Jul 01, 2016, 12:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Are Skyline planes or Goldwing ARF brand planes junk, or worth a try?

Hi all,
I am asking if these two brands are junk or not because I was in the marker to get a 30cc size plane. I was really wanting an Extreme Flight RC, or 3D Hobby Shop or even a Goldwing plane. I am finding out that these brands which I preferred are not in stock.

The Skyline and Goldwing ARF brands seam to be available and the guy I spoke to at General Hobbies told me that the SKYLINE plane was the same construction as the Goldwing plane I ordered but much cheaper. His words, not mine.

So, now for a background of my situation. I ordered a Goldwing Extra 330 from General Hobbies. I got an email stating that the color scheme I ordered is not in stock and that the color scheme "C" was the only one available. The guy even gave my a $25 discount if I chose to accept the plane in the different scheme. I accepted and waited for my plane to arrive. Then I get another email from them telling me that the shipping manager informed his that all of the Goldwing Extras were out of stock. Thats when he told me that I could get the same exact plane, same exact construction but in the SKYLINE brand instead. Then he said its about half the price as well. I declined and the refunded my money. All this was going on while I was in a severly limited Wi-Fi area so emails a nd internet were almost impossible to get at the time.

As I mentioned, Extreme Fligh was my first choice (from word of mouth only, not from my experience), but most of the models were out of stock. Then to top it all off, shipping to Indiana was about $150. I couldn't believe that it cost that much to ship a few states over. Oh well.

OK so help me figure this stuff out.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2016, 05:51 PM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
I have a couple of General Hobbies Skyline planes. They fly very well for the money. But know that you get what you pay for! They take some work and know how to get these airworthy....extremely light! Extreme Flight is incredible! Their planes fly like no other, simply the best IMO. I have no exp. with Goldwing, but heard of some disgruntled owners here on the forums.
Kurt.
Jul 01, 2016, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
That's good to know.
Thanks
Jul 01, 2016, 07:55 PM
I've flown both and have been happy with them. Generally, when you see somebody writing about an issue with either, it has more to do with support than the plane. As with most typical Chinese marketing, customer support is generally lacking.

Unfortunately, some people need a lot of hand holding, and for those these planes will likely disappoint.
Jul 02, 2016, 05:19 PM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
I would agree with the lack of support. Both my Skylines came without manuals. One came without a canopy latch the other was missing alot of hardware and servo cutouts for aft elevator. Thus the comment that it will take some doing and know how to get these up. If this was one of your first ARF's to build, it could be quite an undertaking to build without a manual. My club flies alot of these and all had issues of some sort. Like I said, they fly great when sorted out.
Jul 03, 2016, 11:36 PM
I run a Skyline Sbach 342 70 from general hobbys, the plane is light but built well. The only thing I could find time and again (for this model) was the landing gear. Mine came off about the third flight. But once repaired I've had no problems with it since. Yes it did not come with the manual but they can be found on-line easily.
Jul 04, 2016, 07:09 AM
Lately, the Chinese (Goldwing, Skyline, and Peak/SDS)are using these little 3" CD's for directions. I think many saying they aren't getting them are looking for a full size CD, or a manual of some type, and discarding the CD. They're so poor they aren't worth much at all, even when you get/find them. Anyway, anyone that's built several ARF's will likely not even reference the directions.
Jul 06, 2016, 09:54 PM
I just finished a Skyline Corvus 70E. I had to re-glue most of the fuselage, re-cut 80% of the hinge slots, straighten all of the control surfaces and mod the landing gear block. I also replaced the 2-56 hardware with 4-40 Dubro ball links and threaded rod. The tail wheel assembly was sketchy so I used a Sullivan from my spares box. The ply, sheeting and covering are a grade below what you would find in a high end kit.

That being said I'm impressed with the way it flies. I would rather spend extra for a well known brand but if I was constrained by my budget I would do it again.
Jul 08, 2016, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
For myself, I would prefer to pay a bit more and get away from having to put lots of time and effort into fixing a brand new plane. Just my opinion though. I am great full for all of the replies.
Mark
Jul 09, 2016, 03:54 PM
I have built a few goldwing models, they are pretty good, EF manuals are pretty poor as well, not that you need the manual to build one but they could be much better, there is very little setup info and old pictures for current models.
Jul 09, 2016, 04:46 PM
I like real well for the price.
Like any arf it needs to be bashed. I fuel proof with thinned epoxy the tank area. I apply thin ca to all exposed plywood to prevent delaminating. I fiberglass the motor box and front and rear landing gear formers. I also beef up the motor box area where every necessary.
I've also replaced some of the hardware with du bro
I love my 73 inch MX's I feel there as good as the EF and 3DHS but better looking.
I have a DLE 30 on my MX and it pulls it like a rag doll
She will lock into a hover almost effortlessly. Talk about the prettiest flattest flat spin, nice and floaty. Both upright and inverted.
Death slides are a thing of beauty
Elevators there is some wing rock but experience will help you counter act that with some cross coupling on the rudder/aileron. Of course I really don't mind the rock. It's not bad and looks kind of cool
I just retired one MX after 5 years and got another one.
Jul 09, 2016, 05:43 PM
I had the mx2 88" was a really good model
Sep 10, 2016, 08:08 PM
I just got an MXS-R from Peak, which I believe is the same as the Skyline one. There's one tiny area on the fuselage where the clear part of the covering has separated from the color, but other than that it looks great. The instructions are generally applicable to all their models, but so far I've had no problems adapting them to the MXS.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Sep 12, 2016, 12:17 PM
I liked my sbach so much that I have purchased the MXS-R 70e also. Will reinforce the landing gear first this time around.
Sep 14, 2016, 12:33 AM
Fly on Goldwing su26m 50cc v2, stunning plane! Here Forum assembly process photos http://www.fasprim.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=3355

Flight Video:
GoldWing Su-26m DLE-61CC 10/09/2016 (60FPS) (2 min 34 sec)

Next buy a plane Yak-55M 100cc from Goldwing!

Quick Reply