working on the multi rotor today because got injury.(only yesterday soldered a set of wires for flight pack and 5v) Had a piece of tile on the floor. Didn't see it and leaned on it with my palm, the little piece went straight in hurts pretty bad, can't squeeze my left palm at the moment.

Figured I'd bump the thread a little with a couple pix.

Did a little comparison shot. 700heli vs Dubai this thing is quite small and I bet I'll be chased by crows and birds everytime I get airborne, but good news is she's got 20amps on each "wing". I have also a 450 heli and just to put things into perspective here, 450 heli is roughly twice as heavy and half as powerful only carrying 40 amp esc. This little kid has 80 amps of power I wonder what it will do in the air..

Second photo is the receiver that I have handy at the moment. I was going to do s.bus., but I don't have one available and I don't want to snatch it off the big one. Either way, there isn't much room for it unless you go for the frsky micro receivers. I think they're the only ones that can fit comfortably. I have futaba, so I'm a little stuck with closet sized RX's
Jul 14, 2016, 11:12 PM
Thread OP
Ok, little update. I've been playing around with clean flight software a little and "dirty rigged" the receiver connection to make sure everything works. One thing I'd like to point out is if you're using pwm receiver, the one with single wire for each signal, it won't look pretty unless you're pretty good.

The channels, half of them you get from left side "IO-1", and the other half you get from right side, "IO-2". Both if the sticking from the sides, put them in close vicinity of the props unless very well tidied up. We'll see what we can come up with.

Another thing I noticed, it seems we're getting quite a vibration from the motors running without props. Coming from helis, vibe is not a good thing, but hopefully it's not enough to upset the FC. To get an idea, the quad copter is sliding slowly on the table when motors run. We still haven't tried putting props on yet. There are pro's and cons to using carbon for a frame vs plastic. Carbon is lighter and stronger, but it is also stiffer, which transfers vibes better. It might very well be a non issue when everything is airborne and tuned..

Stay tuned.
Jul 15, 2016, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
Another update. I tried to put props on and see what happens, so I tied up all the wires because props are big and frame is small. every place is dangerous!! if you have a wire sticking out somewhere and prop sucks it in, SNIP!! no wire..

Powered her up and I had a weird wind circulation turns out I have all props turning right..DUH!! No wonder I felt wind on top of quad!

Into the ESC calibration we go! Took a few dozen brain cells to figure out that you control it in the software with a slider instead of TX stick, like the usual heli/airplane stuff..anyways, one thing that was very awkward was to count the beeps!! I mean it's all very straightforward until you get to like 9+ beeps! my brain cells were freezing up trying to count that quickly. It goes fast and you lose track of the beeps. Some options go up to 13 fast moving beeps! I like how castle/hobbywing and similar controllers instead of beeping 59 times, they substitute it with a long beeps followed by a short one and so on, when you get to like option 4 or 5. Easier to keep track.

Anyways, if they tweaked this feature on these ocdayESC, it would be awesome!

That's about all I could get done today. Life priorities but on the bright side, I can start tidying up the wires!! Because everything seems to power up correctly and seems to work. Holding the quad in the hand...carefully, tilting it on sides, you can definitely feel the torque produced by these motors. Can't wait to get her completed and in the air.

I'll get more pix here soon when make more progress. For now, it's all software figuring out and tweaking controls, moving knobs and stuff, so there isn't much photos you can do at this stage.

G'night
Jul 16, 2016, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
ok everyone. I spent the evening doing some finishing touches to the quad, like sanding down sharp edges wherever wires come in contact with the edge of the frame.

Also, took the time to threadlock every bolt because motors typically create these high frequency vibes that are notorious in loosening the bolts. You usually want to use blue threadlocker, stuff that's easily available online, auto parts store or local walmart take your pick. It also adds a peace of mind knowing that bolts are not only tight, but also secured from unscrewing.

As you can see, I was able to make the PWM receiver work It wasn't too bad actually, but I had to mount it on the bottom due to its size Routing wires isn't too hard even though they stick from the sides of FC. The openings in the frame are quite accomodating! You can easily send a plug through. I also ziptied unused conncetions to the frame, which may become used a little later. Right now it's only a LOS flight platform because I don't have video equipment available to mount.

