Jun 28, 2017, 02:43 PM
Thread OP
thanks i appreciate it - the elevator needs a lot of attention
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2017, 02:42 AM
Thread OP

Body work

Im using a thin layer of epoxy to fill small holes. I used about 40g of epoxy and spread with a blade into the tiny imperfections.

I used the tip of an Allen 2mm to tap every square cm of the jet to reveal any weak skin. It was a lot of tapping but good. I patched the weak spots and holes I made with 95 gsm cf cloth. Sanded the whole jet down again.

Also some wavy sections which I had to patch with heavier gauge cloth. This adds more weight but u got to do it .

I'm thinking I'll paint her camo. I've never painted before other than the wings on my falcon orange.
Jul 04, 2017, 12:13 AM
Vertical Unlimited
How much have you spent on carbon cloth for this jet? Do you take special precautions when sanding CF? I ask because CF scares me a bit, both financially and with regard to safety.
Jul 04, 2017, 04:05 AM
Thread OP
i have used about 2 gallons of epoxy west system. I have really not kept track but its a couple hundred bucks.
yes i take precautions with CF dust. Insead of sanding, I use a fresh blade to scrape the jet indoors and if i have to sand a tiny spot, I make sure im gently rubbing it so as not to kick up dust.When I sand the whole jet outside I suit up with the $2.5 jail over alls, and the whole 9 yards. Eye, hearing and respirator. I want to live long enough to enjoy a flight
Jul 04, 2017, 07:08 AM
When I work with CF allways I have tried wet sanding for espesialy respiratory problems.
Jul 09, 2017, 10:51 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoaheli
i have used about 2 gallons of epoxy west system. I have really not kept track but its a couple hundred bucks.
yes i take precautions with CF dust. Insead of sanding, I use a fresh blade to scrape the jet indoors and if i have to sand a tiny spot, I make sure im gently rubbing it so as not to kick up dust.When I sand the whole jet outside I suit up with the $2.5 jail over alls, and the whole 9 yards. Eye, hearing and respirator. I want to live long enough to enjoy a flight
Thanks for your reply, but I asked how much CARBON you had used, not how much resin. Resin is cheap. Carbon fiber cloth is expensive.
Jul 10, 2017, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Up
Thanks for your reply, but I asked how much CARBON you had used, not how much resin. Resin is cheap. Carbon fiber cloth is expensive.
the truthful answer is i have not been keeping track , I made a bunch of mistakes in the beginning and had to throw material away and grind some off.

you have to pick the right weave for the job, small gauge is expensive, while the heavy 400g stuff is very cheap.

One way to save is get the 400gsm and dismantle the weave, then lay the tow bundles one bundle at a time.
Jul 20, 2017, 11:41 PM
Thread OP

construction started on the splitter plate

im copying the jet pictured, looks like a subsonic boundary layer split plate for the jet intake, I wonder how much of a difference a well designed one would make on a model of this scale
Jul 21, 2017, 10:28 AM
Classic jets rule
That is one of the XF-104's. It did not have a J-79 engine. It is shorter too. I think a plate would help if done right. I have them on many of my jets.
Jul 21, 2017, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
Yes I started the process. I figured that the air that's supposed to travel over and under the wing would get sucked into the intake creating a situation of reduced lift at full power. Also scooping undisturbed air. I will add the plate
Jul 24, 2017, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
One side done.
After doing a little more investigation it seems like the plate would generate a vortex along the the boundary layer. This might be a good thing on a fuselage of this length.
Jul 31, 2017, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
Final sanding
Aug 03, 2017, 06:43 AM
Thread OP
Getting closer. It keeps Getting closer😊
Aug 03, 2017, 07:47 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Would a light coloured guide coat maybe help to see where needs sanding back?
Aug 03, 2017, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
exactly im starting with light brown

Quick Reply