Jun 27, 2016, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What's a safe time to leave your lipo fully charged?

what is a safe time to store your battery after you fully charged it? does a few days do anny harm?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2016, 01:39 PM
That's a lot like asking how many packs of cigarettes you can smoke before it affects your health.

The wear incurred is cumulative, the degradation is gradual, a few days now and then probably won't be noticeable but it adds up. Also it's potentially dangerous to store them fully charged, if a pack is damaged or defective and a fault occurs a fully charged pack is chock full of energy which can be dumped rather spectacularly.
Jun 27, 2016, 02:09 PM
See "Similar Threads" listed below. Scroll down the page a little and you'll see them.
Jun 28, 2016, 10:53 AM
Wandering IT geek
I'll save you the searching and offer up 1-2 days. Any more and I'd suggest discharging them to storage voltage.

There really is no "safe" time though. If you follow my advice and lose a cell remember that before hunting me down with a pitchfork
Jun 28, 2016, 10:57 AM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
i'll save you the searching and offer up 1-2 days. Any more and i'd suggest discharging them to storage voltage.
+1.
Jul 02, 2016, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
I'll save you the searching and offer up 1-2 days. Any more and I'd suggest discharging them to storage voltage.

There really is no "safe" time though. If you follow my advice and lose a cell remember that before hunting me down with a pitchfork
thank you
Jul 03, 2016, 02:42 AM
I usually leave my batteries fully charged for 3 days maximum. If I have not used the battery or have plans to do so, I discharge it by connecting it to LED's.
Jul 03, 2016, 09:39 AM
the exception might be depending what the lipo is for. for example, i use a 2s lipo just for fbl unit and servos and that has actually been fully charged for about 3 years. after several flights i just charge it up to full. the 6s motor packs i keep at storage voltage until flight.
Jul 03, 2016, 09:48 AM
Suspended Account
none you never store a fully charged lipo..irresponsible to all!
Jul 03, 2016, 11:04 AM
ive found that the higher the c rating the worse it is to leave charged , i was looking through some stuff and found a lipo i used for my fishfinder in a small boat , was accidently left charged since 2011 , was down to 4.14 v per cell , recharged , put it in a small plane , still works fine , was a 20c 3s rhino ...
my heli packs , i never store charged , charge them at the field before flying ...
Jul 03, 2016, 10:39 PM
I wonder if all the guys that use lipos as receiver packs or transmitter packs worry about storage voltage. Or starter batteries. I doubt it. Ain't sayin' it's right, just sayin'.
Jul 03, 2016, 10:45 PM
For lipolys that are used in very low drain applications, the damage due to being left fully charged is far less noticeable, to the point that it matters little. I know that I don't drain my cell phone, mp3 player, hand-held ham radio, tablet, etc. to storage level when not planning for immediate use.

That said, it's well-documented that laptop batteries that are kept at constant full charge (docking station) will have a shorter useful life than laptop batteries that are used in laptops which have provisions to charge to a lower voltage potential.

For high discharge applications (flight packs) that extract maximum performance from the cells, damage due to being kept at full charge is far more noticeable. Clearly, some lower power models that do not need maximum power-to-weight, the effects are more benign. It all boils down to convenience vs. tolerance for degradation. I personally never leave any of my high performance flight packs fully charged for more than a few hours.
Jul 03, 2016, 11:09 PM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
From a 'calender aging' point of view ('aging during storage') of a fully charged lipo cell - the lower the storage temperature (avoid freezing), the better.

Check out http://theampeer.org/lipo-intro/lipo-intro.html -> "Aging During Storage"

For a safety point of view of a fully charged lipo cell its similar, the lower the temperature the less critical, for a thermal runaway needs to reach the onset temperature.

Of course storing a discharged battery is a much better idea.
Jul 03, 2016, 11:38 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
For lipolys that are used in very low drain applications, the damage due to being left fully charged is far less noticeable, to the point that it matters little. I know that I don't drain my cell phone, mp3 player, hand-held ham radio, tablet, etc. to storage level when not planning for immediate use.
Most consumer electronics devices like Cell Phones and Tablets and Laptops don't charge their batteries to the maximum cut off. This makes them last a lot longer, which of course is why the manufacturers do it, in spite of losing some capacity/run time.

I remember reading a DoD report on Lithium batteries that said a full charge/discharge cycle will kill the battery in about 400 cycles. Limiting discharge to 75% of charge (using only 25%) extends the cycle life to 2500.

There are also safety concerns when you fully charge a battery. They are more likely to fail on the way to a full charge than a lesser charge, and temperature increases can cause a fully charge battery to spontaneously explode.

The batteries in consumer electronics all have built in Battery Management Systems (BMSs) that manage the charge and discharge cycle, which is why you can plug in to any generic USB socket to get a charge. USB provides the voltage and current and the BMS actually does the charging.

A good LiPo charger will limit the maximum charge to something less than 4.2V/Cell when the ambient temperature is colder, to minimize the risk of a battery failure should the pack subsequently get heated up before being discharged.
Jul 04, 2016, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly
I wonder if all the guys that use lipos as receiver packs or transmitter packs worry about storage voltage. Or starter batteries. I doubt it. Ain't sayin' it's right, just sayin'.
i wondered the same thing a while back cause i'm one of those guys that leaves my receiver lipo pack fully charged (over three years now), but all my motor batteries are kept at storage voltage. so i called horizon hobby tech support just to see what they do with their own aircraft lipos. they do the same thing i do.

Quick Reply