Aug 29, 2004, 11:22 AM
Thread OP

EVO craps out; "No RF"

What a bummer it is to see that message.

I opened the rig up and looked inside for obvious out of place things. Pulled and re-installed the RF Board. Pulled and replaced the antenna lead plug.

Nada.

This came from Tower on March 31 2004. Should I bother with them or get in contact with Ernie the Mpx tech?

Or has this happened to someone else and what did you do about it?

Thanks for any and all tips/responses.

Steve (no HLG for you today) Syrotiak
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2004, 03:44 PM
Live for speed
Dangit Steve, you too? My 2nd RF module died on Friday, 5 weeks after the 1st one died. I am thinking of switching over to a crystal'ed RF stage. Maybe it will last longer. Hitec did repace the 1st one very quickly.

- Felix
Aug 30, 2004, 01:49 PM
I have two Evo 12's that do the same thing. A very repeatable problem. I'm running the 1.26b software on them. If I change the frequency without changing the model first it will happen everytime. Always gets me panicing until I realize what I did. Powering up and changing the frequency back to what it was before the error always fixes the problem for me.

My routine now is to power up holding the wrench key and change the model. Power off then on holding the wrench key and select the channel. Power off and back on and let it go through that silly 30 second warning screen. Works everytime.
Aug 30, 2004, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55340
My routine now is to power up holding the wrench key and change the model ...
sure about this???? I do not need to do this to change the model....
Aug 30, 2004, 03:52 PM
No, you don't have to hold the wrench key to change the model. I just do it to keep it from transmitting. Even though I have the pins for the channels I fly on while I'm at the field, I just do it as an added safety. Guess my theory is one less thing while others are flying.
Aug 30, 2004, 06:11 PM
Closed Account
What N55340 says. I have the same thing happening with my EVO 9. If I change the plane first, no problem. If I change the channel first, no RF. If I pay attention, no big deal.

ronw
Aug 30, 2004, 06:17 PM
Thread OP

Here's what happened. Moot, cuz it's on the way to Poway

I don't recall the V. I changed the freq, then changed models. No problemo. Made adjustments (copy) for new plane. All was well. Shut down and did something else. Next day, flipped on the tx, bingo! No RF.

Called Poway and asked if they just wanted the RF module. Naw, sez they, send the whole thing. So, it should be there tomorrow afternoon. God!, I hope they don't lose the programming for 18-20 planes...

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55340
I have two Evo 12's that do the same thing. A very repeatable problem. I'm running the 1.26b software on them. If I change the frequency without changing the model first it will happen everytime. Always gets me panicing until I realize what I did. Powering up and changing the frequency back to what it was before the error always fixes the problem for me.

My routine now is to power up holding the wrench key and change the model. Power off then on holding the wrench key and select the channel. Power off and back on and let it go through that silly 30 second warning screen. Works everytime.
Aug 30, 2004, 11:33 PM
Eh!
I wonder when the recall is coming?? Seems a lot of EVO RF problems popping up.

I have yet to put mine into service. I want to put it to hard use on a small cheap plane before I let it near my big ones. Even then, I'm not so sure now. Hmmm.

Sure would like to hear some feedback from Germany about the RF problem.
Aug 31, 2004, 12:25 AM
In my case is has to be some sort of software problem with the way I set up my radios. Don't think everyone experiences the same thing or maybe they do and assume it is a hardware issue.

I've got 3 Evo 12's. Two synth. and one crystalized. I've been using the radios almost exclusively for the past 8 months or so, trying to wean myself away from my 8U's and 9C's. They have been rock solid other than the added "no RF feature" I described in the eariler post. Maybe the next software release if they ever get it finished will resolve my issue.
Aug 31, 2004, 06:39 AM
Live for speed
N55340 -

Are you seeing the 'No RF" issue with your crystal'ed set as well?

- Felix
Aug 31, 2004, 08:31 AM
No, I'm not seeing it with the crystalized set. I really wouldn't expect to since I believe the problem relates to changing the channel.
Aug 31, 2004, 09:50 AM
Eh!
I wonder if it has anything to do with the Shift select on the "b" software. ??

Is anyone else having the NO RF problem running a shift select version of the software?
Aug 31, 2004, 10:19 AM
Out of Time
Having acquired the ver1.26b software and a data cable BEFORE I even got my EVO12/synth at the beginning of this year, I installed the shift-select "b" software the same day I got the radio.
Never had a "No RF" occurance and in fact have never had any anomalies of any sort.
(Dang, too much Star Trek.) Of course, I'm always careful to make sure that my Dilythium Crystals are fully functional before I activate the disgronificator and begin transmission.

Edit: Note that I'm using mostly Futaba neg. shift receivers but also have and use a couple of Hitec pos. shift and a Polk's Seeker whatever shift it sees.

Highflight
Last edited by Highflight; Aug 31, 2004 at 12:12 PM.
Aug 31, 2004, 10:34 AM
Eh!
Are you running negative shift recievers? Or maybe a mix of both? Just thinking of possibilities here. It would be interesting to run a vote of many different setups that people who have had the issue with to see if there is any commonality.
Aug 31, 2004, 11:28 AM
I use a mix of both negative and positive shift receivers. Come to think about it, my crystalized Evo is still running the 1.26 software since I bought all new multiplex receivers to go with it.

Quick Reply