Jul 07, 2016, 10:40 PM
Leo
New Product

Firefly Q6 - 4K 24fps 12MP Bring that competition!

The Firefly Q6 4K slimline action FPV camera camcorder is among the highly anticipated 2016 entry mimicking the Keychain camera form factor. HAWK-EYE Aerial Video Technology is known for it's ultra vivid FireFly 6s, that carries a Sony CMOS 12.0 MP sensor with high resolution and GYRO image stabilization; recently putting GoPro in a tough spot. This round, a new challenger to the Mobius and Runcam.

Comparison Test Results - Mobius Mini side ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2759329 )

Mobius MINI versus Firefly Q6 Latency Review (7 min 41 sec)

We flew the Runcam, Mobius and Keychain 808 #16, throughout last year, interested to see how Firefly lives up at droneMission.com About USD$64, anyone joining us? Please share your videos too.

User Segment
Camera Enthusiast, FPV Ready, Budget (July 2016 source: $56.99, Competitor's PRICE CHECK)

Firefly Q6 versus Mobius Runcam - Hawk Eye (7 min 29 sec)

Easy FPV setup for Yoke
Easy FPV setup with Firefly Q6 (8 min 51 sec)

Firefly Q6 on first FPV plane (6 min 9 sec)

What caught our attention. FPV Highlights
  • Remote Start and Stop recording using receiver (option)
  • External battery display. Use the AV voltage converter cable, connect a 2s-6s LiPo, voltage display will show on AV output
  • HDMI Output
  • GYRO image stabilization
  • Auto power on and gracefully turns off after your aircraft battery is powered off !
  • LCD screen and sound to assist pilot in knowing recording is on.
  • High video resolution like it's sibling Firefly 6s
  • Change all your settings with the LCD screen even in the dark, no PC software needed
  • Internal OSD to assist pilot
  • Angle adjustment: 3 options: Large / Medium / Small (small = less distortion but reduce image quality)

What To Expect If This Your First
HAWK-EYE Aerial Video cameras are designed for First Person View (FPV). The Q6 comes with an Audio Video out voltage converter cable. This allows you to connect to a video transmitter and begin receiving live video on your FPV goggles or monitors. Our initial test tells us this is a keeper, regardless if it films at a perfect 4K or not, the 1080P 60 FPS results are fantastic, with that perfect brightness balance suited for FPV. If you do not own a GoPro, this is definitely the choice for a budget Action Sports HD camera.

The menu system is simple and easy to use. Hawk-Eye has a clear understanding of usability, keeping the functions organized and reachable when needed. What differentiates the Firefly Q6 from it’s competitors, is the LCD screen embedded on a light 45 grams camera, inheriting the award winning Firefly 6S video quality. We like that the fact everything worked out of the box.

Factory Specifications
  • Brand Name: Hawkeye
  • Item Name: Hawkeye Firefly Q6 4K 1080P 24FPS HD Mini Camera
  • Model: Firefly Q6
  • Size: 30(L)*21(W)*25(H) mm
  • Image Sensor: SONY 12M back illumination CMOS
  • Wide Angle: 120 degree wide angle lens
  • ISO: Auto,ISO100,ISO1600,ISO400
  • Video Record Format: MP4
  • Photo Record Format: JPG
  • Video Resolution: 4K 24fps, 2.5K 30fps, 1080P 60fps / 30fps, 720P 120fps, VGA 30fps
  • Gyro Image Stabilization: Yes
  • Image Rotate 180 Degrees: Yes
  • OLED Size: 64*48MM
  • Videoplayer software: Quicktime
  • Storage Card: 8G--64G
  • C10 TF card needed: Yes
  • Microphone/Speaker: Yes
  • Image Resolution: 16M, 8M, 5M
  • Time-lapse: Off, 0.5s, 3s, 5s, 10s, 30s
  • Loop-cycle Recording : Yes
  • Loop-cycle Recording Time: 5min,OFF
  • HDMI Output: Yes
  • WDR: Yes
  • Weight: 50g (DM 45 grams without cables)

Similar Cameras
Users have considered these 2016 alternatives: Mobius C2, Runcam 2, Foxeer Legend1

How to Update Firmware
HAWK-EYE has been actively supporting the Q6 with new firmwares to improve on the camera. Here are the steps:
1. Delete any files and folders in the TF/SD memory card (Use: 8G-16G cards)
2. Download the firmware files (all .bin files) to memory card
3. Put the memory card into FIREFLY Q6 (make sure your battery is charged greater than 50%)
4. Power on FIREFLY Q6 and it will update the firmware automatically
5. When updating, the LED will flash. (If not Press and hold Power key to Power Off and Power On again).
6. When the update is complete, the FIREFLY Q6 will reboot automatically
7. Delete the firmware file() in the memory card to avoid upgrading again
8. The version is updated to show the next new v#, when you scroll through the menu

To avoid using floating copies, you can find the official Download button below.

