Jul 01, 2016, 06:23 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Discussion

ARRMA 1/8 Kraton 6S BLX Brushless 4WD RTR

I went looking for information on this and found about zilch so... I'll share what I know for the next guy.
I fell victim to a Tower ad and that I'd been thinking about getting a 1/8 basher for a while. (I'm mostly a plane guy but have an occasional whim.) Seemed like a pretty good deal. $459 with free 2nd day air shipping (that had to cost them) and a bonus coupon for $60 off when I got to the page.
Mine arrived today and have played with it a little bit. Enough to run one 4s pack through it. (Way too hot outside in Florida right now).

The shipping box (and product box inside) are huge and it's pretty heavy as well. UPS treated it accordingly. Despite the somewhat crumpled package the car was unharmed.

After making up an adapter to plug my 5.5 mm bullets into the XT 90 plug on the ESC and binding the radio called my buddy Dave since I'd mentioned it to him before buying and he said he'd like to see it when I got it. I figured his front yard would be better than the pavement where I live so went to visit him for it's "maiden".
We took turns tearing up his yard for a while and he suggested putting his GPS in it and running the pavement to see what it would do on 4s. I made a few good passes with it and we were guessing it to be around 40. After pulling back in we found his GPS was not working. Tinkered with the settings in it and tried again. No reading. So, we ran it around his yard some more but after about 10 hot laps decided that was starting to do a bit of damage to his lawn. Took the body off to unhook the battery and it wasn't even warm. Motor was a little warm but could easily pass the 5 second touch test. Dave tested the suspension on it a couple of times too by taking it across the paved road in front of his house and trying to jump it into his yard with a (short) full speed run . Suspension seems to be pretty decent on it. His 1/10 scale will actually get some air doing that. This one just sort of plowed right on through it like it was a bump.

After getting back to my place and cooling down for a while (It was hot even with his shade tree) I checked the battery voltage and the cells were still showing around 3.87 to 3.9 v. So... I rounded up my GPS and went outside to brave the heat again. My paved driveway is only about 150 or maybe 175 feet long so I couldn't get a good run to let the GPS catch up. (Glad this thing has good brakes, too )
On a very old and "well used" pack (at the end of a run cycle) it clocked 30 with my Garmin. Three speed runs and the best I could get was 30.4 mph. I made several more laps with it trying to pull the battery down some more . (GPS showed moving time of 5:25 minutes) This time the battery was as warm as the motor. Neither was uncomfortable to the touch.

That's all I got so far. 1st impression is a good one. Didn't get around to shooting any photos yet but will try to get some in here tomorrow. If there are any specific shots you'd like to see, let me know.
Edit: I should have thought and included a link to the manual. http://manuals.hobbico.com/ara/arad81-manual.pdf
Last edited by bill34207; Jul 01, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2016, 04:42 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Took the Kraton with me to SRQ field early this morning and took advantage of the 500 foot paved runway for a couple of passes. Still only came up with 35.8 mph on a fully charged (but old and weak) 4s pack. I think that driving on an "off road" track with turns and jumps it's still plenty fast on 4s. 6s would most likely just go up in more wheel spin as it will break them loose on 4.

Took a couple of photos to show the GPS reading then made the mistake of taking it out into the grass to run the battery down lower without wearing the tires. Made a few laps and brought it in the check it. Rear axles were pretty much invisible
Latest blog entry: Current Health Conditions
Jul 02, 2016, 04:51 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
I ran across this video on YouTube earlier today. He may have been running 6s but I'd say using a lot of throttle management.

ARRMA Kraton Truggy First Running Video on 6S Stock (6 min 26 sec)
Jul 03, 2016, 12:38 AM
On 6S you'll easily hit 50-55mph, and with the additional gear installed, you should hit the 60-65mph range. And the motor still has plenty of power even with the bigger gear.

My only Arrma is a Typhon, but at some point I'll probably pick up either a Kraton or whatever comes next after the Nero. I really wanted a Nero, but I'm hoping for something that has more of a what I would consider a true MT suspension, like the Basher Nitro Circus.
Jul 03, 2016, 11:32 AM
-S-
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
Good info thanks, I successfully held back when I saw that Tower Ad :-) very tempting though!

I'll stay tuned and see how it goes, thanks for the post!

