Buddy Davis Sport Fish - Page 5 - RC Groups
Sep 11, 2016, 06:44 PM
lots of water; some of it thin
As normal procedure I disconnected the + wire on one of the ESC's. I initialized both of them with the RX; not through the V-tail. Will try it through the V-tail. However, I don't need the V-tail to learn what I really want to know about the Johnson's speed.

Thanks for the advice Mitch.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2016, 03:33 PM
First hull wetting! Ran quite to my satisfaction. Speed looked good, maneuverability is outstanding. No need for the V-tail mixer. Have the same problem with the Proboat ESC that was noted somewhere else in the Forum.
Runs much faster in reverse than forward. Will have to try to find the answer to the problem. Comments, suggestions welcome.
Sep 14, 2016, 03:40 PM

Lucky to have clean water

That's some mighty nice clear lookin' water there ...

Wish I was there to put in as well.
Sep 14, 2016, 04:11 PM
Yeah Tim, the water is spectacularly clear! 'Round here these ponds are known as kettle holes.
Adding to post above, both the motors and ESC,s ran cool so looks like the Johnsons are going to be fine for propulsion. Have tweaked the TX settings and by sound, think forward is now faster than reverse. At least now balanced with reverse.
Sep 14, 2016, 05:53 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Bill if the motors like to run faster in reverse with current setup, switch the port and starboard props. Really won't matter if they are turning inward or outward as long as they are counter rotating to each other.

Bill
Sep 14, 2016, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound sailor
Bill if the motors like to run faster in reverse with current setup, switch the port and starboard props. Really won't matter if they are turning inward or outward as long as they are counter rotating to each other.

Bill
Thanks Bill,
I think I solved it with TX tweaks. But if not your suggestion will be next. The present set-up is RH prop to Stbd; LH prop to Port...counter rotating outward.
What are you building now at HFBW?
Bill
Last edited by chum444; Sep 14, 2016 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Sep 14, 2016, 07:49 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Bill, not long ago we had a guy bring a military boat with the same problem to the pond. Couldn't get out of it's own way forward. I loaned him some allen wrenches to switch the props and it took off. It is due to the timing of the motors.

Haven't done any building since my vertigo episodes. Still have the CG 47' to finish and a couple of others in the pipeline.
Best to family

Bill
Sep 14, 2016, 08:00 PM
Hmmm. Had not thought about motor timing. Thanks Bill

Bill
Sep 14, 2016, 10:30 PM
Bill are you sure you aren't in the Bahamas?
Wish our pond looked like that !
Sep 14, 2016, 11:45 PM
boat butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum444
First hull wetting! Ran quite to my satisfaction. Speed looked good, maneuverability is outstanding. No need for the V-tail mixer. Have the same problem with the Proboat ESC that was noted somewhere else in the Forum.
Runs much faster in reverse than forward. Will have to try to find the answer to the problem. Comments, suggestions welcome.
Lookin' good .

Mark
Sep 15, 2016, 03:42 PM
mahoganyfan

Great Job

Looking great Chum, love the transport vehicle.
Sep 15, 2016, 04:49 PM
RCTugger
instead of switching prop rotation you can also switch batt polarity going to both motors then switch throttle at transmitter.
Sep 15, 2016, 06:00 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. The hull speed, in scale, was very near to matching the cruise speed of a 1:1 SF . My real puzzle is why the speed (by sound) was greater in reverse. I did adjust the speed, again by sound, to get FWD & REV speeds equal by TX adjustments. I want to have a speed reserve for when the hull is ballasted.

Thank you RCT. I tried your suggestion early on. Exposed another problem, perhaps inherent with the Proboat ESC's. I could not trim out the props' rotation (with Tx throttle in neutral) when the servo trim was set to reverse on the TX. Original ESC's were Mtroniks but they only output 1.2V to the RX BEC. The Flysky RX requires north of 4V for the BEC.

Hope to splash it again tomorrow to test what mods I made.
Solving problems is part of the fun. Right?????
Last edited by chum444; Sep 15, 2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Sep 17, 2016, 02:46 PM
RCTugger
Chum...if memory serves me, I have not used those "Blue Bricks" in quite a while, but I think they only supplied about 60% voltage in normal reverse mode but 100% in forward. Might check your voltage to the motors in rev and fwd.
Sep 17, 2016, 02:51 PM
RCTugger
We stopped using them, especially in the tugs cuz the Pro Boat esc would come on at about 40% throttle which did not give good slow speed. It has to do with their pulse freq. I like to be able to "count the blades" for slow speed.