This thread is privately moderated by slowmatch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 11, 2016, 04:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 7
I am curious about the airfoil used in these solid balsa wings - they look like about 6mm thick?? It's kind of like a giant chucky not to mention how incredibly light they can get.
Super six,

I'm not sure on specifics but I've seen AG04 mentioned on rc-network.de. That and AG03 would be a good starting point for a flat bottomed solid wing as found on the Apogee and Mimi and many other 1m DLG's.

In terms of pure aerodynamics you could do better than that if you are prepared to use undercambered or thinner sections, but obviously thats a structural and practicality thing.

I'm adding a design/technical discussion link list to post #4.

Jon
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2016, 09:58 AM
Yes, noticed that was suggested but also a mention that it is modified - robo translate only goes so far. I thought I noticed an undercamber in one of the pics - given that it is milled the profile would be quite accurate. Also compared AG 04-14 and most have undercamber and similar thickness but not as thin as what they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 11, 2016, 09:58 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
From one of the German sites it says that launches average 70-80M using the "spec" hi-start.

I am looking to use an upstart for quick set-up/break down so I got the 10M's of rubber from HK and will use 1.2MM braided Dyneema for the line. I am thinking the 10M of rubber with with say 30-40M of line should get me to 30-40M of launch height (?). I did buy tow rubbers so that if I want to go longer I can.

Edit*
The rules say: 14.8m HLG rubber (EMC-vega: Megarubber HLG) and 100m line. Total length unstretched 114.8m, stretched length 150m. Max force is about 3 to 3.5kg. The rubber is 7.2MM OD and 4MM ID.

Cheers,
Jim
Do not try to compare any rubber to the VEGA megarubber, it is a completly different class. really up to the job.
I prefere the bungee allround with 50m line, gives start to around 70 M with Resoholic in app. 4-5 m/sec. wind
most of the modern 2M planes does take the highstart much better than previous planes, because of the stronger materials.
Jul 11, 2016, 10:54 AM
supreme being of leisure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 7
Yes, noticed that was suggested but also a mention that it is modified - robo translate only goes so far. I thought I noticed an undercamber in one of the pics - given that it is milled the profile would be quite accurate. Also compared AG 04-14 and most have undercamber and similar thickness but not as thin as what they have.

on one of the madres threads i saw mention of a 2mm thick trailing edge....at that point what kind of airfoil is used doesn't really matter any more. thin TLARfoil with a bit of camber and it's good to go.
Jul 12, 2016, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmatch
I'm putting together a comprehensive list of RES details. Bear with me - this will be edited and added to. The German language sites have been included as google translate links.

RES Forums
Rc-network.de
Thermik-board.de

Rules
English translation of official rules

A better (human!) translation of Section 2 (the model construction details) is available here.

A rules summary:

The Model
- Limited to 2 metre wing span.
- 3- channels only, for Rudder, Elevator and Spoiler
- Construction is predominantly wood, but carbon is permitted for spars, booms and leading edges.

The Competition
Competitors have a 9 minute slot to achieve a 6 minute flight and a precision landing. Launch is by a standardised bungee.

The Bungee
The standard bungee consists of 15m of tubing and 100m line. The bungee part must have less that 4kg pull when stretched to 45m. It should be noted that the majority of F3-RES models are not designed to take a full winch launch and may well fail if this is attempted. The advantage is that a reduced strength requirement permits much lighter structures.

F3-RES Kits by Vendor

Seta-tech.de
PuRES
Slite

Modellbauservice
Baba Jaga
Baba Jaga Competition

Zeller Modellbau
AndREaS
Baba Jaga
Baba Jaga Competition
MadRES
RESolution V2
X-RES

Hyperflight (UK)
X-RES

Fraundofers
MadRES

Oliver-Flugmodellbau
FRESH

Lindinger
PicaRES

Claus Thiele Modellbau
RESi ARF version available.
(Google translate cant handle the site layout on this one)

Hollein
AndREaS, RESolution, Callistic

Ar-flugmodell.at
RESoholic

Kennedy Composites
Miles

Other models and Projects
GezoRES
AntistRES
Relaxx 2.0
RES-Dart (flying wing)
Keep-RES-Simple (classified listing)
HanoRES V-tail version
HanoRES Pod and boom Cruciform tail
SERum
GenRES

.... And where it all began the Allegro Lite, a fully winchable 2m by Mark Drela. A short kit is available from Mountain Models.