-S
Last edited by -S-; Jul 03, 2016 at 05:14 PM.
Jul 03, 2016, 03:47 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
I'll add an update that the ESC doesn't quite comprehend 5s use. I decided to try one (all my 6s packs are too big to fit) and it did not work out. I made one pass with it (hit 39.4 mph) and them it went into LVC mode and would only run about 10 mph. Put a 4s back in and all was good again.
I checked the battery after getting home and it's a good one. I think the ESC thought it had a 6s pack and it had hit the bottom of the voltage stack.
Jul 03, 2016, 08:32 PM
I've run my Typhon with 2x2S, 2x3S and 1x6S, and the blx180 handled them all fine.

Unfortunately, the one time I tried the 6S battery was a complete disaster. And entirely my fault - the car was fine. I hit something at ~50mph. Tore the entire rear shocktower free, broke almost everything plastic and the backend, and had enough lateral motion that the 6S battery got an enormous gouge in the side from the spur gear.

Last time I'll ever spend that much on a single battery.
Jul 04, 2016, 07:12 AM
Buggy in style
I noticed there is quite a bit of flex of the center diff mount.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Jul 04, 2016, 12:45 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignusfast
On 6S you'll easily hit 50-55mph, and with the additional gear installed, you should hit the 60-65mph range. And the motor still has plenty of power even with the bigger gear.
My GPS may be a little on the stingy side. I charged up a 6s pack today even if it doesn't fit all that great. Still only came up with 48.2 mph.

With 6 plus minutes of running and almost 2 miles covered it did pretty good on battery used though. All cells still above 3.9v at rest and it still had plenty of punch accelerating when I gave up and came back home to the A/C.

As a side note the motor would not pass a 5 second touch test. Wish I'd thought and brought my temp gun along to check it.
Jul 04, 2016, 04:24 PM
Hey Bill,
It sure looked like it was faster than that to me on 4 S. I was guessing 40-45. I bet it was a hand full on 6 S for sure. I think the GPS may be a tad off Thanks for shearing.
Jul 05, 2016, 09:24 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
Are you running the stock 12t pinion? Speed sounds about right for that gear. Does the new version still come with a spare 14t pinion? If so, swap that one in for more speed.

I love my Kraton (and my Talion). Mine have the old red ESC and motor. New version is supposed to be better ESC and more powerful motor. I was strongly tempted to update my truck from that sale...
Jul 05, 2016, 05:13 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Thread OP
Thanks Jerry. I checked through the bag of goodies that came with it today and did find the bigger pinion gear although I doubt if I'll change it out.
If I were looking for high speeds I'd be tempted. I really don't see where gearing it up would gain any advantage on an off road course. though. Unless, that is, it was laid out with insanely long & smooth straightaways.
Jul 06, 2016, 02:19 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
One thing the 14t will give you is more wheel speed when jumping. More wheel speed = better control.

I've never run my truck with the 12t, so I don't really know how big of a difference it is. But I really like the speeds and acceleration I get with the 14. Motor get a bit warm, but still safe. Mine is the old red motor.
Jul 06, 2016, 03:48 PM
Bill I could not resist also and picked 1 up from tower my self last week. I joined there super saver club for $10 as you get better coupon codes and 2 free issues of rc car action. I ended up using a $75 off $475 coupon so I ended up getting a charge cable and few other small things I needed. Unfortunately I noticed all 3 diffs leaking upon arrival so its going to take me some time to get everything apart and sorted before I can run it. Also a few screws were installed improperly at the factory causing some binding and stripping but nothing I cant fix. It def looks like a beast of a truck , I cant wait to run it , I got a 4s and 5s pack and now after hearing what you said I am regretting the 5s , I hope it works. I have a question , Can you turn your front wheels by hand easy ? mine will not turn by hand , I took the stock wheels off and it I still cant turn it by hand , its like the servo is stuck in position but will turn fine fine when powered on. I heard that's how they are designed but am wondering if yours is like that also. I also heard a hobbywing program card may work to tune the new esc's in the kraton.
Jul 06, 2016, 04:46 PM
Buggy in style
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
One thing the 14t will give you is more wheel speed when jumping. More wheel speed = better control.

I've never run my truck with the 12t, so I don't really know how big of a difference it is. But I really like the speeds and acceleration I get with the 14. Motor get a bit warm, but still safe. Mine is the old red motor.
It depends. You also want enough acceleration to clear jumps. But this is a Kraton, doubt you will see it races very often.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply