Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Sep 09, 2016, 05:52 PM
Registered User
iron eagle's Avatar
Make up a square edge blank piece of balsa a bit longer than you need. Mill out the shape on one side leaving a squared off section on each end. Flip it over and using your square pieces to align it and clamp it back down to the bed of your CNC and mill the flip side. You only need to leave enough wood on each end to support the piece as you mill it, cut off the blocks and a bit of sanding and you have your wingtips.
Loose the square edge on the leading edge of fin thats going grab the grass.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2016, 01:04 AM
InceCreations
vincent123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron eagle
Make up a square edge blank piece of balsa a bit longer than you need. Mill out the shape on one side leaving a squared off section on each end. Flip it over and using your square pieces to align it and clamp it back down to the bed of your CNC and mill the flip side. You only need to leave enough wood on each end to support the piece as you mill it, cut off the blocks and a bit of sanding and you have your wingtips.
Loose the square edge on the leading edge of fin thats going grab the grass.
Sounds good!

Will the balsa be strong enough? Glassing the outside perhaps.
A piece of plywood of 2mm can be slotted in the tips end, so i have a hard contact point with the grass.,
Sep 10, 2016, 01:24 AM
InceCreations
vincent123's Avatar
Another thought: having the wing ends drooped down including the elevons, a roll will induce also a yaw (in the good direction), I don' t want it to be too big of a roll moment, as snap rolls will be happered, not?
Sep 10, 2016, 12:40 PM
Registered User
iron eagle's Avatar
If you don't go to nuts it should be fine.
Sep 10, 2016, 01:10 PM
Registered User
iron eagle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123
Sounds good!

Will the balsa be strong enough? Glassing the outside perhaps.
A piece of plywood of 2mm can be slotted in the tips end, so i have a hard contact point with the grass.,
Doing that to the tip should make it pretty much indestructible.
Sep 10, 2016, 01:59 PM
InceCreations
vincent123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron eagle
If you don't go to nuts it should be fine.
Sep 11, 2016, 09:18 AM
InceCreations
vincent123's Avatar
Ok, it' s looking like it'll be another flying wing

Worked on the EDF in the wing today.
Inlet (perpendiular on flight line) is 100% of FSA, outlet 90%.
Wing angle of attack towards EDF is 0.6°C for flying level at 150km/h.

Wingspan, is a bit larger than my first estimate, it's now 1400mm, 300mm wider than the FZ.

Weight about 2900gr, wing loading 24.7 oz/ft2
Sweep 33°.

The wing will be a challenge !It has to accomodate the EDF weighing 200gram each and it will be drooped for about half the span, with a hopefully stylish wing skid at the tips ..

So, I know what I'll be doing the comming months !

Vincent
Last edited by vincent123; Sep 11, 2016 at 10:38 AM.
Sep 11, 2016, 10:09 AM
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
Getting the spar across the edf will be a challenge!
Sep 11, 2016, 03:14 PM
Registered User
iron eagle's Avatar
Vincent treat it like two small outboard fuselages on either side of the main one.
That is why I was saying your wing root needed to be a bit thicker.
Sep 12, 2016, 12:30 AM
InceCreations
vincent123's Avatar
Ok, now i have 10% thickness, you mean towards the root make it thicker ?
Sep 12, 2016, 06:42 AM
Herk
HerkS's Avatar
Just thinking --- Does a craft like this really need a fuselage???
Sep 12, 2016, 11:36 AM
InceCreations
vincent123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS
Just thinking --- Does a craft like this really need a fuselage???
Plenty of stuff to get rid off !
Sep 12, 2016, 11:47 AM
Registered User
iron eagle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123
Plenty of stuff to get rid off !
Well you could always go with a cropped diamond or kite shaped center section that is an airfoil. Problem with that is it would radically increase the whetted area.
Vince I was thinking something along the lines of 20% at the root down to 12% at the DF pod side. Doing that you would probably be able to have the esc's in the wing root itself so they would be between the batteries and the fans.
Sep 12, 2016, 12:08 PM
InceCreations
vincent123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron eagle
Well you could always go with a cropped diamond or kite shaped center section that is an airfoil. Problem with that is it would radically increase the whetted area.
Vince I was thinking something along the lines of 20% at the root down to 12% at the DF pod side. Doing that you would probably be able to have the esc's in the wing root itself so they would be between the batteries and the fans.
ESC in between the EDF and fuselage, good idea.

Gonna try first with the standard thickness how far I jump.
I believe I got an idea how to make the wing strong.
Last edited by vincent123; Sep 12, 2016 at 01:19 PM.
Sep 12, 2016, 02:15 PM
Registered User
iron eagle's Avatar
Cool, can't wait to see what you come up with!


Thread Tools