Videos
Youtube playlist of F3-RES models

*Under construction*

...much more to come but the only sensible way to do this is the edit function!

Please feel free to PM links and I'll add them.

Jon
Nice work putting together the resources of the RES planes...
Jul 12, 2016, 03:48 AM
Don't forget:

RES Wind Tunnel tests:
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/akamodell/Windkanal_RES.pdf

English:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2580779
Jul 12, 2016, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Ruben, it's there in post #4
Jul 12, 2016, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
on one of the madres threads i saw mention of a 2mm thick trailing edge....at that point what kind of airfoil is used doesn't really matter any more. thin TLARfoil with a bit of camber and it's good to go.

Agree with you there -2mm TE and 6mm or so root gives very little profile.
I believe 2mm TE is stipulated as minimum requirement in rules to keep it buildable.

Quite tempted to get this one as I am curious to see how light it flies...

Jul 12, 2016, 10:42 AM
supreme being of leisure
a lot of these models are using 1mm and thinner ply TE and even sanding that down so i doubt the thick TE on those solid wings has anything to do with rules unless there is a new sub-category for these planes.
Jul 12, 2016, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
Just had a quick session with my RE 1.5m 'Barge' (420g) to try out the Hobbyking 10m/6mm bungee. It was great fun and plenty powerful enough.

I used 50m of 0.5mm/30lb monofilament fishing line, which is also quite stretchy. Wind was 10-15mph and I was getting about 90-100m launches. Zooming off the top and the parachute pinging down under tension.

Initial impressions are that this set up would be plenty good enough for sport flying with a 2m res around 400-500g.

Testing will continue...
Jul 12, 2016, 04:17 PM

FRESH F3-RES glider after handlaunch

Hi Jon,

thanks for this thread. If it is for interest, I've one more link for your YouTube list:

FRESH nach dem Wurfstart (1 min 1 sec)

Best regards,
Oliver
Jul 12, 2016, 05:17 PM
Hi Jon,

thanks for this thread, I've one morel ink for your YouTube list:

FRESH nach dem Wurfstart (1 min 1 sec)

Best regards,
Oliver
Jul 12, 2016, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmatch
Just had a quick session with my RE 1.5m 'Barge' (420g) to try out the Hobbyking 10m/6mm bungee. It was great fun and plenty powerful enough.

I used 50m of 0.5mm/30lb monofilament fishing line, which is also quite stretchy. Wind was 10-15mph and I was getting about 90-100m launches. Zooming off the top and the parachute pinging down under tension.

Initial impressions are that this set up would be plenty good enough for sport flying with a 2m res around 400-500g.

Testing will continue...
Sounds like a great value at $3.69 if it will launch a 450 gram RES

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tart_Cord.html
Jul 12, 2016, 10:50 PM
Mike Carris and I also tried out a new hi-start this morning.

Mike obtained two different kinds of rubber from HoseMonster: 2-meter, and 2-meter Pro.

Stretching the 2-meter rubber from 15 to 45 meters and using a 100m line, we measured a tension of only about 2.5kg. The specification is around 4kg. We could obtain a tension of 4kg, but only be stretching well beyond 200%. In fact, we stretched the line to about 300%. At that tension, it was a great launch for a Pures, but.....

We then tried the 2-meter "Pro" rubber. 15 meters stretched to 45 meters gave us right at 5kg, about 20% too much tension. Also, the launch was not nearly so graceful and efficient. The tension was there, but it didn't last long, with the airplane either stalling or over-running the line and popping off.

So, we will obtain some more rubber, and keep trying.

Yours, Greg.
Jul 13, 2016, 09:21 AM
LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Quote:
Originally Posted by O L L I
Hi Jon,

thanks for this thread, I've one morel ink for your YouTube list:

https://youtu.be/ww7rzF6vQo8

Best regards,
Oliver
Oliver,
The Fresh caught my eye....I like her and she looks like she flies great. I am thinking that she will be my next build after the RESoholic. My wife is going to kill me.

Cheers,
Jim

Quick Reply