NOTE: if used for racing, like through the woods and stuff, you'll obviously want to mount the receiver inside and wires more secured. If mounted inside, you can remove the plastic covering to "make it smaller"

Included in the photo are also top frame dimensions for the battery mounting. I don't have one that small, so I decided to experiment with a bigger one 4000mah 3 cell. Wondered if it has the ability to lift a pack roughly 3 times the size. Well, it did and it was even hovering below mid-throttle. Quite responsive too(in the living room). I almost went to england when I gave some forward stick Anyways, take it with a grain of salt because you can't expect it to race around with that hige pack obviously. This was only for testing purposes. I'll be ordering something in the range of 1300-1500mah for this one.

When the battery comes, I'll do a "normal" flight performance review.
Stay tuned
Jul 16, 2016, 11:46 PM
good luck, looks good so far! ive got the kit next to me but no time till after vacation. now i can build vicariously through this thread for the next week
Jul 17, 2016, 07:35 AM
Thread OP
Thank you, sir.
Jul 22, 2016, 11:48 PM
want to fly the big one please
Nice job FP! looks good
looks very light
Jul 23, 2016, 01:59 AM
Thread OP
Thank you sir.
Battery coming soon..
Jul 25, 2016, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Got my battery today and even did a test hover in the evening on my backyard. It's a 1500mah 3s 40c battery. I'm going to try to get some flight time after work if I can.

First impressions from hovering with the normal size battery, quad seems to hover quieter and takes about 40% throttle to be in stable hover.

It was calm this evening and auto level holds the quad quite well. It does drift a little eventually because it doesn't have GPS hold, but you can easily take the hand off the stick and it will hang in one spot pretty good. Barometer is a little wonky. It keeps slowly oscillating up and down, so I will have to look into the gains on that a little. Heading(magnetometer) hold is a little drifty and I noticed that when powering up the flight pack, compass starts to drift. Probably because motors are just too close or because I'm sitting right on top(almost) of the power hub. It's definitely not the vibrations because without power and only USB, compass is steady.

I also tried putting a Möbius camera just to see if there's any jello and to my surprise, it was very steady, so that means vibrations are pretty low despite my initial feeling.

So far it just seems like a smooth flying quad. I did try some flips and loops on the weekend with bigger battery and she can be quit fast Even with additional weight, but also you can make a very graceful looking loop if you catch some speed. She behaves quite sporty...

I'm going to report back when I get some flight time with the right battery now that it came in.

Also, couple quick shots with a phone of the battery.
Jul 25, 2016, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher
Got my battery today and even did a test hover in the evening on my backyard. It's a 1500mah 3s 40c battery. I'm going to try to get some flight time after work if I can.

First impressions from hovering with the normal size battery, quad seems to hover quieter and takes about 40% throttle to be in stable hover.

It was calm this evening and auto level holds the quad quite well. It does drift a little eventually because it doesn't have GPS hold, but you can easily take the hand off the stick and it will hang in one spot pretty good. Barometer is a little wonky. It keeps slowly oscillating up and down, so I will have to look into the gains on that a little. Heading(magnetometer) hold is a little drifty and I noticed that when powering up the flight pack, compass starts to drift. Probably because motors are just too close or because I'm sitting right on top(almost) of the power hub. It's definitely not the vibrations because without power and only USB, compass is steady.

I also tried putting a Möbius camera just to see if there's any jello and to my surprise, it was very steady, so that means vibrations are pretty low despite my initial feeling.

So far it just seems like a smooth flying quad. I did try some flips and loops on the weekend with bigger battery and she can be quit fast Even with additional weight, but also you can make a very graceful looking loop if you catch some speed. She behaves quite sporty...

I'm going to report back when I get some flight time with the right battery now that it came in.

Also, couple quick shots with a phone of the battery.
Good build, nice choice on the Emax Redbottoms. You mentioned the sharp edges on the chassis plates. Before I do a build, I always round all edges starting with 100 grit, working all the way down to 600 wet. I then finish with a coat of crazy glue.

Quick Reply