Eager to have a RunCam Eagle? - Page 13 - RC Groups
Apr 26, 2017, 12:52 PM

Eagle long screw damage

I killed my new eagle with a long screw, duh.
Can anyone tell me what was the original value of the resistor? I'M attaching a picture with missing resistor location, right under the 6 pin chip is SOP package.

I've tried measuring it on another 🦅 but couldn't get a conclusive reading. It goes up to about 12.5KOhm when I measure it in one direction and to 15kOhm when I switch the probes.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2017, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrkiter
Hi Tombodge, I'm experiencing the exact same white out problem during quick flips with my Eagle. It doesn't happen all the time but today it actually caused a crash as like you say when it whites out you loose picture for around 1 or 2 seconds. Did you have any luck fixing it?
Hello. I didnt fix it but it has fixed its self. Mine no longer does this. Im unsure why. It could be that the seasions have changed in the UK and the light its dealing with is no longer a problem.

I also get somthing strange when i turn mine on in the house its very pink for a while and then the colours adjust themselves
May 02, 2017, 05:21 PM

Runcam Night Eagle

Runcam,

I'm very impressed with the Runcam Night Eagle in low light conditions.
However, one little issue I'm having...
I found this camera is putting out a lot of noise in the 433Mhz UHF band, so I'm limited in flying distance to less than a 5mile radius.

Dragonlink noise floor with Runcam Night Eagle on = -95db.
Dragonlink noise floor with Runcam Night Eagle off = -110db.

Anyway, here's my video using it on a "new moon" night - no moonlight.
Mini Talon - Night Rider Version (w/Night Eagle) (26 min 52 sec)
May 02, 2017, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militiaman52
Runcam,

I'm very impressed with the Runcam Night Eagle in low light conditions.
However, one little issue I'm having...
I found this camera is putting out a lot of noise in the 433Mhz UHF band, so I'm limited in flying distance to less than a 5mile radius.

Dragonlink noise floor with Runcam Night Eagle on = -95db.
Dragonlink noise floor with Runcam Night Eagle off = -110db.

Anyway, here's my video using it on a "new moon" night - no moonlight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvjkyRnR0KY
Considering the cost that is very impressive. Plus they're tough little units as well.
May 03, 2017, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klizmatron4ik
I killed my new eagle with a long screw, duh.
Can anyone tell me what was the original value of the resistor? I'M attaching a picture with missing resistor location, right under the 6 pin chip is SOP package.

I've tried measuring it on another 🦅 but couldn't get a conclusive reading. It goes up to about 12.5KOhm when I measure it in one direction and to 15kOhm when I switch the probes.
So for those interested, I've contacted RanCam support and after getting through tier 1 support I've got the information I needed. That resistor is a 15K ohm resistor in 0402 form factor. Kudos to RunCam for providing this information.

I've already replaced it an my camera is back in action, yay!
May 04, 2017, 09:20 AM

Eagle 4:3 settings with 2.1mm lens

Hey guys,
ive been so impressed with the Eagle that I ordered another one and additional 2.1mm lens to put on my other quad (now I've just gotta wait for the slow boat to bring it to the states). ive also conviced my brother to try one out and he is impressed.

Ive seen a lot of people complaining about the shimmer and pretty crappy (in my opinion) out of the box OSD settings so I decided to make a settings video and add a little flight footage as well. Hope this can help somebody out and is not completely useless LOL

I have no shimmer or white out issues and the image quality is far superior to the swift or HS1177, again that is my opinion. So for anyone who has come here to consider getting one...DO IT!

Runcam Eagle 4:3 Settings and flight footage (5 min 26 sec)
May 05, 2017, 02:17 AM
I'm copping the couple of seconds of white flash myself. usually around dusk when i do a flip that involves seeing the sky, its painful flying blind for a second while image comes back!
Short of that, pretty happy with with camera!
May 24, 2017, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klizmatron4ik
So for those interested, I've contacted RanCam support and after getting through tier 1 support I've got the information I needed. That resistor is a 15K ohm resistor in 0402 form factor. Kudos to RunCam for providing this information.

I've already replaced it an my camera is back in action, yay!
Thanks for sharing this information. Same issue here
May 24, 2017, 11:40 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
I looked at these but it seems that quite a few are having problems with them so I am looking elsewhere for a decent cam.

EDIT.. I came back after a lot of research and I have ordered one. Hope I am not disappointed.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jun 14, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
May 25, 2017, 01:57 PM
I have an eagle adn love it. It is like watchign HDTV, there is a tiny big of lag, but I fly pretty agressive frestyle and it doesnt bother me.

