Jul 10, 2016, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

30th Anniversary RS Systems FQM117B Mig 27 Expendable Target

It has been about 32 years now since Steve Stricker and I designed and built what became the FQM117B expendable target purchased by the Army in 1983 to provide air defense training. I placed some video on the Tube of my last original RS Systems Mig 27 target.

Chris flying Mig Dec 2015
RS Systems Mig 27 30th Anniversary (4 min 12 sec)

Art and Chris flying Migs from Esparo 1987
RS Systems FQM117B, Esparo Gun Test 1987 (1 min 15 sec)

This is a stock commercial version (all blue foam) with an original HB .61 turning a REV-Up 11x7 prop, steerable nose gear but no moving rudder. It doesn't need it. I have also added some images (most never published before) of some of the more interesting places we ever flew the Migs and the people that helped to train and support various
Last edited by Whiplash46; Jul 10, 2016 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2016, 07:56 PM
Chris this is Mark that grew up flying with Steve and Paul in Baltimore. Where is that field that you flew the 30th anniversary video from?

Congratulations on the 30 year anniversary!!!!
Jul 12, 2016, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Hello there Woketman! That's the new RCMB field not too far from Steve's house. Off 83 N at York road. Time does fly doesn't it. Much like everyone else, I have hardly built anything much original in 15 years. Been flying Horizon and Hobbico electric ARFs mostly. They are great but It was really interesting to fly a Mig again. It was a great airplane, target or not for its day. There is a build thread for the Excalibur here on RCG, Paul has made a few posts,

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2618385

Hope all is well, I'm going flying on Friday!!!

Chris
Jul 14, 2016, 07:07 PM
It's just plane fun
Awesome videos and pictures! Looked like a rough job but I guess someone had to do it!

I have a couple of the later GG Migs and one F-16 I want to get in the air. Some of the original foamies!
Jan 03, 2020, 05:11 PM

FQM 117B RCMAT RS Systems

My name is Jay Levine , I was a Seargent in the US Army , I was in Air defense Artillery ,and Flew this AirCraft on many Traning Exercises .The Rs Systems RCMAT was a better Manufactured Aerial Target then the Goldberg Target , I flew for 1/59 ADA and 5/3 ADA , 8th Inf Div in Germany back in the 80s as well as Fort Bliss 2nd Bde Traning Command
and I can tell you that this Target Served the US Army with Honor and Designation ,even some of our Military Allies used it as well , we use to drop tear gas and Smoke grenades from them on military Exercises, I under stand that the US Military will be bringing the RCMAT back into service in 2020 , I only Hope that the Next Contractor will Manufacture a Good Product . yes they are targets ,but they have to be dependable, I later Flew as a Contractor for Continental Rpvs in Barstow California , Griffon Aerospace in Redstone Arsenal has been Flying Aerial Targets for the Military after Continental went out of Bussiness , any way The Military needs a good Aerial Target for the Air Defense Units in the US Army and The Marine Corp , That the Troops can Operate and maintain
Jan 11, 2020, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Hello JayN29X,

Hadn't heard that small targets were coming back but glad to hear it if that's true. Thanks for the post.

Chris

Quick Reply