Jul 09, 2016, 07:05 PM
Mini-Review

Cheerson CX10WD - Review (Courtesy of Banggood)

Hi all,

Today I will be reviewing the Cheerson CX10WD. When the likes of Wifi FPV and altitude hold budget aerial photography drones were more or less revolutionized. Altitude hold and Wifi FPV had been something only GPS drones enjoyed. And now with the introduction of the Cheerson CX10WD it combines both of these technologies into a nano form factor. Will it blew away the competition?

Thank you BGWell from Banggood for providing this quadcopter for an unbiased review, this product is available here: http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-...cheersoncx10wd

Specifications: (From Banggood's site)

Brand Name: Cheerson
Item No.: CX-10WD
Item Name: CX-10WD Mini Wifi FPV with High Hold Mode RC Quadcopter
Diameter of Blade: 30mm
Channal: 4CH
Transmitter type: 2.4G
GYRO: 6-axis
quadcopter Battery: 3.7V 150MAH Li Battery (Included)
Transmitter battery: 4 x AA 1.5V dry battery (Not included)
Flying Time: About 4mins
R/C Distance: 20-40m
WIFI FPV Distance: About 20-40m
Charging Time: about 30mins
Camera: 0.3MP (Resolution 640X480)
Material: ABSAviation Material
Size Of Product: 42x42x25mm
Product wieght: 17g
Color:Golden, Rosy Red, Grey
Certificate: RTTE+NB,FCC,EN71,7P,ASTM,HR4040,EN62115,EN60825,CD ,ROSH,MSDS,UN38.3

Features:
1. 4 channel transmitter: Ascend/Descend;Forward/Backward; Left/Right sideward fly; Left/Right rotation; Hover etc, flexible and comfortable.
2. 6-axis gyro system makes CX-10WD very stable and easy to opearate.
3. Transmitter & Mobile Phone Dual Operating Mode.
4. CX-10WD is equiped with multi-color LED lights making the flight more spectacular especially in the dark.
5. CX-10WD super small size, can be throw to fly.
6. CX-10WD has 0.3MP camera, can take video and pictures.
7. CX-10WD has latest mobile phone WIFI remote control mode, support IOS/Android, you can scan QR code to get the APP.
8.CX-10WD can be operated in 3 flying modes. High/Low speed modes can be changed using a transmitter and the third mode in 360°high speed rotation mode in which the aircraft's light dazzle.
9. CX-10WD is equipped with a battery protection module to protect and prevent overcharging the battery.
10. With high density air presure sensor which can precisely hold the height, stable and easy to operate.
11. CX-10WD mobile WIFI distance: 15-30 meters, suitable for indoor flight.
12. CX-10WD comes with one-touch take off, one-touch landing options as well as one key to return function.

Package Includes:

1 x CX-10WD quadcopter (with 3.7V 150MAH Li Battery)
1 x Transmitter
4 x Spare Blades
1 x USB Charging cable
1 x Manuals

Unboxing:

Name: IMG_20160708_091432.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 793.0 KB
Description:

I have to say, this package from Banggood wasn't packaged well. There was only one thin layer of protective padding across some areas and none over others.

Name: IMG_20160708_091442.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 293.3 KB
Description:

This meant that the box was beaten up and not exactly appealing by the time it got to my doorstep.

Name: IMG_20160708_091541.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 805.7 KB
Description:

This is essentially everything you get when you open the package, with spares located under the transmitter.

The Quadcopter Itself:

Name: IMG_20160708_091858.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 596.7 KB
Description:

The drone looks very much like the CX10W rather than the CX10D.

Name: IMG_20160708_091908.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 571.2 KB
Description:

At the back you have the antenna for FPV. Note, the absence of an SD card. All footage is recorded to your phone.

Name: IMG_20160708_091926.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 750.2 KB
Description:

On the 'belly' of the drone you will not find the lipo cage exposed. I think this is a good improvement of the CX10W and shows that Cheerson gave real thought to its design.

Transmitter:

Name: IMG_20160708_091712.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 689.8 KB
Description:

The thing that is truly unique about this transmitter is the fact that it can store the drone inside this. Unfortunately there is an absences of trim controls because of this, but they can be accessed through the app.

Name: IMG_20160708_093158.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 473.0 KB
Description:

There are two shoulder buttons on the transmitter, one being the ability to switch between mode 1 and 2. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work though and the transmitter stays in mode 2.

Name: IMG_20160708_093150.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 591.4 KB
Description:

The other shoulder button is responsible for auto take off and land, what's more it works. And rather quite well. It makes the drone much more beginner friendly and easier to fly as well.

Name: IMG_20160708_091756.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 145.7 KB
Description:

This is done through 4 'holding cups' built into the transmitter.

Name: IMG_20160708_091703.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 443.4 KB
Description:

And a locking mechanism that prevents the drone from falling out.

Name: IMG_20160708_091814.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 572.2 KB
Description:

This transmitter required 2 'AAA' batteries to operate.

Spares:

Name: IMG_20160708_091556.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 863.0 KB
Description:

These are the three spares/accessories that you get. A smartphone mount, a full set of spare propellers and a charging cable. Spare parts are currently not listed on Banggood's site so you'll need to look after them.

Name: IMG_20160708_091610.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 709.8 KB
Description:

There's nothing special with the propellers, you just pull and push them onto the shaft to remove/insert. No propeller tool is required.

Name: IMG_20160708_091623.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 798.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20160708_091627.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 829.0 KB
Description:

You also receive a mount. This is easy to attach and worked with my iPhone 5 OtterBox case just fine, unfortunately my friends' Nexus 5X didn't fit though.