I am wondering how to get a slightly higher FOV. This camera seems to use a much larger sensor, so much so that if I use any other lens, i get a big fisheye because they were made to be used with the smaller CCD sensors.

Where can I pick up a lens that will get me to say a 160 degree FOV?

I am on the 16:9 camera.

Thanks!
Jun 18, 2017, 06:06 AM
I've ordered my first Eagle (4:3) from Germany in Dec. 2016.
Always hated CMOS but the Eagles image quality is so much better than with any super HAD camera, makes you laugh at the Swift series and super HAD in general.
It totally blew me away and i really don't mind the aliasing and color artefacts which you hardly notice while flying.

Ordered my second Eagle in Apr. 2017 for another quad, i was sure that i would "only" fly Eagles in the future.

About 2 weeks ago my first Eagle (from DE) started doing this:
Runcam Eagle Fail II (0 min 7 sec)

This never happened before and it is a nasty issue.
The camera goes completely black and most times recovers after about 2-5 seconds.
I'm sure it is the camera because the OSD stays on and you can see the hmdvr stopping to crop the image because the signal gets reset to ntsc as there is no signal from the camera (which is set to PAL).
I thought about voltage spikes and even though i had a 300ish capacitor at the battery leads i put a 1000 there and another 200ish at the pdb where the camera gets it's power from but it did not solve the problem.
With that issue the camera is useless.

About the same time, when i was flying at sunset, i noticed my second Eagle (from BG) has the "White out" exposure issues that some people in this thread are talking about:
Runcam Eagle Fail I (0 min 28 sec)

The exposure issues only happen at sunset, when the sun is low and when doing a flip (fast change of bright and dark images).
When the sun is higher i sometimes get a very short white flash but the camera recovers very fast.

I've got a family and kids so i don't fly very often.
This also means i don't crash that often as i don't want to spend too much time on the bench and the quads are not flying that often after all.
Both quads running the Eagles hardly ever crashed and never crashed on concrete, i always fly over meadows.

It seems like the Eagle is a very fragile camera and should not be bashed around a lot.
Also quality control and fatigue seem to be an issue with this camera.

Looking at the price tag of the Eagle about half a year ago it's a shame that so many people seem to have issues now.
BG instantly gave me a refund but i'll not get anything for the broken camera from Germany now that it's more than half a year that i bought it.

Even though i really love the image of this camera as long as it works i cannot recommend it anymore.
I'd even say stay away from it, even if they dropped the price this month.
Maybe Runcam recognised that the camera is faulty and wants to get rid of the old batch before they release a V2?
Whatever.. it's really sad.
Jun 18, 2017, 09:27 AM
Considering the new RunCam Split everyone is Gaga about (including myself) has an Eagle sensor, that's pretty tragic news.
Jun 18, 2017, 02:03 PM
DirtyWaschFPV
Hey guys , I've had my 16:9 eagle since the beginning but now I'm noticing the colors are washed out. No settings changes or crashes. It went from looking like HD to crap. Anyone had similar issues ? I've got all your other cameras RUNCAM with no issues !
Jun 18, 2017, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwasch
Hey guys , I've had my 16:9 eagle since the beginning but now I'm noticing the colors are washed out. No settings changes or crashes. It went from looking like HD to crap. Anyone had similar issues ? I've got all your other cameras RUNCAM with no issues !
Well, that's another subtle issue that i was not sure even really existed but i think it does and it has to do with white balance.
When lighting conditions are not perfect (sunset/cloudy sky) the color rendition/white balance seems to get confused quiete easily.
It gives a slightly washed out blueish look to the image.
I'm really not sure if this "evolved" during the time i used the cams but i can't remember noticing it right away when the cameras were new.
It might only be an issue under certain lighting conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AILERON8
Considering the new RunCam Split everyone is Gaga about (including myself) has an Eagle sensor, that's pretty tragic news.
The Eagle was a huge step forward in terms of image quality and it really stands out between all the super HAD CCD cameras that look the same for ages now.
It may have been too early though, or they had to rush it in the end so the final product is not as well thought out as we'd like it to be.
Still it's a shame thinking of the high price tag when the camera came out.

Regarding the Split, we can just hope that they've used the time they had until release to fix those issues, if they even knew they existed.
I'd wait at least a few months into production and see if there are any issues.
Jun 18, 2017, 04:29 PM
DirtyWaschFPV
Yep that bluish washed out is exactly what I'm experiencing. Today it was during a clear sunny day.