Jul 24, 2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks BigT.

The DLE-20 is running better and better as it is breaking in. Today I flew a 15 minute flight and it only used 6 oz of gas. Cool!

I have been making some trim adjustments and the DAG is flying better than ever. I really like this gyro! Here's a video from today:

Bryan

DAG 60 Another Flight (9 min 21 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2016, 02:05 AM
Very nice indeed, there's a man at one with his gyro! I may have to rethink the power plant or at least the muffler situation as we have a strict 82 DB at 7 meter rule at all 3 of my clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jul 25, 2016, 12:25 PM
82 db? That's a tough limit. That's like the sound of heavy breathing.

One good thing with the DLE-20 is that there is plenty of power. I fly mostly at 1/2 or less throttle. If you were able to find a quiet muffler there would still be plenty of power even if it choked it down a bit.

Bryan
Last edited by bdoxey; Jul 25, 2016 at 02:11 PM.
Jul 25, 2016, 12:45 PM
What a great flying model not to mention the color scheme.
Jul 25, 2016, 02:06 PM
Thanks GN. It's a great design. And it's the easiest flying gyro I have flown so far. I guess bigger is better.

Bryan
Jul 26, 2016, 02:12 AM
So I am committed now, ordered the wood yesterday, now I need to clear the bench and find a building board long enough to take the plan. No rush as I plan to make this a slow build around other stuff. I shall keep my eyes open for a used 20cc size gasser. I would prefer. Zenoah or similar as it has side inlet and exhaust. I do have a brand new OS 120 FS but don't fancy the mess of a glow. I have heard they can be converted to gasoline though.

Jul 26, 2016, 10:08 AM
Yes they can quite easily Tim, although the carburation can be a bit finicky if you retain the standard carb.
Jul 27, 2016, 02:01 AM

Finally!!

More research needed. Rich I will be bringing JK's GyrOne for set up and maiden😄 following the rebuild.

Aug 16, 2016, 01:53 PM
So my DAG is taking shape, slowly.

Aug 17, 2016, 05:18 PM
Slowly? Looks like you're smoking along to me.

Here's the landing gear dimensions you asked for. The drawing, while unbelievably professional looking is NOT to scale. I used 3/16" 6061-T6 (T651 and T6511 is basically the same stuff). That's about 4.7 mm for you guys across the pond. I still can't understand why the Jolly Old Empire doesn't use imperial units. I do know that we don't use metric because Americans suck at math.

It looks like the center width dimension may be hard to read in the picture. It should read 38 mm.

One trick I used. The vertical fin doesn't want to stay straight and is not very strong with the grain all in one direction. I cut off the top 15 mm or so of the fin and glued on a piece with the grain running long ways. I used one piece full length from the very front to the very back diagonally and then cut it to the plan shape. No weight gain but a very big improvement in strength and straightness for five minutes of work.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. Your DAG looks great so far.

Bryan
Aug 18, 2016, 02:06 AM

Finally!!

Excellent picture thank you. As I am of the baby boomer generation I tend to use whichever measurement, imperial or metric, is nearest to the one I want. Lots of confusion with us old tradesmen, old plumbers still talk inches, eg 3/4 tap connectors etc. We still talk in pints: as in lets go to the pub for a pint. Or I fancy a pint, but it's served up as 500 millilitres! If you go to a club or pub in Scotland, whiskey is still served in Gill which is 4 ounces in the USA.

Any way, thanks for the tip re the fin. I thought it looked odd with the grain vertical. I am sheeting the front in 1/8 th balsa. I did think about 1/16 ply like this old mate of mine does in this video
20150917 120643 compressed (3 min 38 sec)

http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/const..._and_tips.html

But I think balsa will be strong enough.
Cheers
Tim

Last edited by BigTradioman; Aug 18, 2016 at 02:19 AM.
Aug 20, 2016, 11:48 AM
Sometimes progress seems slow. Especially when trying to work out how to do things.

Andy reckoned it needs a bigger elevator so i added a bit. Not sure I like it so may redo the whole thing. Boy this thing it a real porker! Andys is 12.5 lbs wet. I suspect this will be more.

Aug 23, 2016, 08:00 PM
Tim,

I was surprised and a bit distressed when mine came out around 11 pounds or a bit more but it seems to fly fine. That's a lot of rotor disk so I think it will carry a lot. It has a much more solid feel than my smaller gyros and I really enjoy how it flies.

I used stock plan elevators and they seem sufficient. Early on it felt as if I was running out of elevator at slower speeds. Increasing the rotor back tilt a washer at a time and moving the CG aft increased the elevator effectiveness...or I guess more accurately reduced the need for more elevator.

With my current setup, full up elevator at low speed can put me in a bad situation. I am interpreting this as I don't need more elevator.

Keep the progress reports coming!

Bryan
Aug 25, 2016, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the info Bryan. I think the answer is to make 2 elevators, simple enough to swap out if the standard one is too small. I have used an iron on hinge system for years. Basically it's 2 strips of solartex 1.5 inches wide placed sticky side together and stitched down the centre. The backing is peeled off and then ironed on to the trailing edge top and bottom. The same is then done to the control surface.
I have decided to sell on the brand new in box OS 120 pumper glow that has been on the shelf for a few years rather than do a gas conversion on it. A UK company would do the conversion for around 250. This would include a new walbro carb, ignition system and exhaust, blanking off the pump setting up and running in. Glow fuel, Methanol, is so expensive in the UK due to fuel taxes etc and hard to get. Besides that the motor now retails for about 375 in the UK, I paid much less than that 10'years ago so I have sold it on. With glow
if you don't have a LMS you have to buy 4 gallons at a time, but it's smelly and gunky. So gas is the way forward but with noise a consideration I have decided to go for a NGH 30 four stroke. Until it arrives (back ordered with HK), I have no idea of balance so radio installation will have to wait, but I have installed a lite ply servo plate behind the mast for easy access
I have beefed up the fin with a cross grain tip to keep it straight. I started the top and bottom sheeting last weekend. This reminded me of those kits I built years ago where the instructions said "simply carve to shape using your favourite method".
Unfortunately I managed to squash my right index finger yesterday taking the skin on the tip pad off to the flesh and ripping the nail off so work must stop until the healing starts. Pictures to follow.

Tim
Ps Rich Harris tried to create a rotor brake for his DAG GT as it was difficult to stop the rotor spinning on landing. He was resorting to throwing a towel at the rotor to prevent a self destruction tip over. I did consider making this a tilting head like the RPG and Panther.
Aug 26, 2016, 04:11 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
Tim you will be fine with the standard elevator so I would stick with that first. Sorry to hear about the finger, it sounds painful! I think Rich did consider using a bicycle brake shoe to stop the rotors but you can of course just let them wind down out of wind, just takes time. Harold was good at stopping his blades with a synchronised catch!!!