Jul 06, 2016, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Printwood revisited

July 2016 became an un expected 50th anniversary. Back in July 66, I swore to never build another print wood kit ever again. I bought a Comet cub.
All C grade balsa. Could not cut it with a knife, had to borrow my dads coping saw. weighed a ton and never flew FF. I did convert it to C/L for about a week. Even when your 12, life is too short to waste chopping balsa firewood...
So last week I got an Easy Built kit... I open it up, took in the sweet aroma of a new airplane kit and OH NO Printwood!. this time grade A contest balsa. Despite working 15 hour days on the farm I got all the parts cut out in a couple days. A real pleasure cutting quality balsa with a sharp knife. Although I would never turn down lazer cut...I was truly in the ZONE and enjoyed every minute... Robert...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2016, 12:32 PM
B for Bruce
Sometimes having something simple to focus on really can take your mind off the stress of the day. Cutting the parts out when you've got good wood and a good sharp knife can be a lovely way to set aside the worries from long days of having to haul lots of weight or worrying about crops.

So which kit is it you got?
Jul 07, 2016, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
Bruce, Almost as pleasant as casting dry flies on a glassy pond. F/F Miss Canada sr. ... Actually dry flies are just really small C/L airplanes .. Robert...
Jul 07, 2016, 11:38 AM
B for Bruce
In that case you really want to fly it if you have a nice big open field. The Miss Canada Sr is one of my favorite models in my FF rubber power fleet. It's also the oldest and most consistent performing model.

Or if you simply have no room or desire to dive into the rubber model mode of flying I suspect it could be turned into a delightful summer's evening model with one of the small 9 to 13gm motors along with some super light RC gear and a 250mah pack. The sort of model that floats by overhead with the sun glowing through the clear doped colour tissue covering while you nudge the sticks gently to ease the model over into one of the day's last light thermals while the sun shines onto the underside of the clouds while sinking into the west.

Have I got you hooked yet?

Here's a link to a thread from last year detailing some repairs I did and suggestions for modifications to the wing spars to produce a more durable model. If you go opt for light electric RC you will want to extend this to an even stronger spar setup such as a 3/16 diameter carbon tube or something similar. At least for the two inner panels. Other than that it can be light balsa all the way.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=miss+canada
Jul 08, 2016, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Way ahead of you on the RC. I might be the last man on earth who gets excited by rudder only. This airplane is a good candidate for RO setup...
Jul 08, 2016, 10:06 AM
The Junk Man
Cutting out printwood kits takes me back 60 years to a childhood where even dimes were sometimes rare. Printwood rubber kits were all I could afford and I built a metric ton of them. Almost all printwood with a few die-crushed tossed in for spice.

I STILL love a good printwood kit. Soooo relaxing to just sit and listen to Bach's violin Sonatas and Partitas or any of the piano pieces by Niccolò Paganini and slice out part after part.

I make my own printwood now. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...82&postcount=7

Tom
Jul 08, 2016, 11:27 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schuler
Way ahead of you on the RC. I might be the last man on earth who gets excited by rudder only. This airplane is a good candidate for RO setup...
It doesn't need to be a big rudder either. Just a little portion will act as enough of a trim tab to "dethermalize" the model and aid in getting back to the point of launch. Or in anything more than a moderate wind at least it'll reduce the downwind retrieval distance.

I'll be looking forward to seeing a video of this one's flight testing.
Jul 10, 2016, 07:55 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
I bought 4 printwood kits in the last year..I started with them in the 50's and ended up here again.

The original 'Scratch-built' models, they had the parts already transferred to the wood for us..yay !

The Fairchild 22 is my current project, from the Flyline kit.

I'm trying to wrap my head around electric power, but I just can't...so it'll be a dandy OS .10.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Jul 12, 2016, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
I bought 4 printwood kits in the last year..I started with them in the 50's and ended up here again.

The original 'Scratch-built' models, they had the parts already transferred to the wood for us..yay !

The Fairchild 22 is my current project, from the Flyline kit.

I'm trying to wrap my head around electric power, but I just can't...so it'll be a dandy OS .10.
I like the Fairchild 22. Actually any airplane with pendulum stability. The closest thing I built to it is the Sig 29er kit. A much smaller rubber power version of a 22.
I know what you mean about electric. We seem to instinctively know which gas engine a model takes. A 40 size plane, a 60... Doesn't work so easily with electric. Comes down to trial and error.
The full scale Fairchild 22 doesn't have any dihedral. I would add some if it were my build... R
Jul 12, 2016, 03:06 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
I like the Fairchild 22. Actually any airplane with pendulum stability. The closest thing I built to it is the Sig 29er kit. A much smaller rubber power version of a 22.
I know what you mean about electric. We seem to instinctively know which gas engine a model takes. A 40 size plane, a 60... Doesn't work so easily with electric. Comes down to trial and error.
The full scale Fairchild 22 doesn't have any dihedral. I would add some if it were my build... R
Yeppers- just for the anti-sag look....4 channel...I like to 'slip'.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Jul 12, 2016, 10:36 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Quote:
Actually, you might be surprised finding out how much a resurgence of interest there is for flying single-channel rudder-only. Being a member of the exec council for Vintage Radio Control Society, I probably should include a plug for checking out the website:

http://www.vintagercsociety.org/cms3/

as we encourage building and flying airplanes of that era. We don't encourage using leftover radio systems from that time, as they weren't all that reliable then and the passing years have not been kind to them, what with aging electronic components changing in values and ratings, corrosion in switches and pots, almost impossible to find center-loaded antennas and other parts for repairs. Some in the Society will fly the older engines, and that's cool, but electric power is a good alternative, especially considering how many older designs were intended to carry a couple pounds of "A" and "B" batteries. I have a preference for diesels, mostly for smaller airplanes.

Another consideration would be installing new, 2.4 radio guts in the old transmitter cases, and many do this, using their favorite brand of innards. But, something really cool has started in recent years.

Check out the oddly addressed:

http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/

more commonly known as Phil and Shaun's Single Channel & Vintage R/C Page. These two, located in England, have been cooking up some very interesting modifications for new radio systems so they can operate just like the R/O, Galloping Ghost, reed and early proportional systems of the Fifties through Seventies. There is a way to use an actual rubber-powered escapement with this R/O system, if you have or can find one. There is even a modeler making 3D printed RAND GG actuators and Adams-type pulse rudder actuators Check out all the headings at the page top to see what's going on. Be Sure to watch the videos--they're very cool. You can also visit:

http://singlechannellersreunited.co.uk/phpbb3/index.php

for lots more information on what's available for R/O flying. I have one of Phil's single-channel encoders in an ACE/Kraft transmitter case from the Fifties, pictures around here somewhere, using a FrSky RF module and matching receiver and a modern Hitec servo, which works very well, indeed. There are more videos on that site, as well.

At this time, my plans include visiting friends in Ireland next summer, while stealing away for a weekend in Britain so I can participate in the next PANDAS Vintage R/O meet at Pontefract. I am currently building two S/C airplanes just for that--one will be GG.

Don't worry, you're not alone as a rudder-only enthusiast.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Jul 14, 2016, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
Balsabird, great pictures. I always knew I'd find a use for my old Kraft box. Most clubs today including my own are into quad toys and 3d. As always I'm the odd man out. I like it that way. R.
Jul 15, 2016, 08:07 AM
Marion
I still have a Bonner compound escapement around here some place :-) Wish I still had my Esquire. What fun that was....

Quick Reply