Walkera Goggle 4 - RCGroups.com Review

We take Walkera's new stylish 5" single-lens FPV goggles for a spin!

Splash

Introduction

Product:Walkera Goggle 4
Screen size:5"
Resolution:800x480
Battery:7.4v 1200mAh
Weight:528g / 1.16lb
Price:$179.00
Available from:Walkera.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

Walkera is well known for their multirotors and FPV equipment. They recently released their first single-lens model, and I must say, it's pretty sexy! At just $179, you get a stylish FPV goggle with integrated 2s battery and charger. The single 5" screen has a resolution of 800x480, and comes with a dual-diversity antennae setup that will be able to pull in any one of the 40 raceband 5.8GHz channels. Let's take a closer look!

In the box

The goggles come packed very nicely in thick foam. In the box, you'll have the goggles, AC charger, USB power cord, whip antenna, LHCP antenna and a brief instruction sheet that reviews the button operations.

In keeping with the stylish design, the little joystick is multi-functional to help reduce the number of buttons needed on the case. Pressing the joystick will select your receiver band. Pulling the joystick back will open the on-screen menus, while pulling it to either side will toggle through the options or change the current options setting.

With Walkera's choice to use a USB cord to provide power from the rear battery to the goggle, it gives you the opportunity to easily use any commonly available USB power pack source if the stock battery dies. Even so, the stock battery should last a good length of time (est: 2 hours).

An AV Input jack is provided on the bottom of the goggle to allow you to view another video source, and the AV Output jack is located in the hidden panel where the USB cord connects into the goggle.

The padding around the goggle is very nice and cushy, not just a cheap foam pad. The comfort on the face is great; I didn't notice any pressure points and it rode comfortably on the nose. The straps are fully adjustable, so fitting your head won't be a problem.

For those of you wearing prescription glasses, there's enough room in the goggle for my glasses, but with not much room to spare. Depending on the size of your glasses, these may or may not work for you. Also, these goggles lack a cooling fan, so my glasses did fog up after a minute or two of use. However, my wife said she didn't notice any on her glasses when she was trying them on while I let her watch as my Nano QX FPV raced around the house. It may simply depend on current air conditions, and the fit on your face as to if they fog up or not. I'd really like to see a fan included in their upcoming DVR version.

Review Video

Walkera Goggle 4 - RCGroups.com Review (8 min 56 sec)

Summary

For under $200, the stylish new Goggle 4 from Walkera is a nice little unit. Sure, it's not the finest resolution, nor does it have DVR, or and adjustable lens...but that's a hard bill to fill for this price. The Headplay goggles have a better resolution and a few more options, but are considerably larger and not nearly as good-looking. And the smaller size of the Goggle4 will be a relief to your neck and nose on those long FPV sessions. If you're looking for a simple FPV goggle with the basic features and don't need all of the bells and whistles, but still want something decently stylish...then look no further than the Walkera Goggle 4.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jul 05, 2016 at 12:03 PM..
Jul 05, 2016, 10:20 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
The resolution?
How does it compare to the other HMD's?
(except HeadPlay)

These are the best looking HMD's out, but if the monitor
sucks, whats the point?....or can you dim the background
lighting.....your review made the LIVE video OUT look
dim and washed out. Too much background glare.
Last edited by rclab1; Jul 05, 2016 at 10:26 AM.
Jul 05, 2016, 10:50 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
The recording of the live video only looks washed out due to my studio lights, and the video camera trying to record a picture of a video on screen. It didnt seem dim or washed out to me when wearing. However, I haven't worn headplays to compare.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 05, 2016, 11:45 AM
^
In the article someone mentioned "not" as
clear compared to Headplays?
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Jul 05, 2016, 12:03 PM
Did you measure the latency?
Jul 05, 2016, 12:27 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by reznikvova
Did you measure the latency?
If you tell me how, I may be able to do that.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 05, 2016, 08:31 PM
Great review!!
Know more about Goggle 4 on Walkera official website: http://shop.walkera.com/index.php?ro...product_id=327

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/walkeraglobal/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/walkeraofficial
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChN...Ded1HaZTcLIOUA
Last edited by Walkeralive; Jul 05, 2016 at 10:12 PM.
Jul 05, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkeralive
Your sites are either broken or just full of pictures and
no LIVE video OUT....
Jul 06, 2016, 11:15 AM
RC Tech
Comparison with Walkera Goggle4 by diydrone

Compare Eachine GogglesOne, Kylin Vision, Walkera Goggle4 vs EV800 (12 min 20 sec)
Last edited by QUAdventure; Aug 26, 2016 at 04:26 AM.
Jul 06, 2016, 12:41 PM
These are the best HMD's made per moderator, . review and advertising.....lol
Last edited by rclab1; Jul 07, 2016 at 09:05 AM.
Jul 06, 2016, 04:15 PM
With no HDMI in, this is only as good as the Quanum Cyclops..
Jul 06, 2016, 07:20 PM
Upstanding Member
Cool to see more HMDs hitting the market. So much more immersive than goggles, for less money. Win Win.

I've been enjoying my Headplay HDs for over 6 months, but have modded them fairly extensively (anti-fog/face cooling fan, HMDVR for recording video, Airblade antenna, Fatshark battery, shark's mouth stickers )

Really looking forward to reading reviews of the Goggle4 "HD" model with 720p resolution like the Headplays.
Jul 07, 2016, 03:06 AM
how good is the diversity on it? I think thats the main thing this google has going for it. If it sucks, why would anybody else get it?
Jul 07, 2016, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotaryknight
how good is the diversity on it? I think thats the main thing this google has going for it. If it sucks, why would anybody else get it?
...because its reviewed by some guy who got a free product
Jul 07, 2016, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
If you tell me how, I may be able to do that.
Point the fpv camera at a clock, film the goggles displaying the clock, and have the real clock in the picture at the same time.

While this also includes camera and vtx latency, that's usually not much.

Quick Reply