Jun 30, 2016, 12:48 PM
You brought two too many.
Thread OP
Discussion

What's good beginner boat for saltwater

I'm looking at RC sailing around Puget Sound which is a salty sea. Is there a boat that's especially suitable? maybe under $200 and can handle some waves. I imagine they might have to be modded a bit for extra waterproofing.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2016, 01:07 PM
At that price point, the Dragon Force 65 comes to mind. Not a lot of mods to do...... make some sticky back Dacron patches to seal under deck access holes (use the ones that come with it as pattern, or you can buy them from a retailer.). The boat sails well and price includes an entry level radio transmitter. Rinse with fresh water after sailing in the salty stuff. and keep the rudder post well lubricated. Visit the DF65 threads here on this forum to read up about the boat - as well as tips posted by current owners sailing in other than fresh waters.
Jun 30, 2016, 02:29 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Lots of sailors in and around the Seattle area. Go to the club functions & see what they have ( other than the high$$ IOM's)

http://www.theamya.org/clubs/#WA
Jun 30, 2016, 03:25 PM
Same answer as a good beginner boat for freshwater.

All your answers are here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2649744
Jul 01, 2016, 10:30 AM
Boomer1
Welcome to a really terrific past time/hobby. This forum is a terrific place to learn! I speak from experience - I've been following this forum for nearly ten years. Started with very little understanding of Radio Sailing. Now I'm addicted to it. Several dozen boats later, and I am still lovin it!
Enjoy!
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 01, 2016 at 12:13 PM.
Jul 01, 2016, 11:01 AM
Boomer1
FlopGun,
There are numerous discussions on boat selections on this forum that provide many solid recommendations. Your question suggests you are aware of the problems sea water brings with it, so I am going presume you understand the importance of washing the salt water off the boat and it's components after each outing.

You mentioned the potential need for additional steps be taken for insuring the boat is really water tight. This is very insightful for a new sailor. Good start for sure.

Dick has shared his suggestion and touched on precautions to take to insure or limit water intrusion into the boat. Most of us will agree with him. The another suggestions are all viable and worthy of your attention.

As you will learn the hatch openings on these boat are not really 100% water tight without some kind of extra steps being taken.

Your budget is limiting your options. The DF 65 (25.8" long )has a big brother which a larger boat DF 95 (37.4 " long)- yep it's more money, but is more likely to be more suited to the ocean than it's smaller little brother. They both do well in high wind conditions , but size does have it's advantages

KEY FACT - Having the right sails for the conditions is critical for any boat - big winds means smaller sails. So whatever boat you choose be sure you get "storm" sails, typically referred to a "B" and "C" sails. Either DF boat offer sail options. A good contact is Chuck at Dragon Sailing at radiosailing.net he can answer any questions you may have on these boats and their accessories.

There is an excellent alternative to consider and priced at about $ 200.00 The Nirvana ll is a time tested boat at 32" long. These boats are of the most water tight offered - they have a "Tupperware" style hatch cover plus a 2nd outer cover to boot. You can read about them and their current status at sailrc.com They sell them there and on e-bay for $199.00

There are other boats that are worthy of you consideration. Boats like the CR 914 Truly amazing boats in rough water -sold in kits or ready to sail, Micro Magic a small boat that sails like a 1 meter comes as kit or Ready to sail. Another very popular boat is the Seawind 1 meter at $349.00 Ready to sail on Ebay and Amazon.

These are all good choices. There are others but these should get you started. Doing your own research will be very helpful. There are discussions on all of these boats on this forum. If you have questions on any or all of the boats - just post them and the guys will provide answers.

An informed buyer is the best buyer!
Boomer
Ops forgot Tippecanoe boats sold as kits.
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 02, 2016 at 01:05 PM.
Jul 01, 2016, 05:11 PM
Kimo
I'm surprised that someone hasn't said something about the T37 kit from Tippecanoe Boats as they have a large following in the Seattle area yacht clubs. Contact Will at Tippecanoe and he will be happy to help. True it is a kit and needs to be made and runs about $350 with everything included even the radio and servos. We have 2 as well as a T50MID. Check out their web site and there are a lot of owners pictures loaded. There is also a thread on this site about Tippecanoe Boats.
We sail in a salt water pond and as it has been said we wash the boats after each outing and replace the rudder shaft lube. We also sail the DF65 with no problems.
Jul 03, 2016, 04:16 PM
Kimo
Not sure if you brought anything yet but Dragon North American just posted a sale on the Dragon Force 65 with priced of $124 for a plug and play boat or $148 for a rtr boat.
Jul 04, 2016, 11:41 AM
You brought two too many.
Thread OP
Hi sailors, thanks for all the help with this, I got a lot of good info.

