One more
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2018, 05:49 PM
I think I go fly
Thread OP

Mustang

Can't get enough...
Jul 12, 2018, 11:36 AM
How would this look in your hangar? your den? .. or favorite restaurant?

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/4682

60% actual size . Span 22'-3" weighs about 300lbs. Disassembles for transport.

Based upon NAA parts and assembly drawings & data.
Jul 16, 2018, 02:03 PM
Great thread, it is amazing how this 1 airplane stands out, no matter what aviation venue is involved. If Edgar only knew I was organizing photos today for a Cub thread and found this. Here are some of my gopro shots with Betty Jane. I've been fortunate to have flown both the D and the C. They both fly the same, essentially. The D has better visibility, lands slower, but, for me, the B/C carries more nostalgia...Shangri-La, Bee, Old Crow (malcom), just the looks. The C is slightly faster although its negligible...the both go like snot.

Jim

CT by jim harley, on Flickr

Hudson run by jim harley, on Flickr

CT by jim harley, on Flickr
Jul 17, 2018, 11:01 AM
I've got it from a driver out in Florida that B/C with a Malcom hood, provides the best view, bar none.

NAA has advertised, in war time industry periodicals, that a plus for the "bubble canopy" installation on D represented 150+ man hrs., plus significant materials saved per unit, vs earlier types. Can't ignore the financial component of history!
Jul 17, 2018, 03:33 PM
That made me chuckle, "bar none" is a hard sell for me. There is a cool factor with the Malcom but aside from a better view of the wing fillets, the roll over structure and the fuselage structure is still in the way. Direct visibility to that rear is non existent. In the D you can see around the armor plate and look straight back at the rudder. Every Mustang pilot has a favorite feature and its fun to debate. There aren't that many that are current in B.

I don't like the feel of the D cockpit, the trim console is right under the throttle quadrant, the seat isn't as reclined as the B/C and the big "bicycle" grip throttle handle is awkward. The ball handled throttle in the B/C is much more natural...I know it was tied to the gunsight, but its at the wrong angle.

View from the D, Wayne flying wing on me in Betty, chasing the 24.
Dcockpit2 by jim harley, on Flickr

looking backwards from the birdcage
Ccockpit by jim harley, on Flickr

comparing the 2 at the Historic Flight Foundation...although visibility to the rear is improved, its still isn't near as good as a D, IMHO

Ccockpit3 by jim harley, on Flickr
Jul 18, 2018, 10:35 AM
Well, there you go. Everybody likes what they do.

By far P-51D is the sentimental favorite, however the B is the model that took on the Luftwaffe , prior to D day, entering combat operations in Nov.43. P-51D arrived in England (and Italy) in May of '44 nd started on ops in first days of June. About the same time P-51C were introduced, So P-51D would not be the dominant American type for some months more. Both B and C served till VE Day, but the D emerged as THE Mustang of the war and darling of subsequent history.
Sep 27, 2018, 12:55 PM
I think I go fly
Thread OP

Jim

Thank you for your beautiful pictures and contributing to the thread about the wonderful Mustang

Your photos are a treasure and your experience is priceless
Nov 07, 2018, 02:26 PM
If anyone is interested, I have a playlist of Mustang video on my YouTube channel:

Gunfighter Promo (4 min 58 sec)
Apr 11, 2019, 03:00 PM
Dinosaur
Sort of interesting > https://silodrome.com/unrestored-p-51d-mustang/

Tom
Apr 12, 2019, 10:59 PM
Very interesting! However, the aircraft shown is not sporting a paddle blade prop. It is more correctly known as a "square tipped" type. According to known manuals, the original WWII cuffed type is specifically called the "paddle blade" variant. Trivia, I know, but shows how screwed up popular percerption can get!
Apr 13, 2019, 03:39 PM
Dinosaur
I kept digging and found on this > https://www.platinumfighters.com/p-51-partsmerlins

Tom
Jul 01, 2019, 07:24 PM
Dinosaur
Not all of them are Mustangs but you'll like them anyway. Click on them to enlarge. Some great photos for your computer's background (wallpaper).
https://imgur.com/gallery/RNhGg

Tom
Jul 31, 2019, 02:45 PM
I think I go fly
Thread OP

Here you go

More.
Aug 18, 2019, 06:52 PM
From an airshow today at New Garden, near Kennett Square, PA.

Quick Reply