Jun 28, 2016, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

180mm FlexRC Owl quad tuning HELP!

I have finally completed the build of my FlexRC Owl quad. The FPV view is great, the transmit and receive is working. But the issue I am having is when I put the throttle to full the quad only flys about a foot off the ground. Please see the video for reference.

180mm FlexRC Owl FPV mini-quad tuning - needs help! (1 min 29 sec)

Here is a complete list of the build items.
FlexRC 118mm Owl frame
DALProp T3045 3" tri-blade props
DYS BX1306-4000KV motors
DYS BL20A Mini 20A BLHeli ESC OPTO
AcroNaze32 Rev6 FC
Standard PDB
Camera... VTX... RX... blah... blah...

I attached images of the build and also the current PIDs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Krunch22; Jun 28, 2016 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Wrong quad size
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2016, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
**bump**
Jun 28, 2016, 11:03 AM
Have you calibrated the esc's? Looks like you also need to set min and max throttle,thats a pretty short throttle range.

Basic setting for min throttle would be the minimum amount of throttle it takes to spin the motors. Not all motors will spin at same throttle setting,so use the highest of the four.
max throttle can be set to 1950 to start, but may require additional adjustment if full throttle gives rapid oscillation that doesnt tune out.
Jun 28, 2016, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvS1
Have you calibrated the esc's? Looks like you also need to set min and max throttle,thats a pretty short throttle range.

Basic setting for min throttle would be the minimum amount of throttle it takes to spin the motors. Not all motors will spin at same throttle setting,so use the highest of the four.
max throttle can be set to 1950 to start, but may require additional adjustment if full throttle gives rapid oscillation that doesnt tune out.
Yes I calibrated the ESC's. I will try adjusting the throttle settings and get back to you.

Thank you.
Jun 28, 2016, 11:51 AM
Also, What are the specs on the battery you are running?
Jun 28, 2016, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Also, What are the specs on the battery you are running?
I thought I posted that... ooops.

Turnigy 3S 1.3 Mah
Jun 28, 2016, 12:13 PM
That seems a bit large for a 118mm quad, whats the discharge rating on that battery?

I run a 130mm quad with 1306 motors,it uses an 850mah 3s with a 60c rating. I believe you should be running something similar on your quad. Flexrc lists a 900mah and a 1050mah as suggested batteries for the owl.
Jun 28, 2016, 12:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
That seems a bit large for a 118mm quad, whats the discharge rating on that battery?

I run a 130mm quad with 1306 motors,it uses an 850mah 3s with a 60c rating. I believe you should be running something similar on your quad. Flexrc lists a 900mah and a 1050mah as suggested batteries for the owl.
I tried the 3S 950mah and I had the same result.

The discharge rate on the 1.3 is 45c-90c.
Jun 28, 2016, 12:37 PM
Ok, just watched the vid(doh) It's not going to be a throttle issue, you are achieving good rpm.

As far as motor rotation and prop direction you have it as motor 1 and 4 are counterclockwise and 2 and 3 are clockwise?

Have you checked to see if the props are free spinning under the nut? Thats a real high rpm and not very much surface to tighten the props down.
Jun 28, 2016, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Ok, just watched the vid(doh) It's not going to be a throttle issue, you are achieving good rpm.

As far as motor rotation and prop direction you have it as motor 1 and 4 are counterclockwise and 2 and 3 are clockwise?

Have you checked to see if the props are free spinning under the nut? Thats a real high rpm and not very much surface to tighten the props down.
The props are TIGHT! just checked. I also thought it might be the rotation so I checked that also. It's all good...
Jun 28, 2016, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Here is a follow-up to adjusting the throttle, it now gets higher... I modified the throttle to the following:

min 1050
mid 1500
max 2000

My question is do each of those values represent rpm's or kv? If so then the mid and max need to be raised significantly. Also the recommended batteries are (11.1 / .9A) or (14.8 / 1.0A).

Here are the motor specs according to the DYS site (SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM FOR 4000KV).
http://www.dys.hk/ProductShow.asp?ID=115

Specifications:
KV................................................ .................................................. ............4000
Configu ration............................................ ........................................NP
Stator Diameter.......................................... ..........................................13mm
Stator Length............................................ ..............................................6.0m m
Shaft Diameter.......................................... .............................................M5
Motor Dimensions(Dia.*Len).............................. .................Φ1815.1mm
Weight (g)............................................... .................................................. ..12g
No.of Cells(Lipo)....................................... ..............................................3-4S
Max Continuous current(A)........................................ ....................10.7A
Max Continuous Power(W).......................................... .................158.4W
Internal resistance........................................ ......................................0.15Ω
Jun 28, 2016, 01:18 PM
Throttle range doesn't represent kilovolts or rpm. It is simply telling the fcb where the low, mid and high range are in a range of 1000 to 2000.

I am at a loss...in the video it looks like the props are upside down and not developing enough thrust. The pics look like the props are all on correctly though....
Jun 28, 2016, 01:24 PM
Weigh the quadcopter and post back. I would guess it weighs somewhere around 300-400g. The setup you have should have no problem of lifting that load. The motors do not sound right to me. I'm not sure you have the throttle range set correctly. Bump range up to 2000 and make small increments upward from there.

I run a 180 size quad with 3s 1500mah packs no problem...So battery should not be an issue.
Jun 28, 2016, 01:26 PM
Sorry posted while you were posting...Alsothought you could go as high as 2200 on throttle setting....Could be wrong though...
Jun 28, 2016, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
weight with 3s battery is about 350g.

Quick Reply