This thread is privately moderated by slowmatch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 13, 2016, 09:28 AM
From the BARCs forum on the RES gliders, this EMC-Vega bungee set-up is very good for RES:

https://www.emc-vega.de/en/high-star...t-hlg?info=599

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic...tubing/?page=1

7.2mm OD, 4mm ID.

Shipping to NA is very expensive though.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2016, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
Oliver,
The Fresh caught my eye....I like her and she looks like she flies great. I am thinking that she will be my next build after the RESoholic. My wife is going to kill me.

Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim,

thanks for your favourable words concerning the FRESH. Whenever you finish the nice looking RESoholic, feel free to order a kit.

I will lay a red rose into the box as gift for your wife .

Cheers,
Oliver
Jul 13, 2016, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by O L L I
Hi Jon,

thanks for this thread, I've one morel ink for your YouTube list:

https://youtu.be/ww7rzF6vQo8

Best regards,
Oliver
Beautiful, it seems to have a nice balance and a well coordinated turn. The shape is very graceful and it appears to have a great sink rate. It may just be my eyes but it almost appears in the video to have a slightly less dihedral / polyhedral than some of the other RES sailplanes...
Jul 13, 2016, 12:35 PM

FRESH dihadral

Hi Ndanger,

thanks a lot. Yes the sinkrate is good. But, the flight you see on the Video is also influenced by thermals over the field.

The inner dihedral is 10° and the outer one 14°. That is comparable to most of the other RES Gliders. The SLITE e.g. has a litle less and the PURES and PicaRES a little more dihadral as the FRESH.

Regards,
Oliver
Jul 13, 2016, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Olli, thanks for the link, I've added the video to the playlist. Good to have your input here

Jon
Jul 14, 2016, 06:08 AM
Sarven Bedikoglu
www.atalarmodel.com which is located in Istanbul, Turkey.
This firm sells mostly free flight models and accessories and 2m RES Kamikaze model.

In the past, this firm had cut the Fineworx Miles laser cut balsas.

2m RES model Rookie by Recep Birol Öner who is also the drew Kamikaze(designed by Eser Kismir) and Miles (designed by Philip Kolb) kits, his own design Rookie is also cut at Atalar Model.

Besides these, you may find some nice products for building, covering etc.
You may contact with Gültekin Kalay(the owner) to place an order.
Jul 15, 2016, 05:17 PM
Looking for surgical tubing, I found this company:

http://www.grahamfield.com/Medical_P...ing.aspx?p=213

I have to believe that with their wide range of OD's and wall thicknesses, somewhere in the product line is the perfect Hi-Start rubber for 2M RES. If I only knew which one!
Jul 18, 2016, 11:49 AM
Thread OP
Had a go with the The Barge on the red Hobbyking 6mm/10m bungee and 50m line again today in very light conditions, wind about 3-5mph and very hot! I was getting less height with less wind but still around 60-70m. Bungee pinging off and down for 1 minute 20 seconds 'dead air' time.

I also measured the pull force with some fish scales. I was launching with 2-3kg of pull - 4kg would be quite a lot and should launch a heavier model easily enough. Stretched out on the ground I needed about 100m or so at 3kg.

'The Barge' is a 420g 1.5m span HiLite designed by John Steven's. It's pretty overweight so a modern 2m F3-RES at similar weight should get much better dead air times.

Over the last few days I've also flown in wind up to 20mph quite happily. Less tension is needed and launches are really quite high. No altimeter readings yet but at least 80m I'd guess.

So the red HK bungee seems perfectly adequate for sport flying with F3-RES models.
Jul 18, 2016, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi Ndanger,

thanks a lot. Yes the sinkrate is good. But, the flight you see on the Video is also influenced by thermals over the field.

The inner dihedral is 10° and the outer one 14°. That is comparable to most of the other RES Gliders. The SLITE e.g. has a litle less and the PURES and PicaRES a little more dihadral as the FRESH.

Regards,
Oliver
Olli - when you say 14° on the outer wing panel - do you mean 14° relative to the mid panel ie 24° total relative to the horizon?

