Jul 06, 2016, 08:38 AM
tater salad
Thread OP
Discussion

Nitro or electronic do you prefer? And why?

I prefer nitro more then electric due to the long charge times for electric.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2016, 09:51 AM
Bash the planet!!
So you consider 30min a long charge time? I prefer electric to nitro, due to the fickle nature of the nitro engines.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jul 06, 2016, 10:00 AM
Suspended Account
electric all the way bye nitro lets see $30 a gallon v 30 a battery.. so what a charge takes 30 minutes...
Jul 06, 2016, 10:10 AM
Born again RC'er
Electric, because it works every time. Electric - $200-$300 combo and it will run nearly forever. Charge batteries at home, get to the track and run for hours.

Nitro is great, when the motor is running right. $$300-$500 motor, runs good for a few gallons, then you gotta get a new one to stay reliable? no thanks. Still need to remember to charge RX batteries at home. Plus then you get to deal with motor warm up/cool down between every run, or ruin that $400 motor.

Batteries vs fuel - probably close enough to a wash to not worry about it.

I will say - 40minute main = win for Nitro. But I won't deal will all that other stuff to get there.
Jul 06, 2016, 10:22 AM
I myself run electric but the sound of Nitro cranking is awsome.
Mr. Bob
Jul 06, 2016, 10:29 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick84
I prefer nitro more then electric due to the long charge times for electric.

Electric for me. When you have to wait for charging to finish, you need more batteries.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 06, 2016, 02:11 PM
Electric. Charge times arent that bad :P
Jul 06, 2016, 04:55 PM
Buggy in style
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
Electric, because it works every time. Electric - $200-$300 combo and it will run nearly forever. Charge batteries at home, get to the track and run for hours.

Nitro is great, when the motor is running right. $$300-$500 motor, runs good for a few gallons, then you gotta get a new one to stay reliable? no thanks. Still need to remember to charge RX batteries at home. Plus then you get to deal with motor warm up/cool down between every run, or ruin that $400 motor.

Batteries vs fuel - probably close enough to a wash to not worry about it.

I will say - 40minute main = win for Nitro. But I won't deal will all that other stuff to get there.
Lol x-maxx haters don't see it like this.

I wonder how well these weed whacker gas engines run in an RC.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Jul 06, 2016, 09:24 PM
Which do I prefer? Nitro all day, every day. The sound, the smell, the 1 hour mains... Each and every one of these things makes nitro #1 in my book.

Now, with that said, do I still run nitro? Yes, I still have three nitro monster trucks. But, I no longer race my favorite class: 1:8 nitro buggy. Why? Well these days, with brushless motors and lipo batteries, electric delivers quite a lot of performance for lower effort and lower money.
Jul 06, 2016, 10:01 PM
Electric - if I want that classic nitro sound, I'll start up my chainsaw.
Jul 06, 2016, 10:09 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
I enjoy both, but I prefer electric for its ease of use. Much easier to grab a couple charged packs and go do some running, than it is to have to fiddle with tuning, and fuel. I do love the sound and smell of some burning nitro fuel, but with todays brushless motors, and lithium batteries, electric is, fast, easy, and efficient.
Jul 06, 2016, 10:28 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
It's too bad RTR nitro engines have given people so many problems learning to tune. I went to the dark side and changed out some RTR engines with some nice Picco and Novarossi units and find them quite easy to tune and very reliable. Usually only requiring a slight tweak of the main needle to account for the climate. I've found that the pipe and header tend to make the engine - having the wrong manifold alone can make an engine impossible to tune correctly and rob considerable amounts of power. Despite having more to carry along to run a nitro, that's all I will ever run. Fuel costs me about $15 a gallon to make myself, so fuel cost doesn't bother me. I've spent more money on receiver packs than fuel in the last 2-3 years and that's only because my old receiver packs were 10 years old.

I'm all in with nitro.
Jul 07, 2016, 07:21 AM
Born again RC'er
Something else about nitro that is really annoying - Warm-ups. Not for the users, but for the E-bug guys, trying to finish the last heat, or qualifier, one minute to go, you are trying to hit that lat perfect lap while listening for positions, and the "race to the line and you are done" announcement, then suddenly -

BRAAAAAAAPAPAPAPAPAPPPPPAPAPAPAPAPPPPAAAAAAPAPA!!! !!!

C-main Nitro guys ruining the A-main E-bug finish...
Jul 07, 2016, 07:29 AM
Suspended Account
if you have to have the Nitro sound use this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1916756...&ul_noapp=true
Jul 07, 2016, 08:30 AM
tater salad
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi man
if you have to have the Nitro sound use this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1916756...&ul_noapp=true
OR just run a nitro rc. Motor sounds on a electric car is like having motor sounds on a stroller.

Quick Reply