Oct 05, 2016, 06:19 PM
DavidsPlanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaywood
It will also let you use a core material to get a really stiff structure without the weight of extra cloth.
Jeff,

1/16" balsa for example? Or would 1/32" be sufficient?

How does glass cloth compare price and weight wise to equivalent stiffness balsa? In other words, does the layup cost more with a balsa core or all glass?

David
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2016, 06:52 PM
I do not have any data weight wise. You could do the math out to figure out a raw weight. We have used light 1/32 in lieu of one layer 6oz cloth, maybe 2 layers, behind the wing on warbirds. It is much stiffer and it allows you to reduce or even eliminate formers from the wing to the stab.
The fuse in the pic is a 1/4.5 Scale Me109, 86" wingspan. It only weighed 3lbs and 3 oz with almost 7 oz being lost when the bellypan is cut out. The front of the fuse has some extra layers of cloth to help absorb vibration and to help hold the 2-3 pounds of lead that it takes to make CG.
1mm Rohacell is lighter and marginally stiffer, but $$$.
Oct 05, 2016, 07:01 PM
www.rcmissouri.com
Jeff,

My weights stay very consistent fuselage to fuselage now doing conventional lay ups. I can only imagine what possibilities vacuum bagging will bring to the table.

Leo
Ballistic Aircraft Co, LLC
Oct 05, 2016, 09:28 PM
Scott
Leo
Vacuum bagging will not only remove excess resin (which is not much judging by the parts of yours I have), but will also compress the matrix. This actually increases stiffness with the same fabric layup. 1mm core material adds an incredible amount of stiffness for the weight.

Oh yeh, where the hell are my wings??? I sent you the plots and dimensions almost 3 hours ago.................

Scott
Oct 06, 2016, 03:29 PM
And I thought my wife had no patience.
Oct 07, 2016, 09:25 AM
Scott
Trixie is a beautiful, loving, understanding young lady.

You on the other hand............
Oct 07, 2016, 09:30 AM
Yea, she only married me for my big........................airplane.
Oct 08, 2016, 04:32 PM
www.rcmissouri.com
Scott,

Working on your wing and made a modification to the mold for future pulls that I will go into via email. Have a good weekend.

Leo
Oct 10, 2016, 05:57 PM
Scott
How about now, are they done yet??????
Oct 10, 2016, 06:18 PM
www.rcmissouri.com
Scott,

Getting close. Check your email.

Leo
Oct 10, 2016, 06:55 PM
Nice to see you are doing other airplanes Leo. Any interest in kitting a very competitive warbird race plane?
Oct 10, 2016, 07:24 PM
www.rcmissouri.com
exf3bguy,

Sure, PM so we can discuss.

Leo
Oct 17, 2016, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Man this has been a crazy busy day back to work. Good thing I had a great relaxing weekend.

So one of the things I got to do is visit Ballistic Aircraft Company again. When I showed up Leo's he was working on making a mold. He started at 0700 and finished at 1500 to give you an idea how long he worked on this. That thing looked like it would be able to a hundred thousand airplanes.

While I was there I was able to pick up some awesome balsa for the Brushfire. The sheeting was differently contest grade. This was top quality.

And of course I picked up a few pints of Klass Kote epoxy paint.

I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about the Brushfire.
Oct 17, 2016, 03:18 PM
www.rcmissouri.com
Ralph,

It was great to see you. The first half of the mold turned out great. Another 8 hours for the second half and it will be finished. It should allow for many pulls.

Leo
Oct 27, 2016, 02:28 PM
www.rcmissouri.com
Guys,

I tried to contact Jim Graham the former owner of R/C City Florida and was told he passed away back in March. I had not seen any posts about Jim's passing so I wanted to let everyone know.

Leo
Ballistic Aircraft Company, LLC

Quick Reply