Jul 07, 2016, 07:41 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Discussion

Spektrum AR-7000 and First GEN Spektrum DX7

Hello good people,

First to clear the Air, I have been in RC for 14 years or since 2002 and I consider myself a very knowledgeable RC hobbyist with lots of hard knock experiences.

Secondly, I am opening up this thread here since I noticed that SPEKTRUM doesn't have a listing under VENDORS here at RCGroups.

Lastly, I am looking for sound recommendations from those that are very knowledgeable with SPEKTRUM Radio gear and hopefully with the specific equipment that I am using.

Okay here is my summary (keeping it short so as not to bore):

I have the above listed equipment on-board my Hangar9 F4U-1A 50-Size Electric Corsair, hence my Avatar Picture. It has perhaps over 40+ flights with this Radio gear and up to three weeks ago has been very reliable and never experienced any ill effects.

Connections:
The AR-7000 alone with the satellite Receiver is powered by the Castle Creations PRO BEC (Dual Power Inputs). Therefore, the E-Flite 60-AMP PRO Switch mode Electronic Speed Controller is used for Brushless Motor Commutation and NOT powering up the Receiver.

I have noticed that when you activate the Model it just sits there for over one solid minute before I hear and see the model actually respond to the First GEN DX7. Yes, I have performed re-bind procedure twice and NO JOY.

The visual observations while I am waiting is the Satellite Receiver starts to flash rapidly and then, it slows down and finally I hear the tones for motor ARM and servos respond.

While I am waiting and model is still not responsive, both Receivers have a solid ORANGE light but, neither the servos nor the motor is ARMed.

It is only when the Satellite gets to flash is when I hear the final tones that the motor has been ARMed and finally servos move!

DOES ANYONE have ANY IDEAS?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2016, 07:52 PM
For the delays, no. Thanks for the unique thread - it'll make it easier for the engineers to get information they need without having to wade through tons of posts.

For the arming, absolutely!

The AR7000 receiver, like all remote-capable receivers, requires that it has signal from the minimum number of attached remotes. For some this is 0 (AR7610, AR6210, AR636) while for some it is 1, 2, or 3. The AR7000 and AR7010 happen to require one remote in addition to the base to be connected to the transmitter before sending pulses to the servos.

That is exactly what is happening here. While the base receiver may be connected, because the remote is not hearing the transmitter it will not generate pulses.

A couple questions:

a) Is the remote an original DSM2 remote? Or was it swapped out perhaps with a different one at some point?

b) Is the behavior different for bind vs. reconnect? (Bind is when you use the bind button, usually only twice in the life of a model. Reconnect is what happens when you turn the system on - transmitter first, then receiver).

c) Can you get the PID codes off the items? It's a white label with black letters and numbers.

Thanks again for the excellent post.

Andy
Jul 07, 2016, 08:03 PM
S.A.D. member
I'd first check or even straight out replace the wire between the remote and base receivers. I've had a similar issue with an AR7000 in the past which was caused by intermittent connection at one end of the wire.

Ivan
Jul 07, 2016, 09:32 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Thanks guys!

I happened to come across this thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885918

and...................

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1370887

================================================== =========

I just disconnected both ends of the Satellite Receiver and used CRC 2-26 Spray (For Electronic / Electrical Components) and reconnected the Satellite Connector to both the Satellite and Main AR-7000 and now it is connecting almost instantaneous and both receivers are Solid!

The motor Arms and Servos move right away!

Thanks so much for your post replies!
Jul 07, 2016, 10:07 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

E-Flite 60-AMP with Switch

In my situation, I have the RED wire from the ESC to the Receiver disabled since I am using (external) the Castle Creations PRO BEC.

However, for those wondering..............................

Diesel Tip: E-Flite esc on/off switch disabling (2 min 49 sec)
Jul 08, 2016, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
Thanks guys!

I happened to come across this thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885918

and...................

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1370887

================================================== =========

I just disconnected both ends of the Satellite Receiver and used CRC 2-26 Spray (For Electronic / Electrical Components) and reconnected the Satellite Connector to both the Satellite and Main AR-7000 and now it is connecting almost instantaneous and both receivers are Solid!

The motor Arms and Servos move right away!

Thanks so much for your post replies!
I would replace the cable anyway.
Jul 08, 2016, 04:47 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
I would replace the cable anyway.
I have flexed the cable and wiggled it and its rock solid.

The Receiver combo is perhaps 6 years old so, it is no wonder the contacts would get a little misty.
Jul 08, 2016, 07:06 AM
That's right. Glad to hear you resolved the problem.

I always recommend that the wire be attached to the airframe, and that it be supported about an inch away from each end so as to minimize any wear and tear on the crimp connection. On my personal stuff, I also add a dab of tool dip or liquid electrical tape to both support the wire/crimp joint and to seal it from corrosion.

Andy
Jul 08, 2016, 05:32 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
I've had similar problems with an AR6200. Not a problem with linking up slowly but flashing of the LED on the satellite. I've had luck cleaning and reseating the satellite cable. I do have replacement cables and have done that over time too. In my case I also rebound the rx after replacing or reseating the cable.

Glad Andy chimed in here as well.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Jul 08, 2016, 06:53 PM
Thermals, Tom
14 years....
Wow!
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Jul 08, 2016, 10:10 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Thanks AndyKunz and Dennis Sumner for your posts replies!

These RCGroups radio threads are great!
Jul 31, 2016, 11:35 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Follow-Up!

Like to report back!

I was able to finally fly my beloved Hangar9 F4U-1A Corsair 50-Size Electric at my RC Club and it was dead calm with of course hot conditions but, humidity was not that bad at 8:35am when I had the first flight.

For additional details then, go to:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l#post12240748

The two flights taken on Saturday, July 30th, 2016 proves that the cleaning of the Spektrum AR-7000 connectors did the trick as I didn't see any strange issues with either the Satellite Receiver nor the Main.

The model flew like it was on rails.

One must be careful where one stores the model and its best to keep the model in a climate controlled location and NOT the HOT Garage with Humid conditions.
Apr 24, 2017, 06:23 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
UPDATE:

My Hangar9 F4U-1A 50-Size Electric Corsair has performed flawlessly.

Again, thanks so much for all the help and assistance and all who came here with their time.

Carlos
Jul 14, 2020, 03:09 PM
I recently acquired a used AR7000 rx. Replaced the remote Rx wire with a new one. Flew plane several times and it seems to be working fine. On a couple of passes, the plane did an unexpected wobble but kept going after that. Low wind, should I be concerned about this Rx?
Jul 14, 2020, 10:49 PM
65 years of RC flying
The AR7000 was an extremely reliable receiver. I have several from the DSM2 days before about 2011 and still use them.

This thread tells you about the potential issue with the remote cable. I use contact clearer once in a while.

DSM2 still works well in most situations. Some possible issues in areas of heavy RF usage.

Make sure you have a real one as this was a favorite for counterfeiting.

Quick Reply