Hobbyking Durafly Excalibur warmliner - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 02, 2016, 07:58 PM
Taranis Tyro...
New Product

Hobbyking Durafly Excalibur warmliner

IMPORTANT - The Excalibur flies great, but early run models have several structural flaws; it is highly recommended you address these areas BEFORE your first flight...
  1. Spinner/blades - The stock spinner and blades and "upgrade" 13x7 blades are all poor quality and have caused nose failures resulting in total loss of the model. Bin them and replace with Aeronaut spinner and Cam blades (12x9, 12x10 or 12.5x9 - whichever is available should be fine).
  2. Firewall - This was weak on early Excaliburs, again causing nose failures (especially if the very aggressive ESC brake is enabled). Seemingly now addressed by HK in in the latest models, but check yours before flying and reinforce with a GF/carbon/plywood disk if in doubt (dimensions/template here).
  3. Rear fuselage - Has failed after a few gentle landing because the rear air vents are a weak point. Reinforce with carbon strip and CA.

Jan 2016 - Setup for OpenTX transmitters uploaded to the RCSettings website

14th Sept 2016 - Launch day! Available in PNF (~128 at Int'l, ~150 everywhere else) and kit (~89 Int'l, 105 elsewhere).

Durafly Excalibur 1600mm Performance Glider - Hobbyking Promo (2 min 36 sec)

Durafly Excalibur High Performance 1600mm V-Tail Glider (PNF) - HobbyKing Daily (6 min 37 sec)

Durafly Excalibur High Performance 1600mm V-Tail Glider - Product Profile - HobbyKing Live (24 min 56 sec)

Purchase link for PNF, kit and spare parts - all warehouses

PDF manual posted by Stuart

Update 13th Sept - Spare parts become available and the plane briefly appears on the Int'l warehouse for order at ~119. Some early reviews/demo flights are also emerging on Youtube...

Durafly Excalibur Review | Flite Test (9 min 33 sec)

Durafly Excalibur flight video (10 min 46 sec)

Magic Hour with the Durafly Excalibur (5 min 1 sec)

Update 23rd Aug 2016 - RCGroups review and video published including first extended flight footage and technical details:

HobbyKing Durafly Excalibur Warmliner Review (8 min 4 sec)

"The Durafly Excalibur is a great looking new sport warmliner from HobbyKing. It features a 1600mm wingspan, a V-tail design and a serious spar structure for high speed flying. It comes with a 3542 800Kv outrunner motor and a 60A Aerostar ESC matched with a 13x7 or 13x8 carbon fiber prop. Add your own 4S 1800-2200mAH lipo, and get ready to have a blast."

Update 3rd July 2016 - Announcement Daily published:

Durafly Excalibur - HobbyKing Announcement Daily (2 min 2 sec)

Looks like HK has a new warmliner coming under the Durafly brand - an updated Dynamic-S (ST Blaze) maybe? A bit of screen grab detective work indicates it will be called the Excalibur...

Weekly Update Ep 19 HobbyKing Live (5 min 38 sec)
Last edited by MattyB; May 22, 2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Changed prop recommendation (wrong sizes stated)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2016, 06:47 AM
Subbed
Jul 04, 2016, 04:07 AM
Durafly Excalibur - HobbyKing Announcement Daily (2 min 2 sec)
Jul 04, 2016, 06:08 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Thanks mopetista, have added that video to post 1 for reference...

PS - Do you still ever fly your HK Spad? Had mine out at the weekend after a long layoff, still flew great on 2S after all your lightening tips!
Last edited by MattyB; Jul 04, 2016 at 06:28 AM.
Jul 04, 2016, 11:24 AM
My head in the clouds!
Looks good!
Jul 04, 2016, 07:01 PM
.....and that's why I crashed
Like it! not just a rebadged ST Blaze at least (as far as I can tell). Can't wait for more reports. Suspect this could be another long thread soon
Jul 05, 2016, 04:43 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Watching that announcement video again it seems to have quite a bit of forward sweep - that gives the illusion of anhedral, but from the side it looks dead flat. That FSW should give it good slow speed handling though. I wonder what powertrain they will fit; my money is on the 3S option being ditched and this being 4S or more only.
Last edited by MattyB; Jul 05, 2016 at 10:01 AM.
Jul 05, 2016, 09:06 AM
aRCee Moloko [YT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
Watching that announcement video again it seems to have quite a bit of forward sweep - that gives the illusion of anhedral, but edge on it looks dead flat. That FSW should give it good slow speed handling though. I wonder what powertrain they will fit; my money is on the 3S option being ditched and this being 4S or more only.
Maybe they used the same power train as the EFX Racer. That would make sense I think?

Always have been interested in the MPX Blizzard, but this one looks to be very nice. Might need some space in the hanger when this comes out.

Jul 05, 2016, 09:59 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
Maybe they used the same power train as the EFX Racer. That would make sense I think?
Maybe, but that prop looks a smidge bigger than 5" to me - maybe more like a 7-8"? From the flight footage in the weekly update video it doesn't seem like it has that distinctive EFX "neeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" as it goes by either, which is probably a good thing!
Jul 05, 2016, 11:12 AM
aRCee Moloko [YT]
You are right, should have a lower kv motor.

I don't have the EFX myself, so was not aware it has just a 5" prop.
Jul 05, 2016, 12:17 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Yep, as sold they have a 2300Kv motor and supply a 5x5 prop for 4S and a 6x5 if you are running 3S. I fly mine on 4S, but it is a pain to hand launch yourself as there is not a lot of acceleration at low speed on that small, pitchy prop.
Jul 05, 2016, 12:45 PM
aRCee Moloko [YT]
Quote:
Yep, as sold they have a 2300Kv motor and supply a 5x5 prop for 4S and a 6x5 if you are running 3S. I fly mine on 4S, but it is a pain to hand launch yourself as there is not a lot of acceleration at low speed on that small, pitchy prop.
Yeah I have the same with hand launching the Dogfighter. Found out it works best to give it a lot of power, and than let it go almost straight up. It will roll, but at least your high above the ground. So you have time to correct it.

As in this video, but a bit more power would have been better:

DogFighter - WarHead (6 min 12 sec)

The EFX is also still on my list of wanna haves.. just to many planes in the hangar..
Jul 05, 2016, 03:15 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Great plane! With that Dogfighter in your hangar I would not bother with an EFX - making it any quicker than that would be expensive and pretty hard work.
Jul 05, 2016, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Watching that announcement video again it seems to have quite a bit of forward sweep - that gives the illusion of anhedral, but from the side it looks dead flat. That FSW should give it good slow speed handling though. I wonder what powertrain they will fit; my money is on the 3S option being ditched and this being 4S or more only.

I think the forward sweep is an optical illusion. Spar placement would be a nightmare. On a foamie no less.

I would bet on 4s power train as its being billed as a warmliner.

Wonder if it will slope? If they keep the weight down it might work.

--Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 06, 2016, 01:03 AM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
Forward sweep is no trick of the eye And for any other questions, I'll be able to reveal more in the coming weeks.

S.