Firmware Version History

V2.5 Date:2017-02-13
1.Add Frame rate First option: ON/OFF; ON: Frame rate will keep high in low light condintions.(if you want to save power, turn it OFF).
2.Add Slow motion movie.Set it ON, it will capture slow motion movie and save to tf card.
3.Add Long exposure function; OFF, 0.5S, 1 S, 2S,5S, 1 0S, 20 S, 30S, 60S. This function is design for light doodle. When capture light doodle, be patience to wait for the machine to finish.

v2.4 skipped

V2.3
1. Optimize image in low light conditions

v2.2
1. Add contrast menu.
2. Modify EV value, a better EV value, prevent over expose.
3. Add time laps 1 sec recording.
4. Modify color value, makes difference between vivid/standard.

v 2.1
1.Add LED ON/OFF option.
2.Add speaker ON/OFF option.
3.Solve 4K mode can't record at high bit rate mode.
4.Default sharpness is middle.
5.Default Exposure is middle.
6.Solve the fault when turn WDR ON

v2.0
1.Optimize Gyro function.

What we love about it
•Superb sharp and vibrant colors
•Brightness average balance option for FPV, balancing skyline and ground
•Remote Control Module, to start and stop recording remotely
•LCD screen, no need for PC software to change settings

What may be essential we hope to see in the next version
•Mini playback of video

Quote:

be back with Firefly Q6 and video updates shortly

source: http://youtube.com/diydrone (see Firefly 6s and the top 5 cameras)
Join us, you are welcome to share your reviews, photos and videos here

Contribution by the DroneMission.com R&D Team
Last edited by diydrone; Feb 26, 2017 at 04:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2016, 03:54 AM
Looks really good! how about the delay?
Jul 08, 2016, 08:48 AM
Leaf on the wind
Impressive numbers at that price, if I didn't just buy a Yi I'd get one.
Jul 08, 2016, 11:10 AM
You shouldn't state that its lighter than a Mobius at 45 - 50g because that's not true. The latest Mobius with the larger C Lens only weighs 34grams. I own both the camera and scale.

I do think price point is nice on this new cam. That and 1080p at 60fps interests me more than 4k at 24fps
Jul 08, 2016, 05:51 PM
Leo
agree, just listing what intrigue us, just 2 grams I guess not so significant, but same here flying at 1080p at 60fps is what interests us more.

Check Prices at Sellers: GearBest/q6 or Banggood/q6

Mobius New Lens C2

Firefly Q6
Last edited by diydrone; Jul 31, 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Jul 09, 2016, 02:45 PM
Awesome that it is in keychain form factor

One big thing missing for me - wifi, where I could control the camera from smartphone - stop, start, resolution and bitrate preferences.

Will wifi be added to this model? Wifi is so good to have and important.

What is the maximum bitrate avaiable? It would be great to have 50 mbit/s bitrate to not lose video details. I saw your samples are
between 10 Mbit/s and 24 MBit/s - this is very very low and low detail.

Please explain. Thanks.
Jul 10, 2016, 01:45 AM
UAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven2007 View Post
One big thing missing for me - wifi, where I could control the camera from smartphone - stop, start, resolution and bitrate preferences.
Not sure about the need for WIFI. The Q6 has a LCD screen that allows you change settings even in the dark, no need for PC software or phone. You can see what you record on your fpv screen and compose your shots. You can start and stop recording, as far as you can fly, using your radio transmitter. 10km, 15km, your radio is your limit?
Last edited by UAS; Jan 02, 2017 at 09:42 AM.
Jul 10, 2016, 02:57 AM
WiFi is needed for config, preview and start, stop. Without it, you don't even see what you record and how camera is positioned. WiFi is a must. It is not only about start and stop recording.

Keychain size is ideal for detectives, any kind of surveillance, monitoring work.

To me WiFi feature with live preview is a must.
Jul 10, 2016, 07:07 AM
Leo
Footage comparison Firefly Q6, Mobius and Runcam added
Last edited by diydrone; Sep 30, 2016 at 05:25 AM.
Jul 10, 2016, 06:18 PM
amazing, the next generation of hd fpv cameras with hdmi.

I aleady see what i record on my fpv monitor and goggle, usually avoid using wifi
Last edited by surfrc; Sep 26, 2016 at 01:12 AM.
Jul 11, 2016, 07:56 AM
Firefly Q6 (1 min 41 sec)
Jul 11, 2016, 07:57 AM
FIREFLY Q6 Operations and designs reviews/ firefly 6s (4 min 29 sec)
Jul 11, 2016, 07:58 AM
Firefly Q6 (3 min 34 sec)
Jul 11, 2016, 07:59 AM
FIREFLY Q6 FOOTAGE (0 min 9 sec)
Jul 11, 2016, 08:00 AM
FIREFLY Q6 (2 min 39 sec)