Aug 26, 2016, 08:31 AM
It seems that my plan has a different shaped elevator than others I have seen. So here are a few more snaps.

Simply carve to shape using your favourite method

Tomato can for scale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2016, 11:45 AM
It's all in the Blades!
Here is where it all started:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821810

As long as the model is not too nose heavy the elevator works fine, I am sure there was a video I made as the original was test flown explaining the adjustments as I experimented with the set up. Of course finding it is the issue!

Dave went with a load share head on his and it flew well.

Look forward to seeing yours finished Tim, I still have mine 8 years on though I haven't flown it for a number of years.

Rich
Aug 26, 2016, 12:11 PM
My elevator on the plan is 19 in X 2 3/4 in. Bryan's looks as if he's added two teardrops on. Anyhoo more wood whittling to do next week.

Aug 26, 2016, 12:17 PM
BTW apologies to Bryan for HiJacking his thread!

Aug 27, 2016, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
No issues there - I'm glad to see your project progressing.

My elevators are exactly to the plan I have. I think I remember seeing an old thread where in the very beginning Dave changed the elevators on the plan to the shape I have now.

I found the same thing Rich said. It felt like I didn't have enough elevator at first. But I added some back tilt to the rotor and moved the CG aft. This made the elevator much more responsive. I think I need to move it a bit more aft still.

Keep the pictures and progress coming.

Bryan
Aug 27, 2016, 10:04 AM
As I said before I can always extend the elevator if needed.
How about this for a pilot
http://www.churchillcreations.co.uk/animatronics.html
Sep 05, 2016, 12:43 PM
Another step forward this weekend with the airframe just about done. Today I am mostly cutting the hatches and latches for access to tank and radio gear, putting on the fake ribs on the fin and stab. Not much else I can do until the motor arrives. I decided to sell on the BNIB OS 120 pumper to a good home and now I am waiting for this Motor

I did consider the DLE 20 same as Bryan but it may be a bit noisy for my clubs.

So another questions is the colour and covering. I am thinking of Solartex to the main body and my usual tissue and dope to the mast. 3 options: Linen + paint, all silver with painted cowl, or White body with black trim and cowl, (Empire Flying School). Obviously I need good colour for orientation.
Last edited by BigTradioman; Sep 05, 2016 at 12:48 PM.
Sep 05, 2016, 04:18 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Tim,
. That's a big old motor for a dag 60, mine flies happily on a 91 four stroke. That said, better to have power to hand. Andy's has an OS120 in his and when it was Chas's I think a saito 110 was up front.

. Rich
Sep 05, 2016, 05:58 PM
So the Ngh 30 is equivalent to an OS 130 fs just twice the weight

Sep 05, 2016, 11:36 PM
Thread OP
Go with a color scheme with a lot of contrast. Mine has bright colors and I still find myself looking at the landing gear for orientation at a distance.

My DLE-20 weighs 29 oz (820 g) with ignition and muffler. This is a few ounces heavier than a .91 FS and a few ounces lighter than a 120 FS. I have the receiver and ignition batteries up front in the fuel tank compartment and the balance is good with no weight added. I am thinking of moving one of the batteries aft as I think I am still a bit nose heavy.

My primary reason for choosing the DLE-20 is that I swore off glow engines a few years back. It has considerably more power here than I need so it is destined for an easy life at 1/4-1/2 throttle for most of its flying. The extra power available is nice on takeoff (or to recover from a stupid) on the few occasions I feel I needed it. And gas here is less than $2 a gallon.

With your engine weighing a pound more you may want to make provisions for mounting your batteries further aft in the fuselage. Of course, one of the big advantages to the DAG 60 is the cavernous fuselage and excellent access to the interior through the top hatches.

Keep the progress reports coming.

Bryan
Sep 06, 2016, 01:36 AM
Tim

A big fuz like that cries out for some big letters.........I'm thinking either a Rothman's or Marlboro colour scheme, but I'm glad it wouldnt be me cutting them all out

Rich
Sep 06, 2016, 10:10 AM
Malcolmns got a vinyl cutter !!!

Steve
Sep 06, 2016, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
They're right....put some big sponsor logo on there.

Bryan
Sep 07, 2016, 03:23 AM

Finally!!

I saw this
Model Autogyro...1/4 scale Cierva C19 Mk IV rotor spin up test (1 min 55 sec)
. I rather like the Satin silver Solartex with a black nose and the Beech Nut, but the beech nut gyro was black and green I think. Like the logo idea Ricardo, (How's the retirement going!).
I suppose copying F1 cars and Bike marketing is an idea. They must spend millions getting it right.

Or

Last edited by BigTradioman; Sep 07, 2016 at 03:45 AM.
Sep 07, 2016, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoxey
Go with a color scheme with a lot of contrast. Mine has bright colors and I still find myself looking at the landing gear for orientation at a distance.

My DLE-20 weighs 29 oz (820 g) with ignition and muffler. This is a few ounces heavier than a .91 FS and a few ounces lighter than a 120 FS. I have the receiver and ignition batteries up front in the fuel tank compartment and the balance is good with no weight added. I am thinking of moving one of the batteries aft as I think I am still a bit nose heavy.

My primary reason for choosing the DLE-20 is that I swore off glow engines a few years back. It has considerably more power here than I need so it is destined for an easy life at 1/4-1/2 throttle for most of its flying. The extra power available is nice on takeoff (or to recover from a stupid) on the few occasions I feel I needed it. And gas here is less than $2 a gallon.

With your engine weighing a pound more you may want to make provisions for mounting your batteries further aft in the fuselage. Of course, one of the big advantages to the DAG 60 is the cavernous fuselage and excellent access to the interior through the top hatches.

Keep the progress reports coming.

Bryan

I get the no glow thing, I did the same. Gas at $2 a gallon! I wish. Currently we are paying around £1.12 a litre, that's about $5 a gallon.

The issue for me is wether the DLE 20 would be too loud for my club sites. I don't want to go and have to put large cans under the model, or spend £££ trying to get the noise down and then still have to change the motor out! But I get that the Ngh 30 may be too heavy, we all know that big light planes fly better than big heavy planes. And I don't build that light anyway. So I suppose I need to keep an eye open for a good used DLE or similar.

As for colours I have put the silver solartex on hold for now until more research is done.

Quick Reply