Banana Hobbies V-22 Osprey (not Arttech) - RC Groups
Jul 11, 2016, 12:02 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
Discussion

Banana Hobbies V-22 Osprey (not Arttech)

Banana Hobbies is teasing us with shots of a prototype V-22 Osprey. Four photos have been posted on their Facebook site. Let's use this thread for rumor control (or propagation!)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2016, 01:53 AM
Nice. Looks like the Xane X-22.
Jul 12, 2016, 06:14 AM
cool!
Sep 21, 2016, 04:34 PM
That's the Xane X-22 (v-22).

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2670381
Mar 26, 2017, 11:33 PM
Flight video..looks promising..

VTOL V-22 Osprey RC Model at Banana Hobby! (9 min 43 sec)
Mar 31, 2017, 08:05 PM
I've been waiting for this. just wondering if i can change the flight controller to naza for more stable.
Apr 25, 2017, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier
Flight video..looks promising..

https://youtu.be/Hly5w457cD0
Mine just arrived from China, looking forward to trying it out.
Apr 26, 2017, 08:29 AM
be interesting to see what it does in the hands of a customer ,, keep us posted and by all means a video of it please
Apr 27, 2017, 09:46 AM
Yes please keep us posted Yak52Driver. Did you buy the Xane X22 or the Banana hobbies.
Apr 28, 2017, 09:59 AM
Hello V22chap

As I said yesterday, I am interested in getting a Banana Hobbies V22 Osprey.
Have you had any reports on how they fly apart from the YuoTube clip.
Are they the exact same as the Xane 22
Do you think this is too early to order one as they might be Beta models and might improve with time.
Apr 28, 2017, 10:40 AM
Sorry I don't have any info on xane vs banana hobbies ... I would assume from looking at the vids and pictures it is the same ... just banana is a distributor . As with all new things .. the first release is going to have a few problems but as with the v-hawk and graupner 4 rotor vtols ... the first might be the last ,,, for some reason they didn't have a long run ,,but the vtol market is a small one and once everyone that wanted one has it .. it is over .
I tried to get one of the very first ones from Kong and even put money down ... months later he refunded my money ... so they must of had some problems and waited 6 months or so to finally bring it out , so the bugs might all be gone ..
I don't really like it because of the fan in the rear ,,but wanted to see how it did as it does look pretty neat .
If I didn't already have 2 of rotormast birds and just retired (short money now ) I probably would go ahead and get one just to see .
Apr 28, 2017, 12:34 PM
I've been following along on this thread for a while getting info about the model before I ordered it. Finally got around to creating an account on RCGroups so I could post!

I just received my V22 shipment yesterday from Banana Hobby. I assembled last night, and did some bench testing. I plan to do some hover tests tonight after work, but so far here are my notes on the build.
  • Item shipped in the same plain white box that I saw in earlier pictures of the Xane model
  • The model still has a Xane sticker on it just like the aforementioned model, but the canopy windows are painted white instead of black
  • There was an updated paper manual that had been created by Banana Hobby. The wording/translation had been substantially improved, but most of the guide was the same.
  • It did not include the foam glue, so I ran out and bought a new tube of Gorilla Glue White to attach the tail
  • I was able to attach the wing to the fuselage without issue, my screws were all the correct size
  • The back of one of my Nacelles needed to be glued back together, it seemed the factory glue did not hold or it separated during shipment
  • One of the upgrades over the original model is the addition of a carbon fiber disk that screws on top of the props to strengthen that assembly, it's mentioned but not pictured in the manual. It just goes on top of the props before you put the screws in.
  • My EDF was wired up in reverse, and providing down thrust. I was able to unplug from the harness and fish the ESC out the back of the plane (small slot beside EDF). The bullet connectors were wired red to black, so I reversed and it was fixed. I threaded the ESC back into the body and reattached the harness to the FC
  • It includes a full second set of props

I'll post some feedback after the maiden hover tonight. I won't be doing any transitions tonight, as I don't have a field to fly near the house. I may try to get out to the field this weekend.
Apr 28, 2017, 12:55 PM
Banana Hobby Service Agent
rgeade,

Great feedback so far. Just to confirm on a few points, we did edit the entire manual and added information that we found to be useful. This includes pointers and tips based off Pete's flight testing experience.

We also requested for the factory to strengthen the internal wing spar to make the entire wing section sturdier. Also, the flight control board had some firmware revisions to add stability to the transition process and forward flight mode.

Also, I apologize for the minor issues you encountered. I was a bit concerned about the nacelle, but be advised that the bottom section has a pressure fitted cover that's not supposed to be glued in place. This allows access to the ESC.

-Alex
Apr 28, 2017, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Alex. The manual was definitely more insightful than the copy I saw online in the other thread :-)

Good to know about the wing spar and FC updates, hopefully they contribute to a smooth maiden tonight!

For the nacelle glue; agreed. The ESC access door remained unglued and removable; it was the connection between the two halves of the nacelle at the rear of the nacelle. The front half of the nacelle around the the motor was secure. I don't think it would have caused any impact if I had not glued it together, but it was easily done while attaching the tail.
Apr 29, 2017, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball1
Yes please keep us posted Yak52Driver. Did you buy the Xane X22 or the Banana hobbies.
I bought the Xane, hope to assemble it this weekend