Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 07, 2016, 04:10 PM
I'm interested in using these with a different frame. Can you tell me what the bolt pattern is for the outer holes please? Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2016, 11:19 PM
DronePlastics.com
47.918mm wide by 36.109mm high, 3.05mm diameter.

EDIT: To be more precise, they are on a radius of 30mm from the center point of the board at 37° above and below the horizontal plane.
Last edited by RBeaubien; Aug 07, 2016 at 11:25 PM.
Aug 11, 2016, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeaubien
Yes, the 6 pin JST connector has the 4 signal wires and 2 grounds.

I have asked one of my Alien testers to send me a pic detailing the connections to the flight controller on his Alien. I'll probably have it tonight to post here.
Did you get any pictures? I am curious on if your users used Kiss ESC's how they ran the power wires since they are opposite the Alien PDB and require crossing which is a little challenging.
Aug 15, 2016, 09:41 AM
DronePlastics.com
Here you go. Alien w/KISS ESCs. A bit dirty cause he fly's the hell out of it.
Aug 20, 2016, 04:13 AM
FPV Surfer
Is it absolutely necessary to add tape on the bottom of the PDB? Will I short something without it?
Aug 20, 2016, 05:16 AM
DronePlastics.com
I really do recommend it. As things vibrate, the likelyhood of wearing through the soldermask is pretty good after a while and unlike the stock PDB which only has a ground plane on the bottom, there is other circuitry that could short out. Liquid electrical tape works as well. At a minimum, some on/around the XT60 pads is a good idea as it is pretty close to the carbon fiber.
Aug 21, 2016, 01:42 PM
Is it compatible with Kiss ESC telemetry ?

If I understand the documentation, the JST 2 provides only 5v, so it's no longer possible to have the voltage on Kiss ?
Aug 21, 2016, 01:50 PM
DronePlastics.com
It does not have the ESC telemetry pads.

JST2 provides both 5v and battery voltage. I have started a new build and created a custom harness to connect the PDB and KISS FC with no soldering.
Aug 21, 2016, 02:15 PM
FPV Surfer
So you are not connecting the ground wire from KISS ESC? Or are you soldering them to the FC?
Aug 21, 2016, 02:35 PM
DronePlastics.com
Not connecting signal ground from ESC. If you feel you need to, you can connect it to the main ground for the ESC. There are multiple ground paths back to the flight controller and this extra wire is not needed. As soon as I get my ESCs' firmware updated, I'll have pics of that posted.
Aug 27, 2016, 10:22 AM

What is this part? (C1)

Today a part on my Reaktor PDB exploded!
One blade of a 3 blade propeller broke off mid flight which lead to huge oscillations and huge spikes on the motors. It happened with a 4S Lipo and I even have large caps on every Kiss 24 ESC as I sometimes fly 5S, but even with 4S and the caps, the voltage spikes were too much and a part of the 10V circuit exploded, as you can see in the picture.

Can you tell me what part exactly C1 is so I can replace it?
Aug 27, 2016, 11:32 AM
DronePlastics.com
That is on the 5v side. It is an input capacitor 4.7uF @50v - 1206 case. You should be able to remove the remains of it and fly without it. It tries to reduce the noise level on the input side. It should not affect the regulated outputs.

EDIT: BTW, congrats on being the first to report a part failure on one of these PDBs to me. :-)
Aug 27, 2016, 11:45 AM
DronePlastics.com
Just to clarify, it tries to keep the noise generated by the regulator out of the main power for the quad. This noise is far less noise than what is generated from the ESC, so it truly is not needed for operation.
Aug 27, 2016, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBeaubien
Just to clarify, it tries to keep the noise generated by the regulator out of the main power for the quad. This noise is far less noise than what is generated from the ESC, so it truly is not needed for operation.
You´re right, I found that also a cable was disconnected, after I reconnected it it is working again now!
Thanks for the part info, I will still replace the part as I think you probably put it there for a reason, even if its just for the peace of mind!
Aug 27, 2016, 12:34 PM
DronePlastics.com
You can replace it if it gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling, but it was part of the reference design of the regulator. We had one explode on first power up of one of the prototype boards that we never replaced. Apart from about 10mv extra noise generated on the input side there was no ill effects. If absolutely did not affect the regulated outputs at all. We even debated on not putting it on the board.