Jul 03, 2016, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New to RC Boats and RCing in general. ?s

Hey guys,

I am very new to RCing but am wanting to get a gas powered RC boat to have fun with on the lake. I live in rural Alabama and don't know a soul that actually has an RC boat. I was wanting gas powered for longer run times and wanting to get 30 plus MPH. My price range is under 500 and from what I've seen that may not be possible. Anyone have any suggestions or where to steer me to buy a Ready to Run boat with everything I'll need? Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2016, 12:25 PM
Pro Semi Driver
You'll have to search high and low for something very used at that price point.
Jul 03, 2016, 12:27 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Whatever you do, do not buy any of those boats like at Nitrorcx. You'll see them on ebay too. Stay far away from that crap.
Jul 03, 2016, 12:46 PM
There's a Manta Ray that was still available as of June 10th. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2637932
You can always upgrade to a Zenoah260 later,but the modded Hybrid Homelite in it will get you well over 30 mph,and you get the receiver and transmitter with it,so it's practically RTR.
Last edited by sleepwalker; Jul 03, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Jul 03, 2016, 03:41 PM
That manta ray looks like a great deal. I would jump right on that do not lose sight that the fun with homelights long before that nice one in there that ware house hobbies made is what got gas boating started.simply put it will be a very FUN boat. if it is what the seller shows in pics and what he says.
Jul 03, 2016, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys for the responses. I'm starting to figure out it's not cheap to get into for a decent hull/motor combo.
Jul 03, 2016, 09:19 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2RCBoatsAL
Thanks guys for the responses. I'm starting to figure out it's not cheap to get into for a decent hull/motor combo.
It's a bit of initial cost, but very inexpensive to run and maintain.
Jul 11, 2016, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
Whatever you do, do not buy any of those boats like at Nitrorcx. You'll see them on ebay too. Stay far away from that crap.
What would you recommend instead?
Jul 11, 2016, 06:31 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Hey guys,

I am very new to RCing but am wanting to get a gas powered RC boat to have fun with on the lake. I live in rural Alabama and don't know a soul that actually has an RC boat. I was wanting gas powered for longer run times and wanting to get 30 plus MPH. My price range is under 500 and from what I've seen that may not be possible. Anyone have any suggestions or where to steer me to buy a Ready to Run boat with everything I'll need? Thanks!
Start here for a hull. http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....78ff9e45dc7c33

you can find Homelite trimmer motors cheap to start out with. So Yes you can do it for under $500
Jul 11, 2016, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Did you ask the guy with the RTR Manta Ray if he still has it ? It's basicly ready to go have fun with and includes the transmitter. Even with shipping it would be below your $500 budget. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2637932
Jul 11, 2016, 11:17 PM
RC boat Rock Star
I know a few guys in the Huntsville area that are pretty good boaters but there's not a whole lot of racing going on there except for that site that I know of. Check www.impba.net and www.namba.com to see what's around.
$500.00 is a very hard price to hit for anything half-way decent and surely not if you have racing plans in your future. I'm afraid to tell you (and my wife!) how much I've got in my boats. There is the once in a blue moon great deal on a gas boat but rare. I do have a nice Aeromarine Sprint Cat for sale but shipping is the killer on something that big and I hate boxing boats up.
Jul 13, 2016, 04:26 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshakv
What would you recommend instead?
Look for something good used. If you want to learn on the cheap, then yes, do get a gasser from NitroRCX. It's crappy quality, however they do run good enough to get a feel for things. But they aren't worth upgrading. I had bought one back in '07 when I got back into boats. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to spend the high dollars that others at the lake had invested in their boats. What a turd it was! But, it got me back into relearning maintenance, carb tuning, and strut tuning. Had it a month, threw it into the trash, and then built up an Aeromarine avenger pro.
Jul 14, 2016, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Look for something good used. If you want to learn on the cheap, then yes, do get a gasser from NitroRCX. It's crappy quality, however they do run good enough to get a feel for things. But they aren't worth upgrading. I had bought one back in '07 when I got back into boats. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to spend the high dollars that others at the lake had invested in their boats. What a turd it was! But, it got me back into relearning maintenance, carb tuning, and strut tuning. Had it a month, threw it into the trash, and then built up an Aeromarine avenger pro.
What exactly wrong with NitroRCX boats that they last for a month?
Jul 14, 2016, 04:02 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshakv
What exactly wrong with NitroRCX boats that they last for a month?
No no, it's not that they don't last a month. I had used mine a month, then decided to build a real boat. I couldn't find anyone to buy the boat I had, so in the dumpster it went. I did save all the running gear and engine to put into a homemade rescue boat.
Last edited by Johnnysplits; Jul 15, 2016 at 05:24 AM.
Jul 14, 2016, 08:20 PM
Quote:
No no, they don't last a month. I had used mine a month, then decided to build a real boat. I couldn't find anyone to buy the boat I had, so in the dumpster it went. I did save all the running gear and engine to put into a homemade rescue boat.
Hull quality is so bad?

Quick Reply