Feb 17, 2019, 10:26 AM
Thread OP

Mongo !

yes, mid October there will be an event, its still early in the year so the date might be changed. It would be nice to see you again.

Julian - it will fly, i just finalized the balance point based on Stumaxs' little 104. I think its ready. I just need a good day with a stable headwind and relatively milder temp.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2019, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Aborted take maiden take off. Runs off into the desert. (0 min 23 sec)

It got off the ground but quickly came back down. I will try a 120 fan with cheater holes next time on either 12 or 14s. It broke the 2 linkages on the mains and bent the nose gear when it ran off into the soft dirt. Hopefully it will fly next time. Its far from a bunch of foam pieces .
Jul 24, 2019, 04:06 PM
Wow. With 7 kW and those large intakes I'd think it would have more than enough thrust. Glad the damage was minimal. Hope to see it fly soon.
Jul 24, 2019, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Wow. With 7 kW and those large intakes I'd think it would have more than enough thrust. Glad the damage was minimal. Hope to see it fly soon.
Not quite that much power

Plus factor the heavy weight and density altitude with tiny wings and you can see that its quite surprising it got off the ground at all
Jul 24, 2019, 10:39 PM
"EMS" Earn Money Sleeping....
Jul 26, 2019, 02:11 AM
Vertical Unlimited
You tried. Every time we try something that doesn't work, we learn how to do it better. How's will you fit a 120mm EDF. Won't that need new ducting?
Jul 26, 2019, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Thanks , you are absolutely right. like wayne and others have been doing, im gonna do the same,. The 120 fan doesnt fit the duct but does fit perfect within the tail section, so im probably allow the jet to pull air from the inside of the body with a big intake lip. I already mounted it and the fit is perfect i should have done it like this from the beginning.
Jul 29, 2019, 11:36 AM
What does it weigh?
Jul 29, 2019, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
with a 12s 5000mah system it should be 26lbs at 5500 watt
Jul 29, 2019, 06:54 PM
Zenoaheli

Have fallowed your build and all the problems you have run.

Congratulations for being persistent and finishing it even with out the wanted results.

There are a lot of succefull aerotetris stories so donīt give up.
Build a new plane and use the equipment you already have.

For sure learned what to do and not to do for next plane.

cheers

Juan
Jul 30, 2019, 12:34 PM
Classic jets rule
yep I feel the C/F you used was way over kill. 2 oz. to 3.6 oz fiberglass cloth would have been strong enough. you used what looks like 5.8 oz C/F . I thought you were going to try to fly in the winter ...I bet your Density Alt was really up there . it looked to quickly accelerate to a speed and did not pick up much more after the point of rolling passed the camera. the AOA needed to lift the weight quickly bled off your air speed and cause it to settle back to the runway ,(which is a really nice runway ) awesome that it did not tip stall and really cause damage . I feel you need to get a bunch of weight off of it so your at @ 200 to 250 watts per pound for spirited jet performance . I admire your not giving up and finishing the plane .
Jul 30, 2019, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoaheli
Not quite that much power

Plus factor the heavy weight and density altitude with tiny wings and you can see that its quite surprising it got off the ground at all
Sorry I confused it with the F-100 you posted about in the jetfan thread.
Jul 30, 2019, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
the 120 fan will have over 20 lbs of thrust , if it doesnt come off the ground then you can change my name , im using the 17 fiend fan from CZ and its tremendously efficient.

Sally,
I don't feel that the construction is heavy, when you compare it to others of the same displacement. When I went to Phoenix, i saw a lot of heavier jets that were of similar dimensions, and they flew just fine.
Last edited by Zenoaheli; Jul 30, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
Jul 30, 2019, 05:42 PM
Pro Hoarder
According to A.T . The 104 has 390 sqin of wing...it may fly but it wont slow down..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 30, 2019, 06:51 PM
Looking at the video, I think you need to re-check your CG...looks nose heavy to me. From the video it looks like you were holding a lot of elevator and when it finally rotated you naturally eased up on the elevator and the model quickly came back down.
Also increase the angle of attack on the ground.

Ohhh...and it is a bit heavy but nothing you can do about that now...don't give up until you've exhausted all options
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Jul 30, 2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply