Jul 11, 2016, 01:37 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
New Product

New WLtoys WL915 V2 RTR Brushless 3s Boat

Let's take a look at the new version 2 WLtoys WL915 brushless RTR RC boat. This little boat is self righting, water cooled, and fast. The RTR package includes boat, radio, 1200mah 3s lipo, and balance charger. All for only $56.27 Just add 4 AA batteries to the radio and you're ready to hit the water. Red version also available.

This new 2nd version has a new improved ESC, and a 3 blade prop.

First run

WlToys WL915 3s Powered RTR Brushless RC Boat First Run (2 min 0 sec)

Here's the latest video with the new motor. As you can see the boat is out of control. Either I need to add a little more weight? Maybe run the battery up front? Any other ideas? Going back to stock is out of the question now lol. This thing makes me grin even though I can't hardly keep it on the water.

Modified WLToys WL915 Brushless Self Righting 3s Lipo RC Boat (1 min 23 sec)
Last edited by fastmax; Jun 11, 2018 at 05:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2016, 02:28 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Running video added above.
Jul 11, 2016, 07:10 PM
Nice! It's screaming for a larger balanced prop, should really wake it up.
Jul 11, 2016, 07:23 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into something better for it. I'll thoroughly enjoy a little more speed out of it
Jul 11, 2016, 08:33 PM
Just Plane Nutts
That looks like the same 2212 outrunner that comes in the 17" Barbwire and a few other boats. It should handle a 30mm 1.4p 2-blade nicely, and maybe even a 32mm. Will the HULL like that size prop?...only testing can tell.

Any idea of the stock prop diameter and pitch?
Jul 11, 2016, 09:44 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I'll get the calipers out asap and get a measurement on the prop. It looks larger than the 30 and 32mm props I have here for my Power Vee, but it could just be because it's a 3 blade prop.
Jul 11, 2016, 10:05 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Then a 32mm may be too small. Hmmm. Some experimentation with a variety of props may be in order. That boat's motor certainly does resembles the 2850KV Atomik motor, but they may just be similar:

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...wire-rc-boat-1
Jul 12, 2016, 05:24 PM
I hope they improved the situation versus the model I reviewed ....
Jul 12, 2016, 07:43 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
I hope they improved the situation versus the model I reviewed ....
Have a review link for the new WL915 owner? The more information, the better.
Jul 12, 2016, 08:33 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
SeByDocKy's thread is here I've read through it. New version uses different ESC/RX and a different prop. Not sure if anything else has changed, but so far I haven't experienced any of the issues that he had.
Jul 12, 2016, 10:17 PM
Just Plane Nutts
That's good to hear. Please keep us informed.
Jul 19, 2016, 08:26 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Well after my last run my servo was only turning to the right. It would go full throw and seemed perfectly fine, it just refused to go left. I plugged in another servo I had sitting on my bench, and it did the exact same thing. So, I thought ok, maybe there is something wrong with the RX/ESC. I gave the boat a quick clean and dry and put it on the bench where it sat with the top cover off overnight. This morning I plug in a fresh battery and everything is back to normal. I believe that some moisture got into the RX/ESC and was causing the issue.

Needless to say, I pulled it and will be giving it a better waterproofing in hopes of avoiding the issue next time out.

I also put the calipers on the prop, and it is 30mm. Perhaps a 32mm will be a decent upgrade after all. I really wish I knew the Kv rating of the motor. I'd like to squeeze a little more speed out of the boat. Maybe I will order an Atomik Barbwire motor, and see if there is a boost in performance. If not, well then I guess it won't hurt to have a spare motor. Anyway I'm still having fun with this thing, and now it's making me want to tinker and see what I can do to pep it up a little without going to far overboard.
Jul 22, 2016, 09:44 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I ended up ordering a Barbwire motor. It is out for delivery today, so as soon as the mail shows up I will install it and see if it performs better or worse than the stock motor. I'm hoping that it is a slightly higher Kv motor than the stocker. I also have an OSE 32mm prop I'm going to try and see what if any difference it makes. Update coming later today.
Jul 22, 2016, 11:49 AM
Just Plane Nutts
I think you are going to end up with the same motor you started with. The stock Barbwire motor is rated at 2850KV.

A 450-size heli motor is probably what you want. That's what I swapped my stock Barbwire motor for. Some motor-mount modification is required to make it fit though, due to that odd mount the Barb and your boat came with.

This thread will show you how to do it (see post #4). This mod also works on the Joysway Mono X: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tomik+barbwire

Once you do that, pop one of these in there and go flying: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEOPARD-Mode...3D391421021976

(They also make a 3500KV version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEOPARD-Mode...oAAOSwQjNW~SQL )

Just be aware that tunnel hulls are touchy beasts when it comes to adding power. The 3200kv may be more suitable for your project.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jul 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Jul 22, 2016, 02:14 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Just got back in from a quick run, and either the Barbwire motor is a faster motor, or my stock motor wasn't performing at its maximum potential, because the boat is a completely different animal with the Barbwire motor. I didn't get a GPS read on it, but I'd be willing to say it's probably a good 5-7 mph faster, and now it wants to skip all over the place. The lake is choppy today, so before I can even get to full throttle the hull wants to leave the water. I didn't try the other prop yet, but right now, at least in choppy water the boat feels like it is running on the ragged edge.

Thanks for those links. I will definitely look into those mods and perhaps try them in the near future. I'm really anxious to see how she runs right now on smooth water. I live right on the lake, and usually in the evenings it is like glass out there so maybe this evening I'll get a chance to try it out again and hopefully it will be more stable.

Quick Reply