So I think I will probably go with the DF65 for starters. Couple questions:

Visibility with the black hull -- problem? paint the hull?

Problems at sea. How often with mishaps where you have to get in real boat to retrieve?

Buy another set of sails? Maybe without the dragon on it.

Any other accessories I should buy from DF?
Jul 04, 2016, 12:29 PM
You can paint the hull, any color you like - and you can also purchase a second hull which are now available in white. A lot of these are sailing with black hulls and stock sails.

Seldom need a big chase boat. ....... if: 1) make sure patches are covering all hull openings 2) the drain plus is securely inserted 3) You remember to have charged your batteries 4) all sheet lines and rudder push rod are connected and knots tight. 5) watch out for weed patches and shallow water, rocks or tree branches under water

You can purchase a complete set A-B - & C size sails from third party. Change out to smaller size as wind increases. You can also make your own - since they are single panel sails and have no seams. Lots of info on making them. Check the class website to assure you are making them to right size. Mylar, Clear florist wrap, ripstop nylon 3/4 oz coated, are just a few materials that have been used successfully by owners. Have fun. Register your boat with the US RG65 Class and get a sail number. Even on the "dragon" graphic sails you can letter your sail making it a bit easier to tell it apart from other stock sails.

Class association web page to register and get a sail number: http://www.rg65usa.org/
Jul 04, 2016, 01:33 PM
Boomer1
Dick
You made no mention of bringing enough adult beverages to share after sailing activities. I have yet to hang out with boaters that didn't like a ration of Rum or other tasty brews after a day on the water

The white DF 65's have not yet arrived yet according to a very reliable source (Chuck)

Happy Independence Day!
Jul 04, 2016, 02:04 PM
Before you do anything you really owe it to yourself to check out the local clubs, meet some people and see what they are sailing. It is the best piece of advice I ever was given. Fact is, no matter how good a boat you purchase, whether you want to race or not, its much better to be sailing with a group than by yourself. There is nothing better for example than to have another person walk you through tuning and set up. And local knowledge is always the best, no matter how helpful the interwebs can be. Finally, if you ever get the urge to race you really should buy the boat that is already established in your area. Much harder to start from scratch than participate in an already existing club.
Jul 04, 2016, 02:09 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett View Post
Before you do anything you really owe it to yourself to check out the local clubs, meet some people and see what they are sailing. It is the best piece of advice I ever was given. Fact is, no matter how good a boat you purchase, whether you want to race or not, its much better to be sailing with a group than by yourself. There is nothing better for example than to have another person walk you through tuning and set up. And local knowledge is always the best, no matter how helpful the interwebs can be. Finally, if you ever get the urge to race you really should buy the boat that is already established in your area. Much harder to start from scratch than participate in an already existing club.
There are six clubs in Washington, one in the Seatle area.

http://www.theamya.org/clubs/#WA
Jul 04, 2016, 04:47 PM
Will fly for food
The PNW has very active sailing groups. Some sail the Victoria, others sail the T37 and still others sail the Soling 1M. The biggest group is the IOM sailors. We have regatta every other Saturday at either Lake Washington at Coulon Park or at Surprise Lake in Milton. We usually have 15 to 25 boats show and we all have a blast. Really a great group of guys. There is a web site that has all the schedules and info as to where and when we sail at http://www.ibextrax.com/

If you like to build with wood the T37 is the boat for you. If you don't like to race I would get the DF95. Its a great newcomer to the RC sailboat scene and well worth the $$$$. IMHO the DF or RG 65 is just a little small for me. If you like to race with others there is lots of opportunity here in the PNW
Jul 28, 2016, 02:59 AM

HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht best value for money for Beginners or Pros'

Best value for money beginers boat that is good for all conditions is in salt or freshwater is the HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht, it is a fraction of the cost of it's nearest competitors, it is RG65 class legal and comes with two sets of sails one for heavy weather and one for light weather.

The HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht is now available in all HobbyKing Warehouses

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...earch=Affinity

Quick Reply