Reaktor PDB for Alien Frames - Page 34 - RC Groups
May 15, 2017, 03:01 PM
Btw, how can I use an external blackbox (like the RMRC) to adjust the quad when this PDB is in use? Is it possible?
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 10:07 PM

Reaktor PDB for Alien Frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zitus
Btw, how can I use an external blackbox (like the RMRC) to adjust the quad when this PDB is in use? Is it possible?

I saw RR's video today and had the same exact question. Does the OSD port at the back function for a data logger? Or by switching from OSD to 100% Logger in the GUI, can I pull the cable for the forward port since I won't be getting data for the OSD?
May 16, 2017, 05:58 AM
DronePlastics.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
I saw RR's video today and had the same exact question. Does the OSD port at the back function for a data logger? Or by switching from OSD to 100% Logger in the GUI, can I pull the cable for the forward port since I won't be getting data for the OSD?
Welcome to limitations of KISS FC. You can't do both OSD and data logging at the same time (something that is easily done with most other flight controllers and firmware). Making it even worse, when you unplug port2 from the OSD, you now have to find another way to power the KISS FC, typically by soldering a wire from the 10v pad to the vbatt on the FC. The TX/RX lines are connected at the flashing port on the bottom of the board, but I suspect you would get interference from the OSD.
Last edited by RBeaubien; May 16, 2017 at 06:05 AM.
May 16, 2017, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeaubien
Welcome to limitations of KISS FC. You can't do both OSD and data logging at the same time (something that is easily done with most other flight controllers and firmware). Making it even worse, when you unplug port2 from the OSD, you now have to find another way to power the KISS FC, typically by soldering a wire from the 10v pad to the vbatt on the FC. The TX/RX lines are connected at the flashing port on the bottom of the board, but I suspect you would get interference from the OSD.

So if I made a connector to the OSD jack for Tx/Rx, fed the data logger 5v from somewhere else, and switched fro OSD to Logger in the GUI, that should work without unplugging port 2? I wouldn't have an OSD for a few flights while I collected data, but for a filter check that's fine, right?
May 16, 2017, 12:57 PM
DronePlastics.com
I really doubt it would work at all. The OSD is going to be trying to communicate over that line.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that might actually work. The OSD will be tryign to communicate, but the FC wont be listening. I don't know if the data logger is 2-way communication or not. If it is, this won't work, but if only 1-way it might work. You will have to power the data logger from the 5v pads. The 5v connection in the JST-3 only gets power from the computer, it does not provide 5v there.
Last edited by RBeaubien; May 16, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
May 16, 2017, 02:13 PM
Quote:
I really doubt it would work at all. The OSD is going to be trying to communicate over that line.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that might actually work. The OSD will be tryign to communicate, but the FC wont be listening. I don't know if the data logger is 2-way communication or not. If it is, this won't work, but if only 1-way it might work. You will have to power the data logger from the 5v pads. The 5v connection in the JST-3 only gets power from the computer, it does not provide 5v there.

I may pick up one of those loggers from RMRC next time I need something from them. I'll let you know if it works.
May 17, 2017, 03:14 PM
So all was well today until my quad just dropped out of the sky. When it did, the motors started vibrating like excessive D-Gain. I also lost video and OSD. I hooked the quad up to the KISS GUI and the PIDS had all changed, including D gain jumping from about 12 to around 35. I reset them to my prior settings, but video and OSD haven't returned. All of the wires and solder joints are good. Is this what happens when the Reactor fails?
May 17, 2017, 04:09 PM
DronePlastics.com
The OSD has nothing to do with PIDs at all. The video and OSD are run from the 5v regulator. Do you see the both Blue and Green LEDs on the PDB?
May 17, 2017, 04:31 PM
Quote:
The OSD has nothing to do with PIDs at all. The video and OSD are run from the 5v regulator. Do you see the both Blue and Green LEDs on the PDB?

Green, yes. Blue, not sure. I'll check when I'm home again. Any ideas why the pids and rates would freak like that?
May 17, 2017, 04:35 PM
DronePlastics.com
Nope. the version of MWOSD shipped on the OSD doesn't support PID updating with KISS FC so I have no idea.
May 17, 2017, 05:01 PM
Bizarre. Stay tuned
May 17, 2017, 08:54 PM
Quote:

Green, yes. Blue, no 😞

May 19, 2017, 12:06 PM
DronePlastics.com
Just curious, are you running DShot?
May 19, 2017, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Just curious, are you running DShot?
I am, yes.
May 19, 2017, 05:31 PM
DronePlastics.com
Hmmm. You might try a low ESR cap on the batt pads with the new board. I've had a higher than normal number of 5v failures since the release of DShot.