Jul 01, 2016, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine proDVR, the HMDVR killer ? (in early construction)

EDIT 10/11/16: A new firmware fixes the PAL cropping bug (attached below)

INTRODUCTION

After the popular success of the HMDVR, a compact and powerfull DVR module recording videos up to 720p resolution, here is the Eachine proDVR largely inspired from the HMDVR module. We will see if the main problem of the HMDVR is solved with the Eachine module, i.e. PAL's sources are cropped especially at bottom part of videos. It can be a problem for any FPV system including important OSD informations.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Eachine proDVR
+ 1 x JST-SH 6p w/ JST & servo plug
+ 1 x JST-SH 4p w/ RCA audio & video plugs
+ 1 x JST-SH 6p DIY
+ 2 x JST-SH 4p DIY
+ 2 x Double side tape pieces
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English)

OVERVIEW

3 ports with respectively a ,6p and two 4p JST SH connectors. The left one permits to control 3 menu buttons, the central one allow powering, input the video & audio signals. The right one represents the DVR Avout, useful to display the proDVR menu and select options.

The microSD slot can accept a microSD card up to 32G (format FAT32)

Cables

Two groups of cable:

i) JST+servo & RCA... The servo plug is often used with GoPro/action cam . RCA is a good choice to expert the proDVR OSD on a FPV monitor

ii) DIY cables. Let you to select how to interface the proDVR with your FVP ring

All plugs are JST-SH 1mm of pitch

Disassembling

3 screws to open the DVR

Two chips populate the board: a TI5150M1 and the D8M041A1-1549

No sign to any Voltage regulator ... so be aware, and power this module always with a +5V... (from a BEC, a Step down regulator). Don't power this module from a 2S-3S for example.

UNBOXING & QUICK TESTING

Eachine proDVR unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy Banggood) (14 min 56 sec)

Unfortunatly, only the VGA resolution can be selected (in fact the selection of D1 and HD résolutions seem to not be saved correctly)

No 30fps as promised but only 25....

Video illustrating the PAL sources cropping (like the HMDVR)

Eachine proDVR vs Aomway HD518 recordings with a PAL source (Courtesy Banggood) (0 min 31 sec)

Few lines are cropped on top but most at bottom part. The HMDVR but is still here .... Damned ...

CONCLUSIONS

With the current state of the firmware, the promised bugfree HMDVR version is in practice even more buggy. Not only the PAL'bug is still here, but it's not possible to record in D1 or HD. Only VGA file format is currently allowed. Probably a futur firmware will solve the last problem. (maybe the HMDVR last firmware can be installed).. but now we can raise doubt that the PAL bug will be solved too one day. It's disapointing because, the proDVR comes with a nice bundle of cables very useful.

PROS

+ Cheaper than the HMDVR
+ More cables provided
+ Great videos recording with a constant 25fps
+ Controlable K1,K2,K3 menu buttons

CONS

- Can't record (D1 or HD) format (firmware buggy) Fixed with firware
- Still cropping PAL flux (few lines on top, most at bottom part)
- 25fps and not 30fps as promised
- No builtin voltage regulator. Need to carefully input +5V only

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thank them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 18USD at http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-ProDVR-Pro-DVR-Mini-Video-Audio-Recorder-for-FPV-Multicopters-p-1061196.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Oct 11, 2016 at 02:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2016, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
reserved
Jul 02, 2016, 07:13 AM
Leo
Will run it on ntsc and see how it goes. Will update.
Jul 02, 2016, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydrone
Will run it on ntsc and see how it goes. Will update.
Main probably like the HMDVR
Aug 09, 2016, 07:20 PM
to live and let fly!!
got my Prodvr today, when I went to update it. it stopped working??? I get video just no osd for the recording? also the red light is not on? but I can get video output? anyway of resetting it??
Aug 16, 2016, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flyguy
got my Prodvr today, when I went to update it. it stopped working??? I get video just no osd for the recording? also the red light is not on? but I can get video output? anyway of resetting it??
You need to reflash serial memory chip with some sort of programmer (requires advanced skills).
Note that we dont have serial flash firmware dump, so this method is not available yet.
Read more here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...682952&page=34
Sep 15, 2016, 09:12 AM
Installed on quad and running through lc filter fixed noise production from this but now i can't figure out the wiring so i can stop and start recording with my tx. Tried enabling servo out on naze pin 1 on the esc rail to control with trainer switch but there is always a signal getting sent so it stops and starts over and over. Anyone know a solution to this?
Last edited by Wossuup; Oct 09, 2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: New problem. Old 1 fixed
Sep 22, 2016, 09:59 AM
I recently installed the Eachine Pro DVR to my modified Quanum V1 goggles, to aid in recovering lost quad copters by reviewing the flight footage overlaid with GPS information on the OSD display. It works great, but I have one issue.

