Jul 03, 2016, 10:06 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarikAgcayazi
Wait.. so can hobbyking just steal designs like that?

or did the original designers sell them the idea?
See post #7 above...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2016, 09:09 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
More likely hobbyking will compensate the original intellectual property holder once called on it, but there seems to be a "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" approach to this, based on handling of several situations.
Jul 04, 2016, 10:17 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
More likely hobbyking will compensate the original intellectual property holder once called on it, but there seems to be a "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" approach to this, based on handling of several situations.
That's BS.
  1. It's not their (the RCG plan authors/publishers) IP to begin with...they took the inspiration, shape, and performance from the Multiplex Funjet and it's stated right in the thread title.
  2. They put their plans up on the internet for free. How can the not-really-original intellectual proper holder expect to be compensated for something they've already given away for free? The precedence has already been set that they don't want compensation.

HK took ALL of the risk...they put their money into into it, manufactured it, marketed it and shipped it.
Last edited by T3chDad; Jul 04, 2016 at 10:30 AM.
Jul 04, 2016, 11:27 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad
That's BS.
  1. It's not their (the RCG plan authors/publishers) IP to begin with...they took the inspiration, shape, and performance from the Multiplex Funjet and it's stated right in the thread title.
  2. They put their plans up on the internet for free. How can the not-really-original intellectual proper holder expect to be compensated for something they've already given away for free? The precedence has already been set that they don't want compensation.

HK took ALL of the risk...they put their money into into it, manufactured it, marketed it and shipped it.
Unlikely to get commercial use squeezed into the definition of fair use. Seems HK at least is paying attention to optics and image even in cases where they may be able to brazen it out on purely legal grounds.

And go talk to Model Aero about HK and the Polaris Ultra or Radical RC and their field box/tool stands and get back to me. There's a long history of cloning from RCG and directly from competitors.

The good news is HK is acknowledging and working with designers, which puts them far above a lot of China based companies in terms of ethical practices.
Jul 04, 2016, 12:20 PM
Andre Rousseau
Just built my first one. Can't wait to test fly it.
Jul 05, 2016, 04:12 AM
Speed is Key
Pretty cool .

I wanna get one and fpv it
Jul 05, 2016, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad

What makes you say that? I don't think so...but we'll see soon. If anything, it'll just need another CF spar. Oh....and....challenge accepted!
The fact that I've held the foam board in my hands!

Its simply not stiff enough to get any decent speed.
I suspect it will be prone to wing flutter.
Jul 05, 2016, 04:08 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
What foam are they using?

Also,
a great many of these designs are "stolen" from planes from MUCH earlier than what are around, 50's-80's. realistically they are almost all off shoots from another plane at one point.
Jul 06, 2016, 11:46 AM
Zen in the art of foam
Out of stock :-(
Jul 06, 2016, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarikAgcayazi
Wait.. so can hobbyking just steal designs like that?

or did the original designers sell them the idea?
Go back thru the 1000's of designs that have been presented in the last 5 decades and you'll see tons of "stealing", or you can call it "improvement modification", or "refinement".

Simplest lineage to observe is the Daddy Rabbit/Sun-Fli/Kaos/Ultra-Sport.

As radios and powerplant configurations improved, along with the introduction of new building materials, old ideas have been constantly re-presented to create a better mouse-trap.

It's been going on... and will continue to do so forever.
Jul 06, 2016, 04:52 PM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
I just received mine. Here are some initial observations:
  • RattleSnake is correct. The foam is floppy. Not EPP floppy, but much more floppy than Depron, $Tree foam and even cell foam from Hobby Lobby (the craft store).
  • Throw out the CF wing spar tube that comes with the kit...it's completely inadequate. The one that was in my kit was already split more than half of the length . I had a thick wall .310" CF tube that I had in my stock that I replaced it with. This has made the wing every bit as strong and stiff as my Deltastorms', so I am proceeding with speed demon plans.
  • It looks to be a very easy and quick build. While the instructions call for shoe goo type foam glue, I've been using foam-safe CA and hot glue and that should be completely sufficient.
  • With the exception of the CF tube, the hardware that comes with the kit is good. CF strips are used as spars the same way I've been using them for years. The slits they go in are pre-cut...nice.
  • The control surfaces are pre-cut and are meant to be flown as-is without hinges or tape according to the manual. One of the tailerons was already detached on my kit, so I opted for Blenderm hinges. I would not fly this model without reinforcing the control surface connection point.
  • Instructions are well pictured and logical. While text is Chinglish, there's really not much of it. It's pretty much a picture book.

More as my build progresses...
Latest blog entry: Having Fun!!!
Jul 07, 2016, 09:07 AM
What motor are you all using with this kit? I ordered a 2211 2300kv (recommended 2208-2212)and it looks way too small for this plane.

Joe
Jul 07, 2016, 11:32 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyocafe
What motor are you all using with this kit? I ordered a 2211 2300kv (recommended 2208-2212)and it looks way too small for this plane.

Joe
E-Flight Six 2700kv turning a 6x5.5P, 50A ESC with juice provided by a Pulse 2250mAh 3S 45C pack. (probably all WAY too much)

I'm becoming more disappointed with the kit as I progress. The laser cutting is very shoddy with important tabs actually not being present on one of the fuse sides (pics). There's also what appear to be double cuts or missed cuts along some of the fuse edges. This left foam strips the thickness of the fuse walls attached that interfere with alignment and gluing. They were easy to trim with an xacto and a #11 blade. I'm not done with my build yet, but my current opinion is torn. Is it worth the $29 shipped to my door? I value my time pretty high. Did this kit save me $29 worth of time and effort to print the plans from the original thread, cutting the parts out, and getting/making the hardware needed? I don't know yet. The main reason being is that if you go through the trouble with the plans and do everything yourself, you will end-up with a VASTLY superior end result.

I'll keep you posted of my progress...
Latest blog entry: Having Fun!!!
Jul 07, 2016, 11:52 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Mine showed up yesterday, haven't even opened the box, have a starmax mustang exploded all over the bench.

Motors I'm considering tossing on this:
Suppo 2208/8 2600kv
NTM 2700kv
Blue Wonder 3000kv
Turnigy 2826 2200kv

props somewhere in the 6x4 to 4.74 x 4.75 range
Jul 07, 2016, 09:28 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Hi Guys,
Glad to get to this thread. I was one of the developers of this "original" model, if we can call it that. Here's the back story. Prime_8 designed and built the initial design, Kronikpilot further refined it with the box fuselage concept and hand drawn plans, and I published CAD generated refined plans for him. As with all the plans I publish, there is a "not for commercial use" clause printed on them.

Anyway, just received my kit today. While the foam is not real rigid, it does feel durable. More durable than Depron. I do like the surface finish and texture of the foam though. It's got kind of a plastic like finish on it.

The only think I'm not liking is the main spar mounted on the lower surface of the wing rather than embedded in the foam. They've kept this model relatively light, which will make for good flying on moderate power. A 1700 kv 24g blue wonder style motor would power this just fine on 3s with a 7x6 prop. A 2208 1800 Kv with the same prop would make it aggressive. I'm going to run a Turnigy 2826/6 2200Kv with a 30A esc and 6x4 propeller on 3 and 4s. I've used this combo on my XRaycer pushing it to near 90 mph on 4s. May have to limit to 3s for structural reasons.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jul 08, 2016 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply