Jul 06, 2016, 11:08 AM
Delicous salad addition
Thread OP
Discussion

The moment everything "clicks" **vid added**

Ahhhhh, what a great night last night!

I'm quite new to this FPV game. Pretty new to quads period tbh. Most of my time flying has been done LOS or using Mission Planner to send my larger quad off on its own adventure and then watching the video after.

Last night, things really came together. I've been down at the park almost every night for the last 2 weeks. Most of that time, it felt like a struggle to stay in control and get the quad to do what I wanted it to do. Nervous as hell the whole time.

Last night, things clicked. Beautiful warm summer night. Almost no breeze to speak of. Stood at the edge of the field I usually use and calmly looked around and tried to decide what I wanted to do.

Got my quad in the air, slipped on my goggles and proceeded to have one hell of a flight. Set personal bests for speed, height and distance flown from myself. I flew around trees, OVER trees, hovered over bushes, punched it up into the sky and flew the perimeter of the field from a few hundred feet. And the best part? Coming down from altitude, passing in between a group of trees, flaring out into the field and flying up to myself and landing while still wearing goggles.

OMG what a rush. It was the first time I felt like I could tell the quad where I wanted to go and it did. Like I was in control and not fighting to keep it there.

Amazing experience. I must have watched that video beginning to end a half dozen times last night. If I wasn't hooked before, I sure as hell am now.
Last edited by Great Crouton; Jul 10, 2016 at 05:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2016, 11:13 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
It is great when all the required practice pays off.
Now take off with the goggles on and start flying 'through' trees.
Jul 06, 2016, 11:36 AM
I kind of felt the same way yesterday. It was almost like the quad was an extension of myself.
Jul 06, 2016, 01:33 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
Yea...FPV is kjnd of a "sublime" feeling.. It is the best part of RC flying that I enjoy the most.
Jul 06, 2016, 03:13 PM
Still tryin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Crouton
Ahhhhh, what a great night last night!

I'm quite new to this FPV game. Pretty new to quads period tbh. Most of my time flying has been done LOS or using Mission Planner to send my larger quad off on its own adventure and then watching the video after.

Last night, things really came together. I've been down at the park almost every night for the last 2 weeks. Most of that time, it felt like a struggle to stay in control and get the quad to do what I wanted it to do. Nervous as hell the whole time.

Last night, things clicked. Beautiful warm summer night. Almost no breeze to speak of. Stood at the edge of the field I usually use and calmly looked around and tried to decide what I wanted to do.

Got my quad in the air, slipped on my goggles and proceeded to have one hell of a flight. Set personal bests for speed, height and distance flown from myself. I flew around trees, OVER trees, hovered over bushes, punched it up into the sky and flew the perimeter of the field from a few hundred feet. And the best part? Coming down from altitude, passing in between a group of trees, flaring out into the field and flying up to myself and landing while still wearing goggles.

OMG what a rush. It was the first time I felt like I could tell the quad where I wanted to go and it did. Like I was in control and not fighting to keep it there.

Amazing experience. I must have watched that video beginning to end a half dozen times last night. If I wasn't hooked before, I sure as hell am now.
Lets see the video!!!
Jul 06, 2016, 06:55 PM
Video or it didn't happen..lol jk. Good stuff man...good job!!Keep it up!
Jul 06, 2016, 07:18 PM
Delicous salad addition
Thread OP
I can do that! Just need to remember how. I'll edit slightly and upload
Jul 06, 2016, 07:36 PM
I'm hoping to have that moment any month now
Jul 06, 2016, 08:36 PM
Delicous salad addition
Thread OP
Ha! Had a sneaking suspicion you'd show up in this thread, krachall And tbh, based on the threads of yours I've read, pretty sure you're ahead of me.

I still have lots of practicing to do with respects to efficient turns and such. I'm still gaining or losing too much altitude half the time. But at least now it's not all the time.
Jul 06, 2016, 09:03 PM
Hehe...I'm pretty bad but I do love reading posts from people who are learning as well. When someone "gets it" it gives me hope that I'll eventually figure it out.

Then I go watch a Steele or Skitzo video and think those guys are living with vastly different laws of physics than I am!

Now post that video!
Jul 07, 2016, 08:53 AM
If you think Steele or Skitzo defy the laws of physics, tube search QuadmovR... He just performs magic.
Jul 07, 2016, 10:36 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpitch
If you think Steele or Skitzo defy the laws of physics, tube search QuadmovR... He just performs magic.
^^^lol and he does it LOS with all black props not FPV.
Jul 08, 2016, 02:42 PM
why doesn't it ever just work?
welcome to the club. keep drinking the koolaid and keep increasing the camera angle!

you guys who aren't quite there yet, let me give you one piece of advice - drive it like you stole it!
don't be afraid to crash...hard. push yourself constantly. fly faster and lower and tighter to obstacles. toe the line of losing control constantly. my first 20 or so batteries didn't yield a lot of improvement because i was too hesitant. the next 20 showed lots of improvement and a lot of broken props. i'm still well under 100 charges, but it's amazing how much control i feel now. i'm going to have to start trying some acrobatics now, because i don't feel like i crash enough anymore. it's quite common now to fly with abandon and not crash through an entire battery.
Last edited by WickedWingman; Jul 08, 2016 at 03:07 PM.
Jul 08, 2016, 03:05 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
^^^Yep.
Jul 09, 2016, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWingman
welcome to the club. keep drinking the koolaid and keep increasing the camera angle!

you guys who aren't quite there yet, let me give you one piece of advice - drive it like you stole it!
don't be afraid to crash...hard. push yourself constantly. fly faster and lower and tighter to obstacles. toe the line of losing control constantly. my first 20 or so batteries didn't yield a lot of improvement because i was too hesitant. the next 20 showed lots of improvement and a lot of broken props. i'm still well under 100 charges, but it's amazing how much control i feel now. i'm going to have to start trying some acrobatics now, because i don't feel like i crash enough anymore. it's quite common now to fly with abandon and not crash through an entire battery.
A few days ago, I recognizedI fly far better/harder/faster on the FPV Freerider sims than I do on my real quad. Obviously, with no penalty for failure, I am trying stuff on the sim I am hesitant to try in real life.

I watched a bunch of Youtube vids of great pilots and thought "F that. I need to fly harder." So I did. And I saw myself quickly get better. But I was also crashing a bit more and noticed my fantastic QAV210 (knockoff) frame was taking a beating. So I hop on Amazon and order a spare frame. It's less than the cost of a real QAV bottom plate so why not?

So I'm out flying today and I crash HARD. Was mid-roll at about 50' when I lost control and the quad tumbled to the ground (I honestly think I ran my battery too low...only showed 9% on the charger). The quad was pretty trashed. The top plate was broken and two of the standoffs were bent. Oh well...gotta push it to get better!

I get home and my backup frame is sitting on my desk

Quick Reply