Finally!! - Page 17 - RC Groups
Apr 17, 2017, 09:08 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
It's not about hair...it's what it's made of. I'm more of a wood guy!

What the heck are we talking about here anyway?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2017, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofaman NJ
LOL! Hair is over rated!
Going bald is great, the ladies dig it and I can shave and get a haircut at the same time.
Apr 17, 2017, 09:27 PM
Thanks Rich.............I think..........
Jun 27, 2017, 07:57 AM
Update

Finally managed to get the beast in the air on Monday at Winterton with the help and coaching of Rich H. I have to report that it was not the best flying experience I have ever had!

Despite running perfectly OK at home for 30 minutes, once at the field with the blades on the DLE 20RE played up yet again, the abillity to throttle up from idle being almost non existent causing the motor to either stall or if held on 1\4 to 1/2 throttle just peter out and stop. I finally managed to get some rough but reliable running by enriching the bottom end by 1/2 a turn out.

(I have never ever had to do this with any of my Zenoah or DA engines which once set never needed changed no matter the weather or the temperature).

The first circuit nearly ended in a write off as the motor quit on idle up on the down wind leg. As I had a bit of altitude I was able to get round into wind and with Rich's calm coaching in my right ear, Auto Rotated in for a hard landing, tipping over due to the energy in the blades.

On the second flight the model showed terrible handling on anything from half to full throttle as it yaws left and right, probably due to torque and propwash. Obviously its much easier to handle if flow slower but that was very near the stall, as I found out when the motor quit altogether. The handling is not great but the flights where not really long enough to get any sense that it was correctly trimmed. Its surprising how nervous an unreliable motor makes me feel, always expecting a dead stick, which was a good thing as it turned out!

The second flight was short as there developed a clanking rattle needing a quick landing to diagnose. On finals the dreaded throttle up nearly causing me to stall it at about 6feet up as I prepared for the flair. Pumping the throttle to keep the motor running gave me too much power and I landed out about 300 yards away! Thankfully Winterton's patch is HUGE. On recovery we discovered that the clanking was because the header had cracked off at the stub flange despite the can being soft mounted.

I don't know if or even how to proceed now, or even if I want to as the flying characteristics of my build of this model are not very nice at all. Nothing like what other owners and flyers have reported. I am sure that this is down to my build rather than the design. One thing is for sure, this DLE 20 is going in the bin, or at least on eBay and if I do decide to continue with the DAG 60 I will be installing either a Laser 150 http://www.laserengines.com/product/laser-155/ or OS GT22 http://www.osengines.com/engines-air...522/index.html
I am done with cheap unreliable motors.

But at least I can report that the AJ Blades and Richards Gearbox worked a treat!