Also, have you worked out Equivalent Dihedral Angle (EDA) for your design? (there's a link to an EDA calculator in post #4)

Thanks,
Jon
Jul 18, 2016, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmatch
Olli - when you say 14° on the outer wing panel - do you mean 14° relative to the mid panel ie 24° total relative to the horizon?

Also, have you worked out Equivalent Dihedral Angle (EDA) for your design? (there's a link to an EDA calculator in post #4)

Thanks,
Jon
Jon, you're right.
The correct word is "Panel Angle" for the 10° and 14° degree.
I make a drawing to show the angle. When I use the EDA calculator, I get an EDA of 9,72° (PDF attachment)

Regards,
Olli
Last edited by O L L I; Jul 18, 2016 at 02:47 PM. Reason: projected panels inserted in PDF
Jul 18, 2016, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Ok thanks Olli
Jul 18, 2016, 05:21 PM
supreme being of leisure
Quote:
Jon, you're right.
The correct word is "Panel Angle" for the 10° and 14° degree.
I make a drawing to show the angle. When I use the EDA calculator, I get an EDA of 9,72° (PDF attachment)

Regards,
Olli
in that EDA spreadsheet you are supposed to enter actual panel length and all angles are measured from horizontal NOT from the adjacent panel. it will calculate the projected span for you. note that in your first PDF the projected span is well over 2M because you entered 14 deg instead of 24 deg for the outer panels.

attached is what the EDA should look like....13 is a good number IMO.
Last edited by ZAGNUT; Jul 18, 2016 at 06:19 PM.
Jul 19, 2016, 05:47 AM

FRESH RES Glider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
in that EDA spreadsheet you are supposed to enter actual panel length and all angles are measured from horizontal NOT from the adjacent panel. it will calculate the projected span for you. note that in your first PDF the projected span is well over 2M because you entered 14 deg instead of 24 deg for the outer panels.

attached is what the EDA should look like....13 is a good number IMO.
Zagnut, thanks for explaining how to use the tool .

It seems to be good to have an EDA number arround 13. I'm very happy with the flight characteristics of the FRESH.

Cheers,
Olli
Jul 22, 2016, 12:35 AM
Thread OP
Did a still air test of the red Hobbyking 6mm/10m bungee and 50m 30lb/0.5m monofilament in zero wind conditions last night at about 8pm.

The model is my old battered and overweight HiLite 1.5m (HLG converted to bungee) flying at 420g.

I used my gps to measure extension and a fish scale to measure force.

The bungee is actually 10.5m - HK were a little generous.

At 4kg extension was 115m ie 65m of stretch so assuming 6x stretch for the tubing, although in reality the mono is stretching some too. Interestingly I got 3kg at 112m so the extra kg comes in the last 3m or so. Its obviously at almost full extension at 4kg/115m.

Launch in dead air was perfectly adequate, it's still pinging off the top so I would estimate about 70-80m (still haven't had chance to put the altimeter in it.)

Dead air times with the Barge were in the order of 2 mins 30 although I got a 3 minute in 'pleasant' air.

The video's a bit boring but for include for completeness. Release was on the third beep.

Jon

Still Air Test with The Barge - 2m Hi-Start Challenge (2 min 30 sec)
Jul 22, 2016, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmatch
Did a still air test of the red Hobbyking 6mm/10m bungee and 50m 30lb/0.5m monofilament in zero wind conditions last night at about 8pm...

At 4kg extension was 115m ie 65m of stretch so assuming 6x stretch for the tubing, although in reality the mono is stretching some too. Interestingly I got 3kg at 112m so the extra kg comes in the last 3m or so. Its obviously at almost full extension at 4kg/115m.

Jon
Is that with 10m of the HK bungee, or 15m like you are allowed by the rules? I can't see anywhere you said you spliced two pieces.

The blue HK bungee is smaller OD and ID, but seems to be stronger. It is recommended for EDFs up to 5kg, the red up to 3kg.

If you were using 10m of the red, 15m of the blue might give a better launch, with more stored energy.

Kevin

Quick Reply