App:

The app does its job well. It does everything teh transmitter can and more. It adds the capabilities of trim, 'gravity sensor' (control via tilt) and photo and video capability. It has an appealing and simple interface, that makes it very easy to use.

Controlling the drone via the app is of course not as easy as via transmitter, that's why there's also the option of switching off control from the app and using it as a standalone FPV monitor.

Flight:

In flight this Cheerson is much more similar to the CX10D than to the CX10W, this changes when you use the app to control the drone. You see there are three rates available: 30%, 60% and 100% these can be triggered from both the app and the transmitter, however I feel as if even when in '100%' on the app I can never achieve the same speed as with the transmitter.

The rates themselves however are well thought out and do deserve a mention. The first two rates are perfect for indoor flight. The slowest for a bedroom and the middle for a garage. The highest rate is ideal for outdoor use. This is where in my opinion the CX10WD exceeds the competition.

Despite this I wouldn't be flying in wind, those 6mm motors already have a short life span.

But the yaw does not seem to change but seems to stay the same throughout all rates.

Camera:

The camera has a resolution of just 0.3mp. This means that it records footage in VGA . It does handle well in different light but resolution is no miracle. This means the camera is more of a gimmick rather than an actual feature of the drone. Never the less i did take some very nice shots, see below.

Videos:
Cheerson CX10WD - Promo (Courtesy of Banggood) (0 min 12 sec)

Cheerson CX10WD - Indoor Flight (Courtesy of Banggood) (1 min 40 sec)

Cheerson CX10WD - Raw Pictures (Courtesy of Banggood) (1 min 2 sec)

Cheerson CX10WD - Overview (Courtesy of Banggood) (1 min 35 sec)

Pros and Cons:

Pros:

Rates are tuned very well.
Well designed app
FPV is present.
Drone can be stored in case.
Auto takoff/land is present and works well.
Durability
Altitude hold
Cost

Cons:

Low resolution camera.
No trims on transmitter.
Spare parts aren't available yet.

Suggested Improvements: Cheerson have done a good job with this one but trim buttons are a must even if they are available on the app. The only other real drawback is the lack of spare parts, but I am sure that Banggood will stock them soon.

Verdict: A great present, novelty item or beginner drone but for any aerial photography this isn't your buy.
Last edited by DroneRequired; Jul 24, 2016 at 04:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2016, 04:43 PM
You say:
"three rates available: 30%, 60% and 100% these can be triggered from both the app and the transmitter"

How do you control the rates on the transmitter? I've only seen where you can do that in the app. Also, do you know if once you set the rate in the app, if it sticks with the transmitter if you are using that to control the CX-10?
Jul 11, 2016, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardking
You say:
"three rates available: 30%, 60% and 100% these can be triggered from both the app and the transmitter"

How do you control the rates on the transmitter? I've only seen where you can do that in the app. Also, do you know if once you set the rate in the app, if it sticks with the transmitter if you are using that to control the CX-10?
You can change the rate on the transmitter by 'clicking' the left stick. One beep is 30%, 2 beeps is 60% etc.

And I'll get back to you on your last question but for the time being I believe so.
Jul 12, 2016, 02:14 AM
Do you think there is a difference in the altitude hold between this and the CX-10D? I had problems with the CX-10D raising and lowering altitude while moving but haven't seen that problem on my CX-10WD.
Jul 12, 2016, 03:36 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadcopterPatrol
Do you think there is a difference in the altitude hold between this and the CX-10D? I had problems with the CX-10D raising and lowering altitude while moving but haven't seen that problem on my CX-10WD.

The WD does altitude hold better. Auto landing also goes better than the "D".
Jul 12, 2016, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
The WD does altitude hold better. Auto landing also goes better than the "D".
+1. Completly agree.
Jul 13, 2016, 04:35 AM
I've added another video:
Cheerson CX10WD - Indoor Flight (Courtesy of Banggood) (1 min 40 sec)
Jul 16, 2016, 07:31 PM
I added a raw photo video:
Cheerson CX10WD - Raw Pictures (Courtesy of Banggood) (1 min 2 sec)
Jul 22, 2016, 04:22 AM
Added more to flight and camera.
Jul 24, 2016, 04:43 AM
Probably my last video for this fella:
Cheerson CX10WD - Overview (Courtesy of Banggood) (1 min 35 sec)
Jul 29, 2016, 06:40 PM
How do you upload pics and videos from the app I can't figure this out on my smart phone please help
Jul 29, 2016, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonM764
How do you upload pics and videos from the app I can't figure this out on my smart phone please help
You can't actually save video with the android version. But photos can be saved by pressing the 'camera' symbol.

Photos can then be found in device folders under UFO WiFi.

Hope that helps.
Jul 29, 2016, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneRequired
You can't actually save video with the android version. But photos can be saved by pressing the 'camera' symbol.

Photos can then be found in device folders under UFO WiFi.

Hope that helps.
Thanks I will give that a try. But how do people share videos that they take with the drone?
Last edited by RonM764; Jul 29, 2016 at 09:27 PM.
Sep 27, 2016, 10:41 AM
Is the remote control worth it? I bought this but choose the wrong one and didn't get the remote. Now considering if it's worth ordering the remote separately. Do you have better control over it with the remote?
Sep 27, 2016, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee8432
Is the remote control worth it? I bought this but choose the wrong one and didn't get the remote. Now considering if it's worth ordering the remote separately. Do you have better control over it with the remote?
I personally hate flying it through a smartphone, for me it's all about the stick feel. But then again it's down to personal preference.

Quick Reply