Jul 08, 2016, 09:40 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

What do "YOU" like about the RC Sailplane/Glider Hobby?

What is it that makes this particular branch of the RC hobby appealing to you?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2016, 10:32 AM
In the "boring <--> frustrating" continuum, it has just the right balance of challenge to keep it interesting. The basics are easy enough to learn, but the devil is in the details and even after 30 years, I still find something new to help me understand what is actually going on and how to become a better pilot.
Jul 08, 2016, 10:47 AM
The continual challenge of staying up longer and longer with ever changing conditions. Building a repertoire of skills and approaches to solve the puzzle of lift.
Jul 08, 2016, 11:21 AM
All the attention the ladies give me when they find out I fly RC sailplanes.
Jul 08, 2016, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim
All the attention the ladies give me when they find out I fly RC sailplanes.
Yep Glider Jim is a regular chick magnet
Jul 08, 2016, 12:51 PM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
Every flight is different ...
Jul 08, 2016, 01:00 PM
On a more serious note, I went through my power plane and helicopter phase but fly sailplanes exclusively these days. I guess it still amazes me that what we do is even possible. I worked a weak thermal last weekend from about tree top height and after about 10 minutes of very patient work I had it up to 800'. That to me is the most satisfying thing. Maybe I'm still too new at it but it hasn't gotten old after several years.
Jul 08, 2016, 01:16 PM
What's wrong with heavy?
I like being out in the middle of a big open field.
Jul 08, 2016, 01:16 PM
All of the above...
Jul 08, 2016, 01:26 PM
The thrill of soaring with the buzzards!
Jul 08, 2016, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThTx
The thrill of soaring with the buzzards!
+1, Buzzards and Eagles. Love flying with them.
Jul 08, 2016, 02:59 PM
I fly thermals mostly; I do not have a decent slope close by.

To a spectator, watching some fool fly a big slow model for long lengths of time is very boring.

For me the challenge of using natural forces to stay in the air and flying with the raptors is wonderful.

But the biggest thrill and heart pounding anxiety comes from locating your plane and bringing it back alive when you are flying too high.
I think thermal flying is a bigger gamble and more exciting than a lot of normal powered R/C flying.

Craig
Jul 08, 2016, 03:28 PM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dephela
I like being out in the middle of a big open field.
Out standing in your field?
Jul 08, 2016, 03:31 PM
What's wrong with heavy?
I doubt I'll ever be outstanding, lol!
Jul 08, 2016, 03:47 PM
I've "played with" almost every kind of R/C vehicle there is over the past 40+ years. I started with power (fuel and electric), speed boats, sailboats, cars, helos, quads, and sailplanes. Sailplanes are the ones to which I continually return. I love the challenge of finding and staying in a thermal, the camaraderie of the club, the occasional contest and especially the quiet! After several thousand launches, both high start and winch, I still get a thrill watching my plane zoom into the sky untethered, except by my invisible control.

Quick Reply