Aug 25, 2016, 05:34 AM
obsolete
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2016, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Anyone can start a new Mobius Mini Owners thread for that kind of stuff.... hint.... hint.... hint! Anyone? Anyone?

Someone did that for the M1, but any thread like that should be in this forum (aerial video) since it's the only one on this entire site having anything to do cameras used on RC models.
I would want to use it as a dashcam, would that work, you know, like the Mobius 1?

Is low light / night recording good enough?

What bothers me is the white band arond the camera, finally a smaller camera, but then flashing it with a white stripe, gone with stealthyness.....

Although Tom, in your pictures I can see a completely black unit, which one will it be when ordered??
Aug 25, 2016, 05:48 AM
Is there ANY chance on a TIMED MODE setting? Where we can set a start and end time to swith automatically to MODE 2? You know, for night recording in dashcam configuration.....
Aug 25, 2016, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkzelf View Post
I would want to use it as a dashcam, would that work, you know, like the Mobius 1?

What bothers me is the white band arond the camera, finally a smaller camera, but then flashing it with a white stripe, gone with stealthyness.....

Although Tom, in your pictures I can see a completely black unit, which one will it be when ordered??
The MM is not designed for dashcam use. It becomes much too hot for daily use without any cooling so I expect it would have a short life if used under these conditions.
Being so small means the components are cramped into the smallest space possible so there's virtually no airflow inside either. Given the fact that there will most likely never be a supercap that will fit into the battery compartment, the internal battery will also suffer from the heat. The M2 is much better suited for dashcam use. It's highly energy-efficient and therefore runs much cooler than the MM, but it's larger of course.

Although I haven't tried it, you could most probably paint the white plastic frame. But I agree with you, a black frame would look better!
Aug 25, 2016, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Mounting Options

The case bottom has 4 M1 screw studs molded into it and anchored in the heat sink inside.
I just stumbled across this in post #2 while trying do model the MM in CAD to design a mount some time in the future. The same information is given in the Mobius 2 Support Thread.
It is of course a minor detail, but I highly doubt that these are actually M1 threads. M1 is really more of a watchmaker's thread size (1 mm outer diameter of the screw thread!). I would suppose they are rather in the M2/M2.2/M2.5 range, and the pictures seem to support this assumption. Could somebody verify this by measuring the screws with a caliper?

From an engineer's perspective I also strongly support the use of a Mini USB in all of the Mobius series, because it's a lot tougher than a Micro. My buddy has already pulverized the Micro USB socket of his Runcam 2 in a crash. It doesn't take much to push it in.

I'm very interested in the B lens version. Would be great if Banggood would list those for preorder ASAP, I've got a 10% discount code that's running until the end of August.

Best regards, Frank
Aug 25, 2016, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The MM is not designed for dashcam use. It becomes much too hot for daily use without any cooling so I expect it would have a short life if used under these conditions.
Being so small means the components are cramped into the smallest space possible so there's virtually no airflow inside either. Given the fact that there will most likely never be a supercap that will fit into the battery compartment, the internal battery will also suffer from the heat. The M2 is much better suited for dashcam use. It's highly energy-efficient and therefore runs much cooler than the MM, but it's larger of course.

Although I haven't tried it, you could most probably paint the white plastic frame. But I agree with you, a black frame would look better!
Yah, Frank had a complete black one, but thats the preproduction thingie I guess?

OK, besides the heat issue, could the MM work as a dashcam, you know, function/feature wise? I mean autostart/stop, and record while charging.

And is anything known about night quality (practical and/or theoretical)?

I could screw it apart and "manufacture" some cooling vents....

Or should I pay the extra dollar and go for the M2 after all?

There aren't that many (if at all) ventholes in the M2 either....

Lot's of Q's....
Aug 25, 2016, 08:11 AM
Digital HD FPV & Goblin helis
Has anybody received the camera yet? I wonder how does the circuit board and the camera module look like without the plastic case?
Aug 25, 2016, 08:24 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
But I agree with you, a black frame would look better!
but an all white case would run cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picofly View Post
Has anybody received the camera yet?
trust me, if any of us had one, we'd have video and pics of it up!
Aug 25, 2016, 08:37 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:

The night recording is not going to be equivalent to the M2. I have not done a side by side comparison, but I estimate it's similar to the M1.

