Jul 09, 2016, 10:00 AM
Newbie RC'r and member
Thread OP
Discussion

What is your favourite experience with a heli?

Could be the first time you realised you could hover, or do a piroflip, could be the first time you flew a decent heli. Any one off experience in this hobby that think back with fond memories?

Mine was the first time I flew a 450 (360cfx). I didn't realise that CP helis controlled altitude so responsively like like in the sim! I had the shakes for a few minutes after the flight as well, quite the sound and performance.

I wonder I will feel that again if I move up to a 550+
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2016, 10:11 AM
☆ OVERDISCHARGE MASTER ☆
If you get a big heli, you will realize how horrifying first hover is at 80%

...but that is the most awesome experience after I flew 450.
Flipping first time is a close second. Maybe a tie
Jul 09, 2016, 10:28 AM
Genius man
The successful maiden hover of my 450 build, before that I had only been flying micros. I thought the 450 wouldn't take off, as it felt heavy, but it did take off lol. And the sound of the rotor blades beating against the rotor wash air or wind is amazing. I agree with felixthemaster, it flies like the one in the simulator.
Jul 09, 2016, 10:57 AM
☆ OVERDISCHARGE MASTER ☆
It doesn't when you add a bigger battery
I fly with 4000mah
Jul 09, 2016, 11:05 AM
Newbie RC'r and member
Thread OP
6s 4000mah on a 450?
Jul 09, 2016, 11:22 AM
☆ OVERDISCHARGE MASTER ☆
to me long flight times were very important because I was learning(hovering) back then, so 17 minute flight times were the coolest thing ever.
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Nov 22, 2016 at 01:02 PM.
Jul 09, 2016, 11:27 AM
Closed Account
My favourite still is, 32 years or so ago, when I first ever brought the heli back home in one piece and realized it when I put it back on the shelf without the need for repairing it....

Lots of great experiences after that, but that one tops the list because it was the one that convinced me, RC heli flight IS possible after all....
Jul 09, 2016, 11:35 AM
Newbie RC'r and member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967
My favourite still is, 32 years or so ago, when I first ever brought the heli back home in one piece and realized it when I put it back on the shelf without the need for repairing it....

Lots of great experiences after that, but that one tops the list because it was the one that convinced me, RC heli flight IS possible after all....
I remember a similar moment as well! I was walking home and I do the usual "Thank god I didn't crash!" but then I realised that for a few flights now, i didn't expect to crash! Made me really happy since progress was noticeable. In a lot of things we train at in life, progress isn't as easy to notice and motivation is easy to lose.
Jul 09, 2016, 11:37 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Probably nose in hovering because it suddenly 'clicked' which was a great feeling.
Jul 09, 2016, 11:40 AM
Newbie RC'r and member
Thread OP
I am yet to feel this "click" that everyone keeps talking about. I only gradually improve. The closest to a 'click' that I have felt was realising that i was doing wrong with the collective in circles.
Jul 09, 2016, 01:31 PM
Cranky old fart
The first time I got an HBFP to hover. It must have taken me over a month! Every attempt before that resulted in failure and breakage.
Jul 09, 2016, 09:09 PM
Flying helis since 1978
My favorite is slicing the crap out of a galvanized trash can while learning how to hover my Schluter Heli Boy back in the early 1980s.

Learned to respect the power of these beasties!

rotorist.
Jul 10, 2016, 01:10 PM
AMA 372805
when I threw that 600 in the dumpster and watched the garbage man put it in his truck and then pull the lever that compresses everything down a fraction of original size.
To paraphrase Dr. Seuss-
"ďAnd what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that my wallet grew three sizes that day"
Jul 10, 2016, 01:15 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Thread OP
Damn, I wish I did that to my nano CPX. I need to make friends with a person who operates a hydraulic press.
Jul 10, 2016, 01:55 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthemaster
Damn, I wish I did that to my nano CPX. I need to make friends with a person who operates a hydraulic press.
The good thing about nanos (the only good thing?) is you dont need a hydraulic press. A size 10 boot will do the job on a nano quite nicely.

Quick Reply