This thread is privately moderated by pchaplo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 26, 2016, 08:20 PM
Power by hearty franks & beans
Thread OP
Mini-Review

The Amass male anti-spark XT-90 "S" by Venom -- yes a MALE anti-spark connector? ...

Even think "Gosh, if I could have a male anti-spark XT-90 on my RC aircraft, pinch me! I could have the expensive connector on-board, and the simple XT-90's (without the resistor) on my existing hoard of 6s batteries! I could stop worrying about what the arcing spark is doing to my expensive electronics..."

So you go to Amazon, search and search... and there it is "Eureka!" you say to yourself -- the MALE anti-spark connector by Amass, in Venom packing, and sold by Atomik RC:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVS5T60

The Amazon ad reads: "Built in spark arrest technology helps to protect against current spikes and premature connector erosion that can lead to ESC failure. The XT90-S positive connector has a low current section to allow for a spark free initial connection."

[Snoopy dance!] as you place you order!

Like a kid, you look for packages and check your mailbox. The padded envelope is here! You open it and guess what? [rim shot ka boom ] It looks pretty ordinary. Where is the resistor and the low-voltage initial contact design THERE IS NONE ON THE MALE CONNECTOR! (despite the ad)

What they don't tell you is that if you were dreaming that the male connector on your RC aircraft could have the anti-spark technology so that your batteries could have the simple XT-90 female connectors -- you better keep on dreaming.

Bottom line is that the item is not as described. This MALE XT-90 does NOT have the anti-spark technology built into it.

Drat you, Red Baron -- I mean Atomic RC! I mean you!

The whole description in the website ad on Amazon:
"Protect your investment with Amass XT90-S Male Device Connector with Anti Spark Technology. Genuine Amass brand from the original inventor and patent holder of the XT90-S connector. Built in spark arrest technology helps to protect against current spikes and premature connector erosion that can lead to ESC failure. The XT90-S positive connector has a low current section to allow for a spark free initial connection. Two small tabs are then depressed so that the connector can be fully seated. Made from high temperature nylon and featuring gold plated 4.5mm spring connectors, the XT90-S provides a solid connection for applications up to a constant 90 amps and peak 120amps. The XT90-S Male Battery Connector is also compatible with standard XT90 Battery Connectors. Excellent connector solution for RC Quadcopters, UAVs, Drones, Airplanes and Jets, Cars and Trucks, as well as RC Boats. Upgrade your W.S. Deans T-Connectors today with Amass XT90-S Anti Spark connectors from Venom. Sold individually including one male connector. Packaged in poly bag and header card."

Here is what the product looks like in my hand. Disappointed.
Last edited by pchaplo; Jun 27, 2016 at 12:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2016, 12:44 AM
Permanently Banned
That is absolutely ridiculous.
Jul 02, 2016, 10:08 PM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
For XT connectors the anti-spark unit is ALWAYS on the female side. No exceptions.

(Homework: Think about how the connector is designed and ask yourself why this is the case... )
Dec 30, 2017, 11:26 AM
Thread resurrection as I have just started re-equipping for electric flight.

Terminology:-

The housing in the image is female and the connectors are male.

So the anti spark is in the Male housing...

Quick Reply