My early beta sample had a black mid-piece, which is a separate piece from the case top and bottom (it's NOT just a decorative stripe). The later beta samples came with the white piece. The screws that secure the top piece are threaded into the molded mid-piece. The screw threads can be easily striped if over-tightened, so it may be a different kind of plastic for structural reasons. I'll try to find out what's behind the color change. One thing though... when the "stealthiness" is not a key requirement, the white mid band is very helpful in visually seeing the buttons and memory card slot.
Aug 25, 2016, 08:45 AM
forward swept peg installer
I like the white stripe . I would prefer an all white version to keep heat down. I use these tiny cameras on my RC stuff... not hiding in places.
Aug 25, 2016, 08:55 AM
Quote:
The night recording is not going to be equivalent to the M2. I have not done a side by side comparison, but I estimate it's similar to the M1.

My early beta sample had a black mid-piece, which is a separate piece from the case top and bottom (it's NOT just a decorative stripe). The later beta samples came with the white piece. The screws that secure the top piece are threaded into the molded mid-piece. The screw threads can be easily striped if over-tightened, so it may be a different kind of plastic for structural reasons. I'll try to find out what's behind the color change. One thing though... when the "stealthiness" is not a key requirement, the white mid band is very helpful in visually seeing the buttons and memory card slot.
Starts to look as if I would better pay the extra dollar then.... also since I tend to open the case onmultiple occasions, don't want to crack the treads...

Oh yeah, and how about the chance on a TIMED MODE setting for M2?
Last edited by dirkzelf; Aug 25, 2016 at 09:03 AM.
Aug 25, 2016, 09:05 AM
One could always use a black permanent marker on the white lines. Or some black paint
Aug 25, 2016, 09:07 AM
forward swept peg installer
Or go the opposite way and paint it all white... which I might do . I assume Krylon paint would probably be best(after disassembly of everything of course).
Aug 25, 2016, 09:13 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmeeed View Post
I just stumbled across this in post #2 while trying do model the MM in CAD to design a mount some time in the future. The same information is given in the Mobius 2 Support Thread.
It is of course a minor detail, but I highly doubt that these are actually M1 threads. M1 is really more of a watchmaker's thread size (1 mm outer diameter of the screw thread!). I would suppose they are rather in the M2/M2.2/M2.5 range, and the pictures seem to support this assumption. Could somebody verify this by measuring the screws with a caliper?
I'm very interested in the B lens version. Would be great if Banggood would list those for preorder ASAP, I've got a 10% discount code that's running until the end of August.

Best regards, Frank
Hmmm... you're correct about the mounting piece screw thread size. I measure 1.91mm screw thread OD, so it's an M2 thread. As an engineer, I don't guess on stuff like this and don't know
where I came up with the M1 thread size I mentioned in the M2 thread! Wait! M1/M2 threads for the forum support discussions... M1/M2 threads on screw sizes! I now see I'm spending WAY too much time with thread posts!

Have you tried contacting Banggood about the discount code and the desire for the coming Lens B? Maybe they will accommodate you with a pre-order?
Aug 25, 2016, 09:32 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Comments in GREEN below.
Quote:
Yah, Frank had a complete black one, but thats the preproduction thingie I guess?

OK, besides the heat issue, could the MM work as a dashcam, you know, function/feature wise? I mean autostart/stop, and record while charging.
The Mini can record while charging, and as the list of functions states in post #2, it will can be set to start recording with external power connection. Beyond that no one here can say if there will be other functions later such as a time start/stop, delayed shut down with external power removal, etc.

There aren't that many (if at all) ventholes in the M2 either....
The video capture hardware (and heat release while processing video) is totally different between these two cameras, so you can't get any valid comparison by observing the case designs.

Quick Reply