I have it wired so that Video_In is split off the Video_Out that goes to the LCD display on the goggles, coming from the Video_Out of my FR632 receiver. That way I'm not lagged by trying to fly through the Video_Out of the DVR.

But, I can switch to display Video_Out from the DVR to my goggles display by swapping the Video_In lead with the Video_Out lead. I used some spare 2mm bullet connectors I had laying around to do this.

So, I am able to get the OSD from the DVR on my goggles and access the settings, and also play back recordings in the field, if I need to track a downed model. Works good, and the video quality is decent enough for this purpose.

Only problem is that part of the playback OSD obscurs vital information from my FPV OSD. The GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) were being cropped in half at the top of my display. So, I had to use the layout editor in the MWOSD 1.6 GUI to reposition the latitude and longitude fields down a few lines. The only place I can put them without interfering with another field is down three lines, just above the side bars. Now the longitude is obscured by the file time display on the playback OSD of the DVR.

Can the playback OSD be turned off while viewing a video?
Sep 22, 2016, 11:27 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Use the new firmware in the Eachine prodvr thread it fixes the Pal cropping issue , but no i dont think you can remove the timer.
Sep 22, 2016, 05:01 PM
My FPV camera is NTSC, and that's what I have the DVR set to. It's not the DVR that's chopping the top line of my OSD in half (where latitude and longitude would display by default), it's the LCD I'm using in my modified Quanum V1 goggles. I had to move the GPS coordinates down a few lines even before I got the DVR installed.

Maybe I can make a firmware request that they make it so the playback OSD turns off a few seconds after the playback begins. Or maybe add an option where you can turn it off and on with a click of one of the buttons or something.

I might have to load a smaller font using the MWOSD 1.6 GUI to my Micro MinimOSD...that might squeeze the top line in enough to make it legible.
Sep 22, 2016, 08:34 PM
Nevermind...solved my own problem

Because my GPS coordinates were cropped in half from the top line on my goggles screen, I assumed the DVR recording would be the same. I put the coordinates back at the top where they were by default, and then recorded some test video.

The top line is cropped a little bit when the recording is played back in the goggles, but all the numbers are fully legible, and not blocked by the DVR playback OSD.

When I take the SD card out and put it in my PC, the entire top line is fully in view, though right up against the edge of the screen. So, I'm able to get GPS coordinates in the field via my goggles, or at home on the PC. I'm happy

I got the DX Extreme 800*480 LCD to upgrade my V1 Quanum goggles with, and mounted it on the end of the foam box, rather than inside in the slot, so as to gain more focal length to counter my presbyopia and focus better. I think I may have covered a few lines of the top of the screen by not getting it perfectly centered. May have to tear off the duct tape and hot glue and redo it...but I'm able to get the GPS coordinates on DVR playback...don't really need them to fly by.
Sep 23, 2016, 11:45 AM
Hi I'm having a problem with my new Pro DVR unit. I may just be missing something obvious so please tell me if I am!

Problem is that it won't record.

I plug the middle plug in to the unit, all the wires are connected to the appropriate input, vcc, ground,video_in, audio_in etc.
The camera is definitely giving a video feed and the pro dvr is powered up as its red led is on.

When I press record, ( > ) nothing happens. The light stays stable. Put the SD card in the computer and no recordings have been made.

I've tried all the buttons.
I've tried different SD cards,including freshly formatted to fat32.
I've tried two different cameras, one action cam directly connected and also the video feed from some goggles (followed the V008 mod videos,no bec - on the videos unit worked fine at this voltage )
The goggles powered the dvr with 3.5v and with the camera I used a 1s lipo Nanotech 750ma at 3.85v
I have not attempted to flash the firmware.
I haven't got anything to take the video out from the dvr to see its OSD.

My friend who is a quad reviewer tried to get it to work and we searched all over the Web without finding this problem reported anywhere.

Do you think the unit was delivered faulty or are we missing something? !

Any help appreciated!
Oct 10, 2016, 10:34 AM
Having the same issue as mentioned above, record button does not seem to do anything when pressed.

Anyone know if this is an issue fixed with new firmware, or maybe another SD card?

Would love to get this little guy up and running!
Oct 12, 2016, 08:33 PM
How many people notice a lag in the video when recording? Im pretty pissed about that. I may just split the video going out and just rely on the red LED to tell me its recording.
Oct 26, 2016, 11:08 AM
Hi SebyDocky,
Do you know if this new firmware compatible with HMDVR. I want to fix my PAL cropping.
Thanks for all your great test